Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 + lens rebate extended

Just when I thought I'd missed out on the $100 rebate per lens, Pentax extends the offer through Feb 15, 2010:

<http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/pdf/K-7_Lenses%20Rebate-021510.pdf>

I don't see this mentioned elsewhere yet (Amazon, B&H), but I'm guessing it will show up on their sites soon.

01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only problem is you have to cut your box up. I'm not keen on doing that, but for $200 off the kit I was planning on getting I guess I can stand it.

Good to know it was extended. I was kind of disappointed that I had missed it.
01-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would have been nice if they'd extend it until after PMA instead of ending it a week before the show. I hate to buy gear right before PMA or Photokina. Even without a rebate it usually ends up being cheaper a month later after they've announced their new toys.
01-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Just when I thought I'd missed out on the $100 rebate per lens, Pentax extends the offer through Feb 15, 2010:

<http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/pdf/K-7_Lenses%20Rebate-021510.pdf>

I don't see this mentioned elsewhere yet (Amazon, B&H), but I'm guessing it will show up on their sites soon.
my guess is K7 sales are sliding because so many of us are simply waiting for the price to drop and also are waiting to see where Pentax is really gonna go...but the only way the $100 rebate is a good deal is when someone has $3k-$4k to spend on a body and a few lenses...otherwise to me it's nothing special. I hope it leads to a glut of cheaper quasi-new K7's for sale. Plus there is the whole issue of dealign with one of those sleazy mail-in rebate companies...ick!!

01-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Taking a razor knife and cutting out a small UPC from your box to get a $100 gift card is hardly a labor. The entire process of filling the form, cutting out the UPC and sending a copy of the receipt takes what, 5 minutes?

Jason
01-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The only problem is you have to cut your box up.
I know what you mean. I wish Pentax would do what Epson let me do with my printer barcode--submit a scan or other digital image, rather than cutting up the box. And with the way Pentaxians (and those Canonikons, too) are about their boxes being part of their "like new" and "mint" kits, it sure would be nice not to have to slice things up.

On the other hand, if it saves enough on glass to make purchases worthwhile, well, I can do it!
01-17-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
I know what you mean. I wish Pentax would do what Epson let me do with my printer barcode--submit a scan or other digital image, rather than cutting up the box. And with the way Pentaxians (and those Canonikons, too) are about their boxes being part of their "like new" and "mint" kits, it sure would be nice not to have to slice things up.

On the other hand, if it saves enough on glass to make purchases worthwhile, well, I can do it!
Exactly. I don't want to cut up my box, but for the money I am getting back I sure will do it!
01-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Would have been nice if they'd extend it until after PMA instead of ending it a week before the show. I hate to buy gear right before PMA or Photokina. Even without a rebate it usually ends up being cheaper a month later after they've announced their new toys.
I was thinking that, too. After checking prices yesterday morning and seeing no change, I checked the Pentax site, and there was the extended rebate.

I guess it will be a while before the prices drop further on the K-7. . . .

01-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is $1000 too much for the K-7? Seems like a great deal considering what commensurate bodies from other manufacturers cost.
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wish they would have started a new rebate just for the K-7.
I guess I'll have to go with the $1028.99 and free shipping deal.
Pentax | K-7 14.6 MEGAPIXEL, 3.0 INCH LCD SCREEN, SR SHAKE REDUCTION, WEATHER & DUST RESISTANT PRO DIGITAL SLR CAMERA BODY *FREE SHIPPING* | 17811 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer
01-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #11

I want just a lens

I was hoping Pentax would have a sale on lenses, I don't need the body. I am thinking of just going to a swap meet and buying a used one.
01-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
Is $1000 too much for the K-7? Seems like a great deal considering what commensurate bodies from other manufacturers cost.
Oh it is a great deal (it was unimaginable that a camera that good could be that cheap 4 years ago)...but unless there's some pressing need to get one now it will just get cheaper. I once bought a brand new Nikon D200 for $600 from Best Buy, less than a year earlier it was $1700. However I do pay full retail for lenses, they seem to never go down. Hell, recently they've gone up. I'm still kicking myself for selling my 43mm Limited. I paid $450 for it brand new, and now they're over $700
01-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think K-7 will be 1 Cent less than $700 at end of April 2010

I think K-7 will be 1 Cent less than $700 at end of April 2010.

Spend over $1000 now on K-7 or wait 3&1/2 months and save $300 more and no lens purchases required. That's if past dslr pricing predict the future pricing yet again. I never pay full price for anyone's dslr. If a dslr is not seriously discounted I make do with what I already own. Pentax dslrs always shed fully 1/2 of issue well within a year. Deja Vu...

Anyways, this is not a cash back rebate, its a visa card thats good for like 60 days after issue. Not valid everywhere, no cash back, expires quickly if you actually receive it. I've gotten burned twice last three years on photo related rebates.

Concerning cameras and lenses Canon stopped making people cut boxes a few years ago. They do instant point of sale money off. No mail away and pray rebate schemes.

Last edited by Samsungian; 01-17-2010 at 06:21 PM.
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Cameras always go down, that much is inevitable. It has always been the case. The body is expendable.

