Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
Forum Member

Seeing the k7 rebate keeps going on i can stop myself from guessing that due to kx, pentax is losing money with the k7 sales? And its a vicious cycle. If sales dun go well, pentax cant release something big. And without something big customers are reluctant to buy anything as well. Everyone seems to be waiting for something better than kx to come. Kx's good performance has seems to me like a double edge sword.

01-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
Seeing the k7 rebate keeps going on i can stop myself from guessing that due to kx, pentax is losing money with the k7 sales? And its a vicious cycle. If sales dun go well, pentax cant release something big. And without something big customers are reluctant to buy anything as well. Everyone seems to be waiting for something better than kx to come. Kx's good performance has seems to me like a double edge sword.
Pentax usually has a rebate program with each release of their flagship body...this is no different that what they did with the releases of the K10D and K20D in the last few years. I wouldn't worry about anything, unless of course, that makes you happy.

Jason
01-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a cycle really -- Pentax releases a camera, then a couple of months go by and they drop the price a little, then they offer some sort of rebate and then finally, two to three months before they announce their next camera they drop the price to whatever their lowest level is. I don't think that a) they ever expected to sell the same number of K7s as Kxs or b)they are losing money on the K7.

People aren't waiting on something better. I would say that Pentaxians are cheap and they are waiting on a significant price drop.
01-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #19
Forum Member

Lol nice point there. I admit im one of the cheapos waiting

01-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #20

I finally pulled the trigger on the k-7, I never upgraded from the ist*DL and it's long past time. The weather sealing was the biggest selling point over the k-x. Living in the PacNW and shooting in the rain and snow makes it a must.
01-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #21

I agree with many ppl here that the K-7 will be reduced significantly in next 3-4 monts. And that logic affects every single electrical equipment in the market.

However, to me, the difference of $300 -$400 (ppl suggested above) is not worth for me to wait for that long time because this is the 1st DLSR I have. My time is more worthy than that much of money.

Just my 2 cents
01-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AirSupply Quote
I agree with many ppl here that the K-7 will be reduced significantly in next 3-4 monts. And that logic affects every single electrical equipment in the market.

However, to me, the difference of $300 -$400 (ppl suggested above) is not worth for me to wait for that long time because this is the 1st DLSR I have. My time is more worthy than that much of money.
I pretty much agree with you, AirSupply. Whatever I buy--a K20D or a K-7--will be my first DSLR, and I'm not about to wait another three or four months. Having just bought a nice K-series lens, I want something to put it on (besides a K1000, that is!).

And I don't think it's just Pentax, or just the K-7. Look at the D300s, which has dropped a couple hundred bucks in the last few months.

I can see the K-7 dropping a couple hundred over the next few months, but not significantly more than that. I see K20Ds going for $700 new now, but it's been quite a while since the K-7 was released. Then again, my experience with Pentaxian price cycles is pretty non-existent.

And while $100 isn't much, it's still a pretty close to 9% of the kit price. Toss another decent lens in there, and that's a $200 rebate, roughly 12-13% or the price of the kit and the lens. Maybe there are better deals, but that's not too shabby. I can understand why some folks wouldn't want to get a rebate that wasn't cash at the register, but I'll take it.

If, that is, I opt for the K-7 and not the K20D. . . .
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #23

@grey: I always use the rebate Visa card for making payment for my ultilities bills. Not an inconvenience for me at all

01-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Look at the D300s, which has dropped a couple hundred bucks in the last few months.
I'm guessing they dropped its price to stop people from switching to Canon for the 7D (which hasn't dropped $1 in price since it was announced).

Nikon is kind of lost in the woods right now. Which is hard to believe since they made the best enthusiast/pro cameras on the market during the D300/700/D3 era. A lot of their users aren't happy with the minor upgrades they've offered to that generation of cameras. Of course I don't know why they are upset, not exactly sure how they could really improve a Nikon D300. The D700 replacement should be interesting for them. I think they're going to have to up the megapixels on it to compete with the 5D Mk II, but then it might purge sales from their $8000 D3x.
01-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Wow, sure enough D300s is $1499 today

Wow, sure enough D300s is $1499 today. A solid $300 drop since its launch.

