Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Good point ghelary and glanglois, and well taken. I ordered my K7 with DA*50-135 today. Also the fact that I just found that can get an adapter to fit my Leica lens' to the K7 made the decision even easier. Thanks and Cheers.

01-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Be careful with Leica stuff.

Leica R mount can be adapted by dismounting a part of existing mount. The change is reversible though.

On Leica M mount (classic Leica), the registration distance is significantly shorter than on K-mount. any adapter would loose infiniti focus.

There's plenty of exceptional Pentax manual glass, not counting the FA and DA ltd and Zeiss primes, so you may find your need here.
01-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #33
Pentaxian

The motto of technology, in my opinion:

Wait as long as you can, and then buy as much (computer, camera, etc) as you can afford.

Things always get cheaper, and new things are always on the horizon. That much is inevitable. With a camera, however, you have to think about this: what if your child takes his/her first steps while you were waiting on a camera to drop an extra $50? $50 seems like a ton of money now...
01-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Wait as long as you can, and then buy as much (computer, camera, etc) as you can afford.

Things always get cheaper, and new things are always on the horizon. That much is inevitable. With a camera, however, you have to think about this: what if your child takes his/her first steps while you were waiting on a camera to drop an extra $50? $50 seems like a ton of money now...

01-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #35

Any chance of Canadian getting benefit of lens rebate

Hi Folks. I've been reading the great posts on this forum for over a year and now its finally time to buy. I plan to buy a K7 and 4 lenses from B&H and it seems that the rebate doesn't apply to Canadian shipping addresses. It's a shame to lose out on the $400 rebates so I was wondering if anyone has found a work around for that. Short of going to the states myself or having someone there buy my gear for me, are there any suggestions on how to get the rebate. I have been waiting for a price drop on the K7 but I think I'm about to crack. Spring is in the air here in Vancouver and I need to get out there. Anyway, thanks for this great forum and site. And thanks to any replies in advance.
01-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a cycle really -- Pentax releases a camera, then a couple of months go by and they drop the price a little, then they offer some sort of rebate and then finally, two to three months before they announce their next camera they drop the price to whatever their lowest level is. I don't think that a) they ever expected to sell the same number of K7s as Kxs or b)they are losing money on the K7.

People aren't waiting on something better. I would say that Pentaxians are cheap and they are waiting on a significant price drop.
hahaha....I gues I must be cheap because I see no reason to spend an extra $400-$600 on a body when I could use that cash to add more and better glass while waiting out the pricing cycle on the bodies...is not the conventional wisdom to buy better glass over a new body simply because it is a new body? Or is that somehow wrong to understand? hehehehe....
02-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #37

Does anyone think this $100 rebate is part of the reason lenses have been pricey lately?

Maybe its just the conspiracy theorist in me.

SB

02-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #38
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10D bottomed out at about $500 (I bought it for that with a rebate from Pentax).

The K20D I saw new for just a little over $600 before the price went back up (this was shortly after the K7 came out). I almost bought it!

The question for me is where will the K7 bottom out at - maybe $700? I am thinking buying the K7, but I can wait!
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #39
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote

A reasonable motto that I have heard as well. Another motto could be - buy toward the end of the of the product lifecycle/technology curve and either a) save a lot of money or b) buy much more often!
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #40
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the bottom price will only come until after the replacement has been officially announced but not released, or leaks from early beta testers start becoming commonplace; in either case as cause for sales to clearly start falling off of prospective buyers waiting to see "what's next" is going to deliver, calling for a price-cut to spur sales.