But as you noted, lenses are the investment. Pentax is probably the best evident of this fact; a $1000 lens from thirty years ago still works just fine on the latest body. And it's probably worth just as much as it was when it was purchased.
01-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I think K-7 will be 1 Cent less than $700 at end of April 2010.

Spend over $1000 now on K-7 or wait 3&1/2 months and save $300 more and no lens purchases required. That's if past dslr pricing predict the future pricing yet again. I never pay full price for anyone's dslr. If a dslr is not seriously discounted I make do with what I already own. Pentax dslrs always shed fully 1/2 of issue well within a year. Deja Vu...

Anyways, this is not a cash back rebate, its a visa card thats good for like 60 days after issue. Not valid everywhere, no cash back, expires quickly if you actually receive it. I've gotten burned twice last three years on photo related rebates.

Concerning cameras and lenses Canon stopped making people cut boxes a few years ago. They do instant point of sale money off. No mail away and pray rebate schemes.
I completely agree with ya and am waiting. My K20D works well enough, even with the warts it has. To quote Valentine Michael Smith "...waiting is..."....

...most of us are not needing to buy 3-4 lenses and a body so the $100 mail-in rebate is not of as much value as it seems on the surface...it's like 5% the body and lens, BFD...

I am not sure if there will be a $300 drop by the end of April, but, you have been around modern day Pentax longer than I, so I will trust your judgement, as well as that of others. It's certainly not going to cost me MORE for the body if I wait longer. And since I can't afford to spend $4k on glass alone to make the rebate meaningful, I see the $100 thing as stepping over dollar in the future to pick up pennies today.

But obviously something is up if Pentax is trying to push this program further. I take that to mean, Pentax failed to generate the revenue as expected during the previous period. The profit is in the lenses not the bodies...so they like the rebate to the lenses as an attempt to misdirect those who are attracted to "shiny" as in a new body that is gathering dust on the shelves.

My funds are earmarked for adding more better glass before a new body. One can always grab a body at a reasonable price, the secret is in the glass...something easily overlooked.

About the rebates themselves, I can offer first person problems with mail-in rebate scams...and they are scams...just google them. I believe it was either early last year or sometime in 2008 one of the rebate processors went tits up leaving 1000s of people w/o their refunds. I don't remember the company involved, it might have been Canon, I forget though.

Anyway, a few years back SanDisk had a mail-in rebate thing and if you bought three 8GB cards you got $160 back on a gift debit card. I mailed in everything as required, affixed the UPC codes to the form and was promptly denied for not providing complete information,, specifically the UPC codes...I saved copies of the forms and UPC symbols as they were sent in...and before any net-nanny spouts their bullshit, these were purchased from Beach Camera and not some sort of fake CF cards. Anyway, I got my "post card of denial" in the mail, called the 800 number and was told that was there it still denied and no chance to get a refund...???...look I was dealing with two family members in convalescent care as the only remaining family member and photography was supposed to be my relief from stress so I just decided to not press on even further...this is what the rebate processors are absolutely counting on because the more refunds the deny the more profit they make. That is how their contracts are structured...so they automatically deny a percentage of filings known many people just give up. So, what I did was decide to never again buy ANY SanDisk product...simple solution. Nor will any mail in rebates/refunds make me buy a product, I either get the cash off at the register or I don't buy the product...THAT is why they are not worth the effort for the child who made the snarly remark earlier in the tread in reference to my earlier comment...sadly others who had the same sort of problem, called the 800 number and were reprocessed right away...luck me I suppose but I did not have the energy to add more frustrations to my day dealing with some small amount like $160..just not worth it.

Samsungian: FYI, in most states in the US it is not legal to limit any form of gift card, rebate card or whatever as far as expiration dates. if it is CASH BACK then it is CASH pure and simple. It would be interesting to know if there is a loop-hole that HoyaTax has found or is trying to create...but in California last time I looked into the laws about such things, it was illegal to charge fees to: maintain records, issue replacement certificates or cards, or to expire such cards/credits. Also, I don't think it would be hard to use up a Visa debit card no matter what the value inside 60-days even if it was legal to restrict the time-frame...as this is a a CASH rebate program the use of the funds cannot be restricted in any fashion. One of the businesses I once owned we sold gift certs and then eventually gift cards, I learned we could not put an expiration date on them. I at least looked into what our liability was before putting the program in place. I just did not want a customer to feel unhappy because they forgot about a credit or certificate. Today, rebate cards might, and I mean a very qualified "might", be different though I don't see how they would be any different from a gift card as defined in California's or the Fed's laws in this area.

Still I am curious to read what info is out there in that regard because, hell, anymore it's just not possible to keep up with how the AmeriCorps of GlobalCorps are trying to screw the consumer and have the consumer learn to like it never questioning any aspect of the service or product agreements, just because the language is in an agreement does in no way mean it is legal or even enforceable...then again maybe as I get closer to 50 every second, these things become more obvious and problematic that once upon a time...hehehehe....

I imagine in this case the folks who could answer the matter would be VISA or whoever's name is on the front of the card. Heck, the longer a person does not use the funds the more these companies earn with that unused money...