Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'll never buy a camera without a viewfinder of some type.
Well, the viewfinder on the Auto 110 just barely made the cut ;~)

01-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Damn Brit

What the naysayers appear to be ignoring is the fact that these cameras aren't aimed at us. One would assume that they have done some market research and are confident of getting sales.
01-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
What the naysayers appear to be ignoring is the fact that these cameras aren't aimed at us. One would assume that they have done some market research and are confident of getting sales.
I think so too.
There's obviously a market for this camera and we shouldn't all be damning it straight away.
There are people that are content with good pics without worrying about specs too much.
The style alone is a headturner that should get people interested.

I think it's a great looking piece of kit and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
01-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well, the viewfinder on the Auto 110 just barely made the cut ;~)
The Auto 110 was pretty darn small though which is why.

01-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
Forum Member

if pentax can market themself as a style they might be able to get more market share from the consumer segment... Apple iphone is becoming a style... And they did well with their iphone.
01-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
Apple iphone is becoming a style... And they did well with their iphone.
But the iPhone had/has plenty of substance to it also. It was the first smart phone people actually enjoyed using. It showed everyone else how to design a mobile OS, it just didn't re-badge the same old same old into a new shape. I hope this little camera does well for Pentax, I really do, but sheesh, they shouldn't have called it the i-10. People that actually know and care what the Auto 110 is aren't going to buy a camera with a freaking face detection button on the back. Not only that, the hump on top is just there for a built in flash and speaker. I remember people giving Panasonic crap for putting an EVF in a faux SLR hump, but at least it did contain a view finder.

Oh well, maybe style conscious teens will buy this thing not understanding that the image sensor is so small they'd have to get out a microscope just to see it, but I wish they'd have left the 110 heritage in tact for a real camera one day with a sensor a bit larger than a grain of sand.

That said, I do think it's a good thing that Pentax is stepping up their designs. It really does help them stand out. Most of the cameras coming out these days all look like clones of each other until you see the logo. I just hope they carry this style over into a serious camera like Olympus is doing with their PEN.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 01-25-2010 at 09:52 PM.
01-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #22
ogl
Banned

Nothing interesting. Rather dull P&S and good retro style.

01-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
Forum Member

Well at least there is one good improvement we can see from the design style. as least it got me started to feel like buying one just cuz it looks good. Putting it side by side with the rest of the pns it would stand out pretty well... On the 1st look that is

Until we see some reviews on it
01-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I find it most remarkable that the old Pentax logo is back on the I-10.

The last logo, as used on the K-7 and K-x:

The old logo, as on the Auto 110 and many more of the older SLR's:

The old logo, back on the I-10:

Is this a sign of the future models? I can easily see an EVIL camera with approximately the same looks as the I-10. If it follows the same outline then I'm sure they will sell shitloads of them.
01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It can recognize the faces of cats and dogs

Also, it's three hundred dollars on Amazon. Hmm. At least they haven't adopted the 14 mp 1/2.3" sensor yet...
01-26-2010, 12:59 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
It can recognize the faces of cats and dogs

Also, it's three hundred dollars on Amazon. Hmm. At least they haven't adopted the 14 mp 1/2.3" sensor yet...
let's have a look at the iq before we complain too much about the small sensor. The panasonic tz- and fx-series use the same small sensor size, and have quite good iq. Speaking of those... new models are out, and they have 25 mm eq. at the wide end. The tz10 also has built-in gps. But the design is similar to the last 3-4 years of predecessors.
01-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

$300? That'll go down really fast. The new logo was created because of the Hoya partnership. I wonder why it's not on this though?
01-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
let's have a look at the iq before we complain too much about the small sensor. The panasonic tz- and fx-series use the same small sensor size, and have quite good iq. Speaking of those... new models are out, and they have 25 mm eq. at the wide end. The tz10 also has built-in gps. But the design is similar to the last 3-4 years of predecessors.
I'm not complaining as such, I actually said I was happy at least it's not 14 MP, but there's no chance any 12 MP compact camera will have "good" image quality. It can not happen. The only options are only garbage, and slightly less smelly garbage. Shoot it downsampled to 3 MP and chances are it will be acceptable, but 12 MP is a bad marketing joke and nothing else.

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The new logo was created because of the Hoya partnership. I wonder why it's not on this though?
The "new" logo has been in use since 1991... It's not on this new one to really hammer the "THIS IS A RETRO LOOKIN' CAMERA" point home.
01-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Pentax I-110 / H90 on Pentax newsletter

I received this morning the french Pentax newsletter mentioning those 2 new compact cameras.

Spec wise they are quite low end, with the same sensor and spec that most cameras.

Link for Pentax Optio I10

Link for Pentax Optio H90

(in French)

They have in particular the same 12Mpx sensor that you find in most compact cameras, with crappy image quality. Don't wait too much for them, nice little retro design however for the I-10.

Regards,
Guillaume
01-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #30
ogl
Banned

No top-compact camera in Pentax system.