Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Any SDM lens is prone to a failure.
As any piece of equipment is. We just don't have the data to say authoritatively that SDM lenses are tainted goods. It may well be the case that there has been an assembly problem which has been addressed by now but we are still seeing a number of lenses from the bad run. It could well be the case that if you bought new now, that you'd be quite safe. I don't know, but certainly it doesn't seem warranted to claim that a general SDM problem has been found out.

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
Gregoire came back and edited his post with:
"EDIT: actually, if 4th digit = 0, chance of a good copy is 90%, if it is =1, chance is 100% (!), if it is =2, chance is 77%."
100% chance? That seems to speak volumes of the usefulness of these numbers.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
How often do you see a post about someones FA50 1.4 falling apart?
My FA-50 f/1.4 just fell apart in my hands.

So lets just say for arguements sake that the good lenses get reported 1/4 of the time.
For the sake of your argument? I don't think this number guessing makes any sense.

[sarcasm on]
The only reason you would switch from SDM to screw drive is due to SDM failure (we know this is not a problem), or screw drive is faster (no chance of that SDM is new how could it be slower?).
[/sarcasm off]
Other reasons could be that you want to use a screw drive teleconverter with your SDM lens or that you believe that the screw drive uses up less battery power. Pentax could use these reasons to justify adding the firmware option but I still don't see it happening. I rather fear we may go down the track of more SDM-only lenses. Not that I have written off SDM completely but no matter how reliable it is, it is one more thing that can break in a lens and I don't want to pay for an AF motor over and over again. If I did, I'd pay for image stabilisation over and over again.

01-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think that was the "one".
01-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup that is the one.

Damn near a crisis of bad FA 50's.
01-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of the 33 reviews on the 16-50 in this forum, 2 people have come back to report that their SDM has failed.

6%

Neat.

Of the 42 reviews of the 50-135, not one poster has returned to indicate their SDM failed.

There is one post that indicates their SDM has failed, but the post was not an edit to an initial review, it is just a post to indicate failure. So, it does not count.

The 16-45 has 33 reviews, and no one has returned to report a failure.

Last edited by KungPOW; 01-24-2010 at 01:40 AM.
01-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #50
Damn Brit

It may well be the case that there has been an assembly problem which has been addressed by now but we are still seeing a number of lenses from the bad run.
If that were the case, I can't think of a logical reason why Pentax wouldn't make a statement to that effect.
From reading these threads regarding SDM the only input I'm seeing is instances where a Rep has chosen to bad mouth forums. When you consider that these forums are comprised of Pentax customers, that speaks volumes about what Pentax thinks about their customers.
01-24-2010, 02:52 AM   #51
juu
Veteran Member

We just don't have the data to say authoritatively that SDM lenses are tainted goods.
Depends on how you define 'authoritatively'. We ain't gonna be able to tell it much more 'authoritatively' than now unless Pentax opens up its warranty and post-warranty repair data, and that ain't happening.

But it can be said as 'authoritatively' as possible with the information we do have now that the failure rate of SDM lenses is unacceptably high and higher than for screw-drive lenses.
01-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Aye, juu. Do we need a full Royal Commission to convince these people? The Hague?

At any rate, there's obviously a lot of discontent - rightfully or not, it doesn't matter - amongst Pentax users regarding SDM. Pentax should've addressed this; at the moment, the appear to have their hands over their ears.

Remember how fast we got a response to the rumour JVC had bought Pentax? Took less than a week.

And, yes, it's just as bad even if some of these people, like myself, don't own the lenses. There are a lot of people who are holding off from purchasing the 17-70 or 16-50 because they don't want to end up with a dud.

Of course, SDM's a lot more delicate than a few simple cogs in the non-SDM lenses. And it's new for Pentax. But, ultimately, there's a standard for lens reliability, and a lot of Pentax owners feel it's just not being met.

Anyone here of any problems with Tokina lenses on Canon/Nikon, especially the AT-X 165 PRO?

And, of course, I find it ironic that the links to dozens of threads, started by dozens of users, has less weight than one guy saying, "Mine's fine. Obviously, there's no problem."
01-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #53
Veteran Member

You have to be a first class nugget to deny the 16-50 is a problem lens with a high failure rate. Forget the real population universe, of users on the two main forums (here and dpr) the incidence of 16-50 users claiming SDM failure is disproportionatly high.

To deny it ..... i mean ... you've got to be lacking a few marbles.

Over Xmas i sawa 16-50 with 90 days warranty from a B+M store for $550 canadian .... and I passed on it for fear of it becoming a $550 paperweight.

01-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
*Not comparing the impact/seriousness of one issue versus another, but just the concept of corporate denial in the face of facts.*

Firestone/Ford denied there being a problem with SUV Rollovers and Toyota had been getting reports of issues with their accelerators for years. Yes, they denied the issue was there for quite a while, then finally hey had to face there was indeed a problem (and sadly dozens lost their lives or were badly injured).

Both companies involved recalled *millions* of vehicles only based on issues with a few hundred vehicles. Obviously the impetus here was the possibility of the rest of the vehicles also being affected, regardless of whether they were or not.

Again, although one cannot compare the gravity of the automotive industry recalls with this issue of SDM, the fact that Pentax is not addressing this issue directly (no official statement, no offer to extend warranty, just an email reply from a sales rep?) is very telling and not surprising at all.

For those of us who use our lenses for a living (part-time, full-time, serious artists, etc) a lens failure while in a gig could result in serious consequences. Sure, you can have backup lenses, you can have two cameras around your neck, a second shooter. Fact is though, you will not know when that lens will fail until the very moment it fails - and that could be the moment you miss the shot that could cost you, both in money and reputation.

"Yeah, the photographer missed the shot because his lens died." Translation - his equipment sucks, don't hire him. :ugh: