Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
For the folks commonly known as "I read the manual and I am still confused", like me,
how do you set up the K7 that way?

If not you, maybe someone else could answer that or should I go to the Beginner's Sub-forum?
Notice my judicious use of "selective quoting"?

On the K-7, Exposure Bracketing is set in the drive mode. Just press the "Drive Mode" button on the back of the camera (the button marked with a timer icon), select "Exposure Bracketing" near the right end of the options (looks like a +/- button), and set your options with the two command dials. One command dial switches between 3-5 exposures, and the other one moves the EV pointers from +/- 1/3 to +/- 2. Once you have it set the way you want, those settings stay saved, so you can quickly set this with just a couple of button presses in the future.

As for in-camera HDR, you'll find that in the Shooting menu. I think it's on the second page or something. You can choose between "Normal" and "Strong", that's about it.

01-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #32
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Notice my judicious use of "selective quoting"?

On the K-7, Exposure Bracketing is set in the drive mode. Just press the "Drive Mode" button on the back of the camera (the button marked with a timer icon), select "Exposure Bracketing" near the right end of the options (looks like a +/- button), and set your options with the two command dials. One command dial switches between 3-5 exposures, and the other one moves the EV pointers from +/- 1/3 to +/- 2. Once you have it set the way you want, those settings stay saved, so you can quickly set this with just a couple of button presses in the future.

As for in-camera HDR, you'll find that in the Shooting menu. I think it's on the second page or something. You can choose between "Normal" and "Strong", that's about it.
Thank you, Goreman.
I found that from the info menu, going to the drive mode(s), as yu explained.
I also saw in "Memory", fourth page in the "shooting" menu, that there is "HDR Capture", is this what you meant?
Because, HDR, from the Info screen, is greyed out when in RAW. This, in Memory, would allow to do this "HDR Capture" even in RAW mode?

Cheers.

JP
01-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #33
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thank you, Goreman.
I found that from the info menu, going to the drive mode(s), as yu explained.
I also saw in "Memory", fourth page in the "shooting" menu, that there is "HDR Capture", is this what you meant?
Because, HDR, from the Info screen, is greyed out when in RAW. This, in Memory, would allow to do this "HDR Capture" even in RAW mode?
in-camera HDR is letting the camera do the HDR for you. It takes the shots, combines them, and gives you a final result that is a single picture. That's why it has to be done in JPG, it can't process RAW files like that. I'd call it a "poor man's HDR". It's definitely on the second page of the shooting menu, and is only available when your camera is set to JPG (not RAW). The "Memory" thing has nothing to do with this, that's just what modes the camera remembers when you turn it on/off.

If you're setting the drive mode to Exposure Bracketing, you end up with a bunch of pictures (either 3 or 5) that are each more exposed than the last one. It's up to you to use some HDR software to combine those shots into an HDR composite. The pictures can be in RAW because the camera's not doing any processing to them. You'll need to process the RAW files yourself before you can do an HDR composite.
01-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
in-camera HDR is letting the camera do the HDR for you. It takes the shots, combines them, and gives you a final result that is a single picture. That's why it has to be done in JPG, it can't process RAW files like that. I'd call it a "poor man's HDR". It's definitely on the second page of the shooting menu, and is only available when your camera is set to JPG (not RAW). The "Memory" thing has nothing to do with this, that's just what modes the camera remembers when you turn it on/off.

If you're setting the drive mode to Exposure Bracketing, you end up with a bunch of pictures (either 3 or 5) that are each more exposed than the last one. It's up to you to use some HDR software to combine those shots into an HDR composite. The pictures can be in RAW because the camera's not doing any processing to them. You'll need to process the RAW files yourself before you can do an HDR composite.
Thanks again Goreman.

So, no use for me to even test this in-camera HDR because I shoot strictly in RAW.

I like this feature in "burst" mode/exposure bracketing. Ending up with a bunch of photos of the same image with different exposures would be just what I want, especially taken within a very short time.

