No. I'd prefer another style body. 1514.56%
I don't care. I prefer DSLR. 6159.22%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #31
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I thought the Leica M9 is exactly that, a mirrorless FF camera? However, it's not an EVIL camera because it does not have Live View on the 2,5" screen.
Yes, you are right. I didn't say EVIL as EP-1 has no EVF. A more precise term would have been "mirrorless camera with autofocus capability" but that seemed a bit long .

02-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote

It seems kind of logical that if the lens is closer to the sensor you at least have the option to make the lens smaller - at least for wide angle lenses. But I'm no expert on optics so I cannot state it with authority.
The problem with putting a lens close to a large sensor is that the angle of light coming off the back of the lens has to be very acute to make it to the edges.
This can actually make lenses larger, or else severely compromise lens speed.
It can also make for vignetting problems and microlens cut off problems, not to mention just plane making it more difficult to deal with things like CA.

As an example, the Hasselblad X-Pan lenses are generally used with mondo$$ circular graduated filters that are darker in the center and gradually fade to clear at the edges.
02-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #33
juu
Veteran Member

Yes, you are right.

I seem to recall the Leica M9 sensor had to be developed to have offset microlenses or shallow buckets or something. Which made it so expensive.

Also the shorter of the legacy rangefinder lenses are soft in corners when adapted on the m43 - all because the light falls at a bad angle for the digital sensor - despite the (lol) crop factor.
02-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #34
Banned

I had the LX with motor drive and I am sure most people here don't have a clue what it looks like. I want a FF K-7 with Epson 1.44mb EVF and not a something that looks like a LX with motor drive.

02-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I had the LX with motor drive and I am sure most people here don't have a clue what it looks like. I want a FF K-7 with Epson 1.44mb EVF and not a something that looks like a LX with motor drive.
They sure are a whole lot prettier and smaller without the motor drive. I'm still not sure that I want an EVF version since the OVF is so beautiful in that camera (puts every single DSLR on the market to shame), but so long as Pentax makes it interchangeable like the original LX so you could upgrade the EVF as technology improves then I'll be open to it. I do want a matching set after all
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G10  Photo 
02-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
I don't care. I prefer DSLR.
02-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #37
K7shooter

The only thing Pentax less likely to release than an LX inspired body is a FF body.

Take a look at the current lens lineup. Majority of the lenses are designed/optimized for APS-C. Some of them won't even work with FF as the imaging circle is too small.

Unless Pentax has been hacking away in an underground missile silo hidden deep in the Rockies building an entire new lens lineup AND a FF body, I don't see this happening.

Sidenote: I don't understand the continued hype around FF. I've used APS-C, APS-H, and FF bodies from other manufacturers for years, and find the K-7 with it's APS-C blows the doors off a Canon 5D, and edges still a D700. What Pentax has been doing for some time now (and Canon and Nikon are just starting to do) is design lenses around a camera, rather than the other way around.

02-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #38
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not bad IMO
Attached Images

02-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K7shooter Quote
Sidenote: I don't understand the continued hype around FF. I've used APS-C, APS-H, and FF bodies from other manufacturers for years, and find the K-7 with it's APS-C blows the doors off a Canon 5D, and edges still a D700.
My direct comparisons don't back your findings, unfortunately.
The D700 has far less noise than the K7 as the ISO goes up. The D700 at 3200 is about the same as the K7 at ISO640 in my experience.
02-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #40
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The D700 has far less noise than the K7 as the ISO goes up. The D700 at 3200 is about the same as the K7 at ISO640 in my experience.
But K-x is not worse.
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FF DSLR camera squeezed into LX body.

I`m in for that anyday
02-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote

I`m in for that anyday
+1

That would be a big seller!
02-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote

I`m in for that anyday
This must be possible because look at what they managed to squeeze into the leica m9. Yes the leicia is mirror less but the LX had a mirror so it should be possible. They'd just have to work on squeezing in a small autofocus motor unless they released some sdm limited lenses
02-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #44
K7shooter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My direct comparisons don't back your findings, unfortunately.
Interesting. The 8x10 prints I made on Hahnemuehle Fine Art Pearl using an Epson 7800 at reasonable ISOs (100, 200, 400) showed the Pentax not only ahead of the pack in terms of IQ, but the noise most closely resembled the grain in reference prints shot on Portra NC (160 and 400) and output on a Chromira.

Could care less about ISO 3200, or pixel-peeping at 1600% onscreen.

Of course, if you'd rather spend your time shooting black cats in coal bins under a starless sky, by all means...
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K7shooter Quote
Interesting. The 8x10 prints I made on Hahnemuehle Fine Art Pearl using an Epson 7800 at reasonable ISOs (100, 200, 400) showed the Pentax not only ahead of the pack in terms of IQ, but the noise most closely resembled the grain in reference prints shot on Portra NC (160 and 400) and output on a Chromira.

Could care less about ISO 3200, or pixel-peeping at 1600% onscreen.

Of course, if you'd rather spend your time shooting black cats in coal bins under a starless sky, by all means...
The new Sony sensors have a different A/D converter that somehow does not produce (read) pattern noise. I see that as a big bonus, if the scene has dark areas...not necessarily coal bins. Although, even a starry sky would benefit from the lack of (read) pattern noise.

Last edited by asdf; 02-01-2010 at 07:23 PM.