Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The Samsung NX mount is fully electronic, so it controls aperture electronically. It does not have a linkage to stop down the stop down lever of the lens. (K mount lenses has automatic diagraphm which means they stay wide opened and stops down to the selected aperture when the image is taken. On K-mount lenses there is a lever at the back and when you touch this lever you can see how the iris of the lens closes down.
Now, this lever is engaged by the camera. Yes even Pentax DSLR's engages this lever and yes even Pentax lenses without aperture rings has this lever.

The NX can't control this since it is a fully electric mount, so the adapter therefore needs a motor to stop down the lens, and this sounds highly unlikely to me.

The default position of the lens is at the widest aperture, yes when the lens is not connected to anything the lever means it sets the smallest aperture. When you touch this lever at the back of the lens, the iris opens up.

The adaptor could have a construction that fixes this lever at the widest aperture.
So manual focus only with widest aperture.

Doesn't sound so tempting to me...

01-21-2010, 06:16 AM   #17
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuszek Quote
Autofocus ? I think most of us would be really happy if the adapter would at least do auto aperture... (which is mechanical as well)
And personally i would setle for an adapter that do have a full manual aperture ring. Since if there is no auto aperture controll, and its no aperture ring on the adaptor then lenses with no aperture rings (eg : SA; FAJ; DA; DAL; newDFA lenses, and in particular DA Limiteds) will not work on the nx (anything but fully closed or fully open depending on the implementation)
Maybe. I've heard it could be real. Mechanical aperture ring.
01-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I keep hearing that Samsung is a lot larger than Sony; but Sony did much more, they even bought Konica-Minolta (the camera division).
Samsung just rebranded Pentax DSLRs and lenses (pretending it's their lenses doesn't count) and is struggling to put the NX on the market.
01-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe. I've heard it could be real. Mechanical aperture ring.
Indeed. It's beyond me why one would want automatic aperture coupling on a camera like the NX. One should always wish to have it on the working aperture 100% of the time. (K-7 users with M42 lenses in Live View know what I mean). There's NO need for the lens to behave exactly as on a DSLR.

01-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The Samsung NX mount is fully electronic, so it controls aperture electronically. It does not have a linkage to stop down the stop down lever of the lens. (K mount lenses has automatic diagraphm which means they stay wide opened and stops down to the selected aperture when the image is taken. On K-mount lenses there is a lever at the back and when you touch this lever you can see how the iris of the lens closes down.
Now, this lever is engaged by the camera. Yes even Pentax DSLR's engages this lever and yes even Pentax lenses without aperture rings has this lever.

The NX can't control this since it is a fully electric mount, so the adapter therefore needs a motor to stop down the lens, and this sounds highly unlikely to me.

The default position of the lens is at the widest aperture, yes when the lens is not connected to anything the lever means it sets the smallest aperture. When you touch this lever at the back of the lens, the iris opens up.

The adaptor could have a construction that fixes this lever at the widest aperture.
So manual focus only with widest aperture.

Doesn't sound so tempting to me...
I hear your words but see this picture.... I have a hard time reconciling the 2:
There is no point to this lever if it's just a dummy lever on the adapter.
01-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I keep hearing that Samsung is a lot larger than Sony; but Sony did much more, they even bought Konica-Minolta (the camera division).
Samsung just rebranded Pentax DSLRs and lenses (pretending it's their lenses doesn't count) and is struggling to put the NX on the market.
Samsung as a whole is larger than Sony as a whole. Also, I fail to see how Samsung is struggling with the NX.
01-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It took them a lot of time, and still, it's not yet on the market.
01-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Whether or not Samsung is larger as a company, they haven't been very succesful to this point in launching dSLRs or other digital cameras that people flock too. Their sensors have tended to be negatively viewed as well, as compared to Sony's sensors. Maybe all of that is about to change and they are ready to challenge Canon and Nikon's leadership in the camera world, but I doubt it. To this point, their plan has been haphazard and unfocused. I certainly can't see the NX as a launching point for anything bigger and better, just another tangent pathway leading no where.

01-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It took them a lot of time, and still, it's not yet on the market.
You can't develop a camera from scratch in a few months. And, it probably took Pentax alot of time to develop the K-7, they just never told us they were busy doing it, unlike Samsung.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Whether or not Samsung is larger as a company, they haven't been very succesful to this point in launching dSLRs or other digital cameras that people flock too. Their sensors have tended to be negatively viewed as well, as compared to Sony's sensors. Maybe all of that is about to change and they are ready to challenge Canon and Nikon's leadership in the camera world, but I doubt it. To this point, their plan has been haphazard and unfocused. I certainly can't see the NX as a launching point for anything bigger and better, just another tangent pathway leading no where.
Why wouldn't the NX10 be a launching point for their own standard? They tried rebranding pentax cameras but that didn't work, and now they're going their own way. Also, they're doing quite nicely in the compact camera world, last I heard their dual-screen cameras are selling like hot cakes. Samsung is the biggest electronics producer in the world, don't underestimate them.
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Schneider is just a badge at this point that Samsung puts on their lens regardless of whether Pentax makes it or Cosina.

Samsung is actually more like what Sony was during its peak, than what even Sony currently is. Samsung has state of the art DRAM and LCD fabs. Sony sources these from Samsung, Sharp, etc. Samsung is completely vertically integrated (this philosophy is probably what caused the Pentax breakup) and they can squeeze out margins somewhere along the chain even in tough time.

Last edited by jhaji; 01-21-2010 at 11:04 AM.
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sounds like if Pentax were to build their own APS-C EVIL which is compatible with the lenses out there and at the same pricing point, Pentax would capture most of Samsung's market share in the segment.

Samsung would again have to go to the drawing board and rethink their strategy.

The question is how much of a market is there for such a camera? My gut feeling is considerable but it would certainly cannibalize the share of the DSLR market. Cede it to Samsung, or lay your own claim to the crossover folks? Time to act fast.
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #27
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
The question is how much of a market is there for such a camera? My gut feeling is considerable but it would certainly cannibalize the share of the DSLR market. Cede it to Samsung, or lay your own claim to the crossover folks? Time to act fast.
I think cannibalization is an overused marketing term. If you don't cannibalize your products yourself, the competitors will eat them instead.
01-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Sounds like if Pentax were to build their own APS-C EVIL which is compatible with the lenses out there and at the same pricing point, Pentax would capture most of Samsung's market share in the segment.

Samsung would again have to go to the drawing board and rethink their strategy.

The Samsung NX will capture as much a market as the Ricoh GXR thingabob, which is no market.

Without aperture control its useless for the PK lenses. People need to stop kidding themselves.

The size of Samsung is irrelevant. Want to see a fail Samsung venture? Take a look at their smartphones. They have been in the smartphone market since the PalmOS4 days, and they have made a model for every smartphone OS they can license, ever. And nobody knows Samsung makes smartphones to this day.
01-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
Forum Member

well nx still have alot of room for improvement
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM   #30

Without in-body IS/SR and with little/no lenses, the NX is doomed to failure. The Samsung APS-C sensor is good, but not the best, so unless they come up with some really strong selling points, I fail to see Samsung can make any headway in the DSLR market.