Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both Samsung nx and Pentax related

The Korea Herald : The Nation's No.1 English Newspaper
The mirrorless camera market is expected to grow from 1 million units in 2010 to 5 million units in 2012, Samsung said.
"We plan to concentrate our resources on mirrorless DSLR cameras for the time being," an Samsung executive said at a news conference.
He also downplayed speculation that the company may give up its DSLR business and sever ties with Pentax, which Samsung heavily relies on for its DSLR cameras.
"We have maintained close ties with Pentax, our strategic partner," the executive said.

Samsung Denies M&A Deal With Pentax
Samsung Digital Imaging (SDI), Samsung Electronics' affiliate, has denied the possibility of buying Japan's Pentax Corp.

Park Sang-jin, president and CEO of Samsung Digital Imaging, said the company will maintain its current links with its Japanese partner.

"The need for the acquisition of Pentax has been reduced as Samsung has already internalized key camera-related technologies such as image sensors," the CEO said during a meeting with reporters in Seoul, Tuesday.

"We reviewed the M&A scenario a few years ago as Samsung was having difficulties in securing related technologies," the top executive said.

Upcoming hybrid digital cameras, possibly in the second half of this year, will be equipped with SDI's own lens and image sensors, he said.

"Another key point is that we will find new partners able to diversify possible channels for lenses."

Reading on it's funny to hear the "sabre ratteling. One question is which camera company suffered the 50 mil won loss? Nikon and Canon are said to have had a +20% net......
Love Samsungs propaganda machine.
One addition:
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?
Following the footsteps of Panasonic and Olympus, Korea’s Samsung Electronics unveiled its first hybrid camera, the NX10, at the International Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month. It plans to officially launch the product in Korea as early as today.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 01-19-2010 at 04:02 PM.
01-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

"Need for the acquisition of Pentax has been reduced..." = "We've got what want, suckers."

"We have maintained close ties with Pentax..." + "...we will find new partners...to diversify possible channels for lenses..." = "Oh, shit, we're not an optics company! Wait, what's Pentax been doing for the last seventy years?"
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Popular Photography reports that you can use Pentax/ Samsung K lenses on the NX with an adapter. The NX10 is supposed to list at $700 with a 18-55mm when it comes out in March.

Anybody aware of the degree of compatibility of Pentax lenses? They should consider throwing in the adapter to drive sales.
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Reading on it's funny to hear the "sabre ratteling. One question is which camera company suffered the 50 mil won loss? Nikon and Canon are said to have had a +20% net......
I assumed he was talking about Sony, which hasn't been doing as well as of late in the DSLR market and is more of a direct competitor for Samsung (thus the trash talking)

01-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Popular Photography reports that you can use Pentax/ Samsung K lenses on the NX with an adapter. The NX10 is supposed to list at $700 with a 18-55mm when it comes out in March.

Anybody aware of the degree of compatibility of Pentax lenses? They should consider throwing in the adapter to drive sales.
Now I'm interested. I had been looking a m4/3rds for the same reason.
01-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-mount adaptor for the Samsung NX system is manual focus only, so no support for autofocus.
01-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The K-mount adaptor for the Samsung NX system is manual focus only, so no support for autofocus.
You say this based on a preliminary picture which did show a hole for the screwdrive autofocus. In other words, you can't know this for sure.

01-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
You say this based on a preliminary picture which did show a hole for the screwdrive autofocus. In other words, you can't know this for sure.
But there is no shaft coming out of the camera, so that, instead of a simple tube, the adapter should contain a motor able to convert electronical imput from the camera contacts into a mechanical drive...

... it seems little credible... even if not impossible...
01-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
juu
Veteran Member

Yes, I suspect Samsung will give up on their DSLRs completely and on their ties with Pentax with that, unless Pentax wants to join the NX system, something that Samsung may not realize how much it needs.
01-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #10

Not sure if Samsung really needs Pentax for optics anymore. Schneider has been providing Samsung with optics for their digital cameras.
01-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woefulwabbit Quote
Not sure if Samsung really needs Pentax for optics anymore. Schneider has been providing Samsung with optics for their digital cameras.
Heh. No, I really don't think they have been doing that.
01-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Heh. No, I really don't think they have been doing that.
I second that. Schneider provided just a name...
01-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Autofocus ? I think most of us would be really happy if the adapter would at least do auto aperture... (which is mechanical as well)
And personally i would setle for an adapter that do have a full manual aperture ring. Since if there is no auto aperture controll, and its no aperture ring on the adaptor then lenses with no aperture rings (eg : SA; FAJ; DA; DAL; newDFA lenses, and in particular DA Limiteds) will not work on the nx (anything but fully closed or fully open depending on the implementation)
01-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Samsung desperately wants to be Sony, a mega company doing everything electronic. The problem is that it is hard to be a player late to the game in something like dSLRs. You tend to release a lot of me-to products that have to be priced lower than your competitors products in order to sell.

At the same time, unlike Sony, Samsung's sensor division hasn't been able to sell sensors to anyone else, except Pentax. I'd expect the relationship to continue as long as Pentax wants it to.
01-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Samsung desperately wants to be Sony
You make it sound like they're playground kids who want to be the power rangers (or whatever's in swing these days). Samsung is alot larger than Sony, and I'm guessing they just see cameras as another way of making money.