Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #1

Finally, a digital 110

Pentax has hit the mark with us old farts bringing out a camera that looks like the fabled Auto-110 (Optio I-10). They already have one buyer - ME.

01-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #2

small sensor = lame

no other comment. would have been a nice body though.
01-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This raises the old question. Will the next one be the requested Digital LX with plenty of megapixel?

Rui

Last edited by RuiC; 01-25-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: plenty of
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera exactly is this? Do you have a photo and/or info page?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Forum Member

Im thinking of getting the white one.. Looks so damn kewl..
01-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Which camera exactly is this? Do you have a photo and/or info page?
The I-10. If you haven't found this already, here's some details:
Pentax drops its new point-and-shoots
01-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

It's just a P&S with Auto 110 styling, fixed lens, tiny sensor.

01-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
Pentax has hit the mark with us old farts bringing out a camera that looks like the fabled Auto-110 (Optio I-10). They already have one buyer - ME.
QuoteOriginally posted by QuixoticTonic Quote
small sensor = lame

no other comment. would have been a nice body though.
QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
It's just a P&S with Auto 110 styling, fixed lens, tiny sensor.
And this is bad for Pentax . . . . Why?

We want them to be profitable, serve markets that will buy the products and generate LOTS of cash flow that Hoya can use to develop edgy DSLR's.

These comments land at the top of Google searches for the product due to PF's huge hit rate. Thoughtless, sarcastic, negative comments help nothing.
01-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OK - explain to me the "small sensor = lame" part.

First of all, the camera in question has a 12.1 MP sensor. Only when used in 6400 ISO mode does the effective MP drop to 5 MP. I guess they figured that teaming up pixels to raise ISOs in a small camera with a fixed lens was a viable solution.

Second of all, going by that small sensor = lame assumption, all Pentax DSLR cameras suck when compared to any other maker's full frame sensors.
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These comments land at the top of Google searches for the product due to PF's huge hit rate. Thoughtless, sarcastic, negative comments help nothing.
I'm not sure it's our job to be providing free marketing!

I sure do like my Pentax dSLRs, and I like my little Auto 110 (although it needs its sticky shutter repaired). Annnnd, it's cool that Pentax is trying to stand out with interesting styling, but it's completely legitimate to point out that the insides seem like nothing special.

Pentax has had a long line of mediocre point & shoot cameras, and while I'll reserve judgment until I see the reviews and get to actually play with one, I don't have my expectations set too high. Since many of us have been hoping for a real digital 110, this is disappointing. I saw the headline and hoped that they'd been working with Samsung after all (or, probably better in the real world) had joined µ4/3rds.
01-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Since many of us have been hoping for a real digital 110, this is disappointing. I saw the headline and hoped that they'd been working with Samsung after all (or, probably better in the real world) had joined µ4/3rds.

Like you, I'm one of the hopers.
At least they have the body shape, maybe they'll adapt it. Not holding my breath though, I understand quite a few people are investing in adapters so they can use their 110 lenses on micro 4/3 cameras. Coming out with a digital 110 might be a case of closing the stable door...
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm not sure it's our job to be providing free marketing!

I sure do like my Pentax dSLRs, and I like my little Auto 110 (although it needs its sticky shutter repaired). Annnnd, it's cool that Pentax is trying to stand out with interesting styling, but it's completely legitimate to point out that the insides seem like nothing special.

Pentax has had a long line of mediocre point & shoot cameras, and while I'll reserve judgment until I see the reviews and get to actually play with one, I don't have my expectations set too high. Since many of us have been hoping for a real digital 110, this is disappointing. I saw the headline and hoped that they'd been working with Samsung after all (or, probably better in the real world) had joined µ4/3rds.
Now this comment I can agree with - expectations unmet, so skeptical, but judgment reserved until hands get on it.

Words such as lame offer nothing valuable to the discourse.
01-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How many of us thought the K-x was going to be such a beast when it was first announced? Hopefully one of these new cameras packs a surprise punch, too.
01-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Banned

I'll never buy a camera without a viewfinder of some type. I'd love to see an interchangeable lens camera modelled after the 110 with an SLR, EVIL or even rangefinder format.
01-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
This raises the old question. Will the next one be the requested Digital LX with plenty of megapixel?
As one of those people that have begged for a Digital LX, if this is a their interpretation of a digital Auto 110 then I'll just stick with my film LX for now. The I-10 may look cool, so I guess it would make a nice piece of geek jewelery, but I have no desire to actually take photos with it.