Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Maybe, it's Samsung's fault. 2008 was the year of Samsung-Pentax, a disaster for Pentax. They put a Sony sensor back in there--suddenly, they're selling cameras (or rather, a camera), again.
It's not "a camera", it's the K-7, too. Now the kit is at #15 (and the K-m also still appears on the list).
??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

01-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2008 was the year of Samsung-Pentax, a disaster for Pentax. They put a Sony sensor back in there--suddenly, they're selling cameras (or rather, a camera), again.
I very happy with my K20d with its Samsung sensor. Things have moved on since it came out, but is was impressive when it was released.

Or are you say that the Japanese are xenophobic because Samsung is a Korean company?

Dan.
01-20-2010, 04:34 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Canon makes their own sensors.

Heres one article about Canon expanding sensor production plant size in Japan a couple years ago.
Thanks for the correction....

Is Japan #1 market for Dslr sales?

If not, then why does the one country statistic matter? Why is Japan such an important statistic?
While Japan has only a slice of the world population, and thus only a small percentage of sales, I think the belief is that Canon, Nikon and Pentax are being run from Japan. I also think the belief is that camera use is extensive within the Japanese population. There are also decades of photographic focus coming from that country. When you combine those 3 aspects, it appears to be a reasonable barometer on the health of an Asia based camera company.

Maybe, it's Samsung's fault. 2008 was the year of Samsung-Pentax, a disaster for Pentax. They put a Sony sensor back in there--suddenly, they're selling cameras (or rather, a camera), again.
I think there is some truth to this. I dropped Canon and came back to Pentax after hearing how good the k10d was. While I love my k20d and K7, they seemed to have received quite a few negative reviews. I avoided the k20d for the first year based on the reviews I read, which pointed towards a mediocre sensor. I eventually picked up the k20d and loved it, but the k20d and k7 just don't seem to be getting the same hype as the k10d and kx...
01-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #49
juu
Veteran Member

Why is Japan such an important statistic?
First, these seem to be the only sales statistics which can be obtained on a regular basis. No other markets seem to publish them.

Second, the Japanese love their cameras and other consumer electronics items, so they have in the past been early adopters for the rest of the world to follow.

Thus new trends, such as the move to EVIL, may become evident in Japan first.

01-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Here's the CIPA link to 2001-Nov2009 Camera sales

Here's the CIPA link to 2001-Nov2009 Camera sales

CIPA:Digital Cameras
01-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

And (as far as I have been told) SLRs are modeled after the 1957 Asahi Pentax.....and many of the Pentax models during that era were first out of the gate for much that we take for granted today....
01-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Thanks for the correction....

While Japan has only a slice of the world population, and thus only a small percentage of sales, I think the belief is that Canon, Nikon and Pentax are being run from Japan. I also think the belief is that camera use is extensive within the Japanese population. There are also decades of photographic focus coming from that country. When you combine those 3 aspects, it appears to be a reasonable barometer on the health of an Asia based camera company.

I think there is some truth to this. I dropped Canon and came back to Pentax after hearing how good the k10d was. While I love my k20d and K7, they seemed to have received quite a few negative reviews. I avoided the k20d for the first year based on the reviews I read, which pointed towards a mediocre sensor. I eventually picked up the k20d and loved it, but the k20d and k7 just don't seem to be getting the same hype as the k10d and kx...
It is because people are drawned in the most measurable spec. In particular everybody is focused on low light performance. K20D and K7 are wonderful cameras below 800 isos and not so great above. If we were speaking about Film this would just a characteristic of the medium, a constraint to work with. Now with all this iso craze, this is a deal breaker.

Yes, a good high iso performance is very usefull in many situations, but I prefer the low iso performance, the extra pixels and the rendering of the K20D at 100%.
01-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #53
Veteran Member

According to wikipedia

According to wikipedia,

it says 1957 Asahi Pentax:

Asahi Pentax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this:

http://www.cameraquest.com/pentorig.htm

and this:

http://www.nanites.co.uk/history%20of%20early%20pentax.htm

and this:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Pentax_(original)

and in 2007 this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07060101pentax50thdslr.asp

I wonder what happened to this 50th anniversary model based on K10D when Hoya closed down the Pentax Museum in Japan ???

More images of 50th Anniversary model at the now shuttered Pentax Museum in Japan:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/other/2007/06/01/6368.html

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-20-2010 at 06:35 AM.
01-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes...I have the Ashai Pentax and the 1958 K....and I was a little surprised when I first handled one at how modern they are. Some aspects of new models, like viewfinders, are not nearly as good as older SLRs, but I guess adding all of the electronic displays etc makes it difficult (that and it would be too expensive to produce today). If you ever get a chance to pick one up to see what a 50+ year old camera feel like...do it. You'll be impressed.

Sorry to go off topic....but as mentioned, the history probably has something to do with folks still looking to Japan as a baseline...