Pentax K-7 is down just $250 & its been available twice as long. Had Pentax trash canned their current rebate scheme I'd expect more K-7 price drops immediately. It'll happen, we'll see a solid $600 off launch price some 9 months after K-7 issue which is as usual with Pentax dslr pricing. Having a dslr inhand is a powerful tool. It saves you lots of money in not having to buy the next new toy upon issue. Wait and save serious cash. Most everyone here does photography as a hobby, not a business. $600 is a serious savings for waiting just 9 months to buy a dslr, at least $600 is a serious savings to me. Savings at point of sale trumps jumping thru hoops like "all rebate items must be purchased on same receipt." A Silly Game, which after loosing unfullfilled rebate money in the past is easy for me to pass on.

Nikon | D300s SLR Digital Camera Body | 25464 | B&H Photo Video

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I'm guessing they dropped its price to stop people from switching to Canon for the 7D (which hasn't dropped $1 in price since it was announced).

Nikon is kind of lost in the woods right now. Which is hard to believe since they made the best enthusiast/pro cameras on the market during the D300/700/D3 era. A lot of their users aren't happy with the minor upgrades they've offered to that generation of cameras. Of course I don't know why they are upset, not exactly sure how they could really improve a Nikon D300. The D700 replacement should be interesting for them. I think they're going to have to up the megapixels on it to compete with the 5D Mk II, but then it might purge sales from their $8000 D3x.
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The D300s has dropped $300 because I wouldn't suspect it's up to Nikon's sale standards, like the D3x.

Nikon hasn't really introduced anything new and exciting since the D90. The D3x was expensive, the D3s was a D3 with video, and the D300s was a D300 with video.

And their "big" event last year was a non-event. That's what happens when you make like Microsoft and announce a product long before it's ready; you end up the fool.
01-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, while I don't feel this is a good deal in general for those with a lens lineup they like, there is one reason this is a nice deal for even those of us not looking to buy a lens and body at the same time....don't you get the $100 rebate with the kit as well? If so then it's a nice deal where you get the body and a 18-55WR for just over $1k and if you sell the kit lens for $125 that means about $900 for the body...not so bad really. Still I am not enticed....
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #28
Inactive Account

After nearly forty years working in film with my Nikon and Leica gear, I have finally relented and prepared myself to dive into digital and purchase a K7 with 50-135 DA* lens for starters. Actually I can get the K7 with kit 18-55 for $30.00 more that just the body, so I figured, why not?, especially since that would enable me to get $200 in rebate cards (a 2 year extended Pentax warranty is included as well). These incentives started me wondering if Pentax has something new in the wings, and now ya'll throw in this talk of significant future price drops. Sure makes me wonder more. I'm tired of researching and reading review after review. I am ready to buy, but don't know if I should maybe be patient a little longer. Any advice?
Cheers to all.
01-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zenspector Quote
After nearly forty years working in film with my Nikon and Leica gear, I have finally relented and prepared myself to dive into digital and purchase a K7 with 50-135 DA* lens for starters. Actually I can get the K7 with kit 18-55 for $30.00 more that just the body, so I figured, why not?, especially since that would enable me to get $200 in rebate cards (a 2 year extended Pentax warranty is included as well). These incentives started me wondering if Pentax has something new in the wings, and now ya'll throw in this talk of significant future price drops. Sure makes me wonder more. I'm tired of researching and reading review after review. I am ready to buy, but don't know if I should maybe be patient a little longer. Any advice?
Cheers to all.
It's not really the place to discuss this matter (new and rumor section) but as generic advice regarding consumer electronics, just buy what you need when you need it. Never ealier and never more than you need. Otherwise you will be eventually deceived by the price drop of existing product or by the performance/new features of new products.

If you think you need/want a DSLR now and that the K7 is the camera for you, buy it now. New, better cameras will come, but during that time you will miss pictures... Now if you think that a cheaper camera is OK for you, then buy it. The money you will save now will help you to buy a replacement sooner.

The same goes for computers. It's much better value to buy a 1000$ computer every 2 years than a 2000$ computer every 4 years. The performance of the 1000$ computer will be already better that the performance of the 2000$ / 2 year old computer (and you will have an additional working computer)

Guillaume
01-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Savings from waiting: $200
Shots missed while waiting: priceless.

Explains why I have invested as much as I have in the last 2-3 years. Whether we're talking about rapidly-growing children or older family members in fragile health or our very special vacations in wherever (well, actually London), I feel that I must get these images now.

I look carefully for used gear and sales but I'll pay list in a heartbeat if it means that I can take my new K7 to London for three weeks. And I did exactly that.

I understand, though, that not everyone is in the position to do that.

ghelary has it right. I've taken the same tack for computing and televisions as well as photo gear. Not every guess is optimum but none has been wrong.

YMMV.