This is not available on the K20D ... too bad because I use it quite a bit also.

Any idea how fast the K7 can take 5 shots using the method you described? (I.e.: drive mode + exposure bracketing).

Cheers.

JP

01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #35
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, no use for me to even test this in-camera HDR because I shoot strictly in RAW.
It's a neat thing to try, and it could become useful in the future. My gripe with it is that I have to switch the camera to JPG, and then I forget to switch it back to RAW+JPG afterwards and the rest of my shooting session ends up being in JPG only. That's my own forgetfulness though, not the camera's fault.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I like this feature in "burst" mode/exposure bracketing. Ending up with a bunch of photos of the same image with different exposures would be just what I want, especially taken within a very short time.
I find it useful when you only have one chance to get a shot, and you're not sure what exposure you'll need. For those occasions, I set it at 5 frames that are only 1/3 EV apart. That way I'm almost guaranteed to have at least one good exposure in the bunch.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is not available on the K20D ... too bad because I use it quite a bit also.
I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't know where/how because I don't have a K20D. It's just done differently.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Any idea how fast the K7 can take 5 shots using the method you described? (I.e.: drive mode + exposure bracketing).
As fast as you can blink, depending on the shutter speed you pick. It's the same thing as high speed continuous shooting, except each successive picture has the shutter speed open for a different amount of time. So it really depends on your camera settings. In the custom menu, you can set whether the camera will take all of the shots right away, or if you need to press the shutter button for each shot. I have mine set to do all shots with a single press of the shutter button. You can also set which order the shots will be taken in (lowest EV to highest EV, or some other combinations).

I think at this point we've exceeded the scope of this thread (and this forum section).
01-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #36
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
It's a neat thing to try, and it could become useful in the future. My gripe with it is that I have to switch the camera to JPG, and then I forget to switch it back to RAW+JPG afterwards and the rest of my shooting session ends up being in JPG only. That's my own forgetfulness though, not the camera's fault.



I find it useful when you only have one chance to get a shot, and you're not sure what exposure you'll need. For those occasions, I set it at 5 frames that are only 1/3 EV apart. That way I'm almost guaranteed to have at least one good exposure in the bunch.



I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't know where/how because I don't have a K20D. It's just done differently.



As fast as you can blink, depending on the shutter speed you pick. It's the same thing as high speed continuous shooting, except each successive picture has the shutter speed open for a different amount of time. So it really depends on your camera settings. In the custom menu, you can set whether the camera will take all of the shots right away, or if you need to press the shutter button for each shot. I have mine set to do all shots with a single press of the shutter button. You can also set which order the shots will be taken in (lowest EV to highest EV, or some other combinations).

I think at this point we've exceeded the scope of this thread (and this forum section).
Ok ! Got pretty much everything I wanted to know and ... Thank you!
Better go back a re-read the manual too ! (for other things not relating to the very nature of this thread).
Cheers!

JP
01-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #37
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
I see every new feature as just another tool to try something different. How and of what use it is becomes the expression of the person using it. None of us will ever like everything, but its great that all this 'stuff' is available to enjoy. My K7 is still in the shop for warranty work and I bought a used K10D. Its a good thing I did, as the work is coming in and its making me money (that i can use to pursue my photo hobby). I am using 2-4 images to produce a greater dynamic range for interior real estate/architectural photos. The only other alternative would be a complete lighting system to achieve similar results. Such a system is cumbersome and time consuming and would reduce my hourly rate to about $5. So for me, better in camera hdr would be a very welcome feature. Bring it on Pentax!!!
01-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #38
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Isn't it weird how quick we are to agree with an opinion just becomes someone yells it more loudly than others? After reading some of the negative remarks regarding HDR on this thread, I was quick to dismiss it as a silly fad. Then I saw some of those HDR pics on Flickr, and I almost felt dirty and childish for liking them. But then I had the same realization; I can disregard my own silly preconceptions and just appreciate different styles.

