Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Grand Junction Colorado
Posts: 212
Finally, a digital 110

Pentax has hit the mark with us old farts bringing out a camera that looks like the fabled Auto-110 (Optio I-10). They already have one buyer - ME.

01-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 110
small sensor = lame

no other comment. would have been a nice body though.
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
This raises the old question. Will the next one be the requested Digital LX with plenty of megapixel?

Rui

Last edited by RuiC; 01-25-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: plenty of
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,950
Which camera exactly is this? Do you have a photo and/or info page?


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 88
Im thinking of getting the white one.. Looks so damn kewl..
01-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member
indytax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Which camera exactly is this? Do you have a photo and/or info page?
The I-10. If you haven't found this already, here's some details:
Pentax drops its new point-and-shoots
01-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: madison
Posts: 239
It's just a P&S with Auto 110 styling, fixed lens, tiny sensor.
01-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,438
QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
Pentax has hit the mark with us old farts bringing out a camera that looks like the fabled Auto-110 (Optio I-10). They already have one buyer - ME.
QuoteOriginally posted by QuixoticTonic Quote
small sensor = lame

no other comment. would have been a nice body though.
QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
It's just a P&S with Auto 110 styling, fixed lens, tiny sensor.
And this is bad for Pentax . . . . Why?

We want them to be profitable, serve markets that will buy the products and generate LOTS of cash flow that Hoya can use to develop edgy DSLR's.

These comments land at the top of Google searches for the product due to PF's huge hit rate. Thoughtless, sarcastic, negative comments help nothing.

01-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Buffalo/Rochester, NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,133
OK - explain to me the "small sensor = lame" part.

First of all, the camera in question has a 12.1 MP sensor. Only when used in 6400 ISO mode does the effective MP drop to 5 MP. I guess they figured that teaming up pixels to raise ISOs in a small camera with a fixed lens was a viable solution.

Second of all, going by that small sensor = lame assumption, all Pentax DSLR cameras suck when compared to any other maker's full frame sensors.
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These comments land at the top of Google searches for the product due to PF's huge hit rate. Thoughtless, sarcastic, negative comments help nothing.
I'm not sure it's our job to be providing free marketing!

I sure do like my Pentax dSLRs, and I like my little Auto 110 (although it needs its sticky shutter repaired). Annnnd, it's cool that Pentax is trying to stand out with interesting styling, but it's completely legitimate to point out that the insides seem like nothing special.

Pentax has had a long line of mediocre point & shoot cameras, and while I'll reserve judgment until I see the reviews and get to actually play with one, I don't have my expectations set too high. Since many of us have been hoping for a real digital 110, this is disappointing. I saw the headline and hoped that they'd been working with Samsung after all (or, probably better in the real world) had joined 4/3rds.
01-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Since many of us have been hoping for a real digital 110, this is disappointing. I saw the headline and hoped that they'd been working with Samsung after all (or, probably better in the real world) had joined 4/3rds.

Like you, I'm one of the hopers.
At least they have the body shape, maybe they'll adapt it. Not holding my breath though, I understand quite a few people are investing in adapters so they can use their 110 lenses on micro 4/3 cameras. Coming out with a digital 110 might be a case of closing the stable door...
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,438
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm not sure it's our job to be providing free marketing!

I sure do like my Pentax dSLRs, and I like my little Auto 110 (although it needs its sticky shutter repaired). Annnnd, it's cool that Pentax is trying to stand out with interesting styling, but it's completely legitimate to point out that the insides seem like nothing special.

Pentax has had a long line of mediocre point & shoot cameras, and while I'll reserve judgment until I see the reviews and get to actually play with one, I don't have my expectations set too high. Since many of us have been hoping for a real digital 110, this is disappointing. I saw the headline and hoped that they'd been working with Samsung after all (or, probably better in the real world) had joined 4/3rds.
Now this comment I can agree with - expectations unmet, so skeptical, but judgment reserved until hands get on it.

Words such as lame offer nothing valuable to the discourse.
01-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member
PrimeObjectif's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 600
How many of us thought the K-x was going to be such a beast when it was first announced? Hopefully one of these new cameras packs a surprise punch, too.
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member
VaughnA's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,363
I'll never buy a camera without a viewfinder of some type. I'd love to see an interchangeable lens camera modelled after the 110 with an SLR, EVIL or even rangefinder format.
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
This raises the old question. Will the next one be the requested Digital LX with plenty of megapixel?
As one of those people that have begged for a Digital LX, if this is a their interpretation of a digital Auto 110 then I'll just stick with my film LX for now. The I-10 may look cool, so I guess it would make a nice piece of geek jewelery, but I have no desire to actually take photos with it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something nice for our Pentax Auto 110 users: Auto 110 lens database Adam Pentax Film SLR Discussion 3 09-24-2010 06:42 AM
I've finally made it to the digital world! Spotmatic Lover Welcomes and Introductions 5 08-13-2010 10:01 AM
Finally digital! with a Pentax K7 Abo LXK7 Welcomes and Introductions 3 05-19-2010 08:43 PM
Finally taken the Digital SLR plunge... Mrelia Welcomes and Introductions 2 03-02-2010 09:06 AM
finally gone digital with a k10D phooka Welcomes and Introductions 3 05-07-2009 10:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top