Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Saw a lot Pentaxes in Japan, way more than in the US. It was a nice sight to see!

01-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Why are Japan Dslr sales such an important statistic?

For 2009 Japan Dslr marketshare has declined to 11% of total dslr sales.

Who's buying the other 89%?

See Jan 14th posting at:

Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

I do think K-x getting 3rd place in Japan in December is OUTSTANDING.
I wonder what part of K-x "available in 100 colors" in Japan had to do with the 3rd place in one month victory?
Because for the last 40 years, that is the focal point of Photography engineering (sorry Germany). It is a barometer of what the reaction will be in the rest of the world.

While I love my K7 for what I use it for, low ISO in unbelievable detail, the majority of new users want higher ISO. I honestly believe that Samsung has unintentionally given almost the death blow to Pentax. Now that it is obvious that Samsung is not yet a competitor in this market, perhaps Pentax can align itself with a more mature and competent player.
01-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I honestly believe that Samsung has unintentionally given almost the death blow to Pentax. Now that it is obvious that Samsung is not yet a competitor in this market, perhaps Pentax can align itself with a more mature and competent player.
Who is left that isn't already aligned? Kodak?
01-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Who is left that isn't already aligned? Kodak?
Probably the same folks that are outsourced to make "Nikon" and "Canon" sensors....... Just like Pentax outsourced it's film shutters for decades.... You need to look at this at a business level..not a consumer one....

01-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Probably the same folks that are outsourced to make "Nikon" and "Canon" sensors....... Just like Pentax outsourced it's film shutters for decades.... You need to look at this at a business level..not a consumer one....
I thought Canon made their own sensors, and Nikon bought from Sony. Maybe I am wrong though.
01-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I thought Canon made their own sensors, and Nikon bought from Sony. Maybe I am wrong though.
Both Canon and Nikon use Sony sensors in many of their cameras. The also both make their own sensors. The truth of the matter is that all three, Sony (to a lesser extent), Nikon and Canon don't make the sensors that are labeled as theirs. No company these days is going to start from scratch, and a camera company is not all of a sudden going to be an expert in creating chips and sensors. Open your "Dell" computer and tell me the names of the chips on the inside...... It can get a little more hazy if something of importance like a sensor is involved, but just because it says "Canon" doesn't mean it hasn't been outsourced to Canon.
01-16-2010, 04:15 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both Canon and Nikon use Sony sensors in many of their cameras. The also both make their own sensors. The truth of the matter is that all three, Sony (to a lesser extent), Nikon and Canon don't make the sensors that are labeled as theirs. No company these days is going to start from scratch, and a camera company is not all of a sudden going to be an expert in creating chips and sensors. Open your "Dell" computer and tell me the names of the chips on the inside...... It can get a little more hazy if something of importance like a sensor is involved, but just because it says "Canon" doesn't mean it hasn't been outsourced to Canon.
This isn't unique to the camera business. Take e.g. car engines, where e.g. Swedish Volvos and German Fords use several engines from french Peugeot/Citroën.

01-16-2010, 05:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why are Japan Dslr sales such an important statistic?
Because Japan is the home market for all of these companies. And it's still one of the biggest markets for cameras.
01-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Canon makes their own sensors

Canon makes their own sensors.

Heres one article about Canon expanding sensor production plant size in Japan a couple years ago.

Canon to build $451 mln factory for key camera part
TOKYO

Technology

A spokesman for the world's largest digital camera maker said it broke ground in May on a new building on an existing site in Kanagawa Prefecture near Tokyo and expected it to start operations in July 2008.

The factory will make complementary metal oxide semiconductors (CMOS), a component used in digital cameras and video cameras to convert light into an electric signal.

The new plant will have roughly the same annual production capacity as another factory in Kanagawa that can churn out 3 million CMOS chips a year, the spokesman said.

The CMOS chips will be used in both single lens reflex (SLR) models as well as in some compact models. Canon's compact cameras have to date used a different type of image sensor called a charge-coupled device (CCD).

Canon has procured CCDs from other suppliers such as Sony Corp. (6758.T), but it has been developing CMOS sensors for compact models as part of its strategy of bringing key component production in-house to lower costs.

Canon is aiming to produce 24 million digital cameras this year, including 3 million SLRs, which are high-end models that use interchangeable lenses.

Canon to build $451 mln factory for key camera part | Reuters

01-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Another link to Canon's own Sensor manufacturing

Another link to Canon's own Sensor manufacturing

Canon : The World of Canon CMOS Sensors
01-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #26
Veteran Member

& More Canon makes their own sensors info...

& More Canon makes their own sensors info...

Canon Digital Learning Center

and...

http://www.anandtech.com/digitalcameras/showdoc.aspx?i=3290&p=4

>>>"

Canon had become a dominant player in the SLR market after their successful launch of the EOS all-electronic mount for AF. Canon was also large enough with enough resources to develop and manufacture their own sensors. Canon launched a professional standard APS-H camera, with a 1.3X lens multiplier that used existing Canon 35mm lenses. Later, when Canon was ready to create a consumer digital SLR market they used a smaller 22.2x14.8mm sensor with an area of 328mm² and a lens multiplier of 1.6X. This is 38% the area of a full-frame sensor.

<<<"

and another linky, from 2005 describing their Cmos full frame sensor production:

>>>"

Canon developed its propriety split exposure technology. By transferring superfine circuit patterns in two or three passes, we are able to cover the entire area of a 35mm full-frame sensor. This feat was possible only because Canon has its own original manufacturing equipment that has nanometer-level accuracy. The manufacturing process for the 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor is optimized by transferring in one pass the elements of the circuit patterns that do not require super precision.

<<<"

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/cmos/technology-e/semiconductor.html

You want more links on who makes Canon's CMOS Sensors???

Google it

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-16-2010 at 06:33 AM.
01-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

In 2009 Japan accounted for 11% of total dslr sales

In 2009 Japan accounted for ONLY 11% of total dslr sales.

Who bought the other 89% of Dslrs made in 2009?

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Because Japan is the home market for all of these companies. And it's still one of the biggest markets for cameras.
01-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Why is 11% "only"?
01-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

The rest of the world. Countries that are in Europe, North and South America, Africa and the rest of Asia plus Australia and New Zealand. What are there about 178 other countries? Perhaps some guy on one of the oceanic islands bought one too.
01-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The rest of the world. Countries that are in Europe, North and South America, Africa and the rest of Asia plus Australia and New Zealand. What are there about 178 other countries? Perhaps some guy on one of the oceanic islands bought one too.
You forgot the scientists on Antarctica.