So I started playing around with HDR. It's a whole world of fun with all kinds of awesome possibilities.

Here's a shot I took sans HDR:


And here's an HDR composite from a bracket exposure I took immediately afterwards, using a tripod:


I'm still learning, I haven't quite figured out how to get rid of the slight ghosting around the out-of-focus elements in the image yet. But this is really cool to play with. I think I'll be using exposure bracketing a lot more from now on.
Nice work on this... i like the detail you brought out on the cannon. As for the ghosting, I am wonering if you are aligning the images as a part of your process. Whenever you shoot multiple images, there is always a slight change in camera/lens position. when overlaying multiple images. be sure you do the alignment step and then start processing.


Last edited by ivoire; 01-26-2010 at 09:23 PM.
01-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #39
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
Here is a trial with two images only ... "Fusion" with Photomatix:
I wished this would show as good as with the original image.
Taken with K20D.

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 06:48 PM.
01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Here is a trial with two images only ... "Fusion" with Photomatix:
I wished this would show as good as with the original image.
Taken with K20D.
That looks pretty neat!

There's a fairly big learning curve involved. It's even worse when you have to do it all with typed commands on a terminal and can't see your results until you're done Consider yourself spoiled if you have Photomatix to play with.
01-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #41
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
And here's one with 3 images, HDR :
I goofed the focus on this one but it's only to show what I'd done:

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 06:48 PM.
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #42
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That looks pretty neat!

There's a fairly big learning curve involved. It's even worse when you have to do it all with typed commands on a terminal and can't see your results until you're done Consider yourself spoiled if you have Photomatix to play with.
Goreman,
Yes it is quite a learning experience.
I am actually having fun with this but it won't replace taking good pics from the start, rather it help enhance the overall effect wanted.
In this case, I do prefer the fusion thingy.
I admit that this P-Matix is useful, but I doubt very much if you will see such pics from me posted elsewhere.
You must be quite a guru if you need to type commands ... no way I'd be able to do it your way. This photo of yours with the cannon is absolutely stunning. Great work!

JP
01-27-2010, 01:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
erm... yes, it's hidden deep in the drive menu, which is all of one button press away.
No, that's not right.

On the K20 it is:
Bracket button - wheel - done.

On the K7 it is:
Drive button - click right - click right - click right - click right - click down - wheel - done.

And remember to put it back.
Nothing for easy switching back and forth.

The bracketing button was a great innovative idea. It is a pity that Pentax abandoned it.
01-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,251
In-camera HDR - it's early days, I think it'll see a lot of improvements over the next 2 years or so. It's already great for interiors and with a bit of work and some user options/control I think it'll become a great addition.
01-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #45
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
No, that's not right.

On the K20 it is:
Bracket button - wheel - done.

On the K7 it is:
Drive button - click right - click right - click right - click right - click down - wheel - done.

And remember to put it back.
Nothing for easy switching back and forth.

The bracketing button was a great innovative idea. It is a pity that Pentax abandoned it.
Save it with the USER function on the K7 if bracketing is used routinely. I would have preferred that the button remain on the K7. I guess Pentax saw it as redundant
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, bracket, camera, cameras, ev, exposure, hdr, k20, pentax news, pentax rumors, shots, step
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP II & Pentax ME bodies $25 (US) Wsurbier Sold Items 3 10-08-2010 08:02 AM
Pentax M42 Bodies Adam Pentax Film SLR Discussion 51 02-27-2010 10:11 AM
HDR Software - Dynamic-Photo HDR mithrandir Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 03-03-2009 08:46 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: 2 Digital bodies, 2 film bodies, 4 nice lenses, 1 p-ttl flash kafreddy Sold Items 11 03-28-2008 02:36 PM
Pentax bodies, through the years... -=JoN=- Photographic Technique 1 02-13-2007 07:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top