Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
why bother to use such a luxury lens on a cheap body btw?
Backup body, low light body, smaller/lighter body, etc...

06-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #47
Ed in GA

So, why there are so many people talk about that the K10D's DR function is useless? Even along this thread??

How/Why does it affect you anyway. Didn't you just buy a Canon 5D with which to do your photography?
06-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #48
Ed in GA

The added DR function should be implemented as a firmware update to the K100D and it's easy and simple. But anyway it is a don't care case for me as it (the DR) is well known to be useless, as proven in the K10D already.

As for the SDM support, it just is something again "ought to be". Do remember there is still no SDM lens can be found at the streets yet. The coming ones are the Star zooms which are very expensive and twice the price of a K100D Super, why bother to use such a luxury lens on a cheap body btw?
How/Why does it affect you anyway. Didn't you just buy a Canon 5D with which to do your photography?
06-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #49

So, why there are so many people talk about that the K10D's DR function is useless? Even along this thread??

So why are you here since you hate Pentax so much you complain in the DPR Canon forum so much about Pentax being bad. Your blog, which I did look at and has a few good points; but is flawed due to your personal Hatred of anything Pentax and testing techniques. It is a bad photographer that complains about his tools when the operator is 99% of the problem.

I also admired the photo on DPR you took on the beach with your 5d except it was crooked, very soft and had a haze look that looked like you took it in smog. If that is the best the 5D can do for you than you wasted your money again. You do realize that a 5D requires good glass before you spent your money?

I am helping a friend with his 5D as he is a total newbe and his photos look fabulous so far.

Outside of the new K100D Super camera still hampered with AA batteries, I believe it is an upgrade for many point and shoot people. And it should not be confused with being a professional camera.

06-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #50
TDN
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
I dont want a bigger camera, I dont want proprietary batteries, I wont pay for a deeper buffer, although it would be nice. But I was beginning to lament the lack ofuse of the new lenses on my camera.
I think this is the reason why Pentax did this.

The camera is not meant as an "upgrade" for existing K100D users. (like the D40x wasnt meant for users of the D40)
It's meant as a new version of the K100D for new customers.

It's meant to convice the people doubting about buying the K100D.

I think a lot of people doing research for a new camera stumbled upon the K100D, and the new DA* lenses, and thought: "hmm, whats the point of buying this camera, if I can't fully use those shiny new lenses on it?"

This problem has now been solved...
06-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #51

Yes, this utterly dumbfounds me!

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
So why are you here since you hate Pentax so much you complain in the DPR Canon forum so much about Pentax being bad .... You do realize that a 5D requires good glass before you spent your money?
This is what utterly dumbfounds me!

People are talking about the Pentax K100D coming from a Canon 5D? WTF?!
Totally different market and focus, especially at the lens-for-quality price points -- let alone "base, total system cost."

Equinox, I think you hit the nail on the head with, you do realize that a 5D requires good glass before you spent your money?
Sounds like he didn't know which way to go, and spent a lot while getting only a fraction of its potential.
06-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #52

Photos: Gallery
I'm sold. I was going to order the K10D and then save up again till I had enough for a DA* lens, but this looks great for a first DSLR.

I would have bought one later on anyway for low light photography and as a backup body.
06-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I'm sold. I was going to order the K10D and then save up again till I had enough for a DA* lens, but this looks great for a first DSLR. I would have bought one later on anyway for low light photography and as a backup body.
What finally did it for me with the K100D was the $400 price tag. It was something I could always recycle to my wife if I upgraded later. Especially since I see myself buying the DA 17-70 and DA 55-300 lenses coming out, maybe even the DA*60-250 if the DA 55-300 turns out to be a poor performer.

With the added features and the (likely) sub-$500 price tag on the K100D Super body only, it's still the same sell. Although if you're an expert, the controls on the K10D will be far less limiting, and are golden for quick changes. I never use the scenery modes on my K100D (and I'm a total noob), so that argument for the K100D over the K10D is not valid IMHO.

06-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #54

The price of the body alone is $512.00
06-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #55

Current K100D is $599 and $699 list ...

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
The price of the body alone is $512.00
Actually, $519 list, $599 list for the K100D Super without and with the lens, respectively. But it was $599 list and $699 list, respectively, for the prior K100D. So don't be surprised when the K100D Super body-only debuts under $500. In fact, if you wait a couple of months longer than that -- say Christmas? -- it might be under $500 with the lens.

Hell, I just checked Pentax's site! It confirms what I just said!
Existing K100D w/lens, under $700 (under $650 without lens -- $649 from their site): Pentax Imaging: K100D - Digital SLR - Digital - Cameras by Pentax
New K100D Super w/lense, under $600 (under $550 without lens): Pentax Imaging: K100D Super - Digital SLR - Digital - Cameras by Pentax

In any case, with the current rebates ending July 31st, I still probably made the right move in buying the K100D with the DA 50-200mm f/4.0-5.6 with the $150 rebate for the combo in April. Who knows what rebates they will be offering in August when the device is "new again."

Last edited by bjsmith; 06-28-2007 at 12:56 PM.
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #56

Living in Barbados makes it sorta difficult to take advantage of rebates but those prices look great anyway.

Then I can get my DA* 16-50mm.

I am so excited!
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #57
Gus
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
It's a flop because of the perception. What is everyone outside of our happy Pentax bubble thinking? 'Same camera, new name. Big whoop.'

Pentax needs to learn to bundle more into their releases to make them seem better - even if they aren't, like the D40X.
I agree. The way I see it, this camera will only appeal to existing Pentaxians looking for a reasonably priced upgrade. People on the outside are going to think "Why did they bother".

Although it's really admirable that Pentax chose to go with 6MP, I really think it would have served it a great deal more had they played the Megapixel marketing race. Perhaps they didn't want to self compete and hurt the sales of the K10D?
06-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #58
Forum Member

I see it differently. I think Pentax wants to expand their users with more body options. Also any electronic product that is in the market for about a year is considered old and they want to keep the noise around their brand with this move.

As a K100D user this gives me hope that they will produce new accessories (like a battery grip) that "MIGHT" work or a new firmware that "MIGHT" be compatible with my model.
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

It seems like the really only 'big' update is the SDM...plus the return of the "Super" label.

Its kinda less of an upgrade (K100D to K100D Super) than the original (ME to ME SUper) was.

They could have got the extra mile and uncrippled the K-Mount so you have a KAF2 that has FULL compatibility with all Pentax Lenses (new SDM to old school K lenses). A pentaprism would have been a fitting upgrade as well I thought. I know the 6.1MP sensor is still great but it may make a tad more sense in a marketing perspective to adopt the current 10MP model. Its still a solid sensor with good IQ to noise ratio and the public won't see Pentax 'lagging' behind in the numbers.
06-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #60
Pentaxian

IMHO if Pentax really needs now quickly to come up with cheap DA 18-55 SDM and DA 50-200mm SDM.

The same optical design, just „skrewdriver“ AF removed and SDM added. Nikon and Canon with their cheap USM and AF-S lenses demonstarates that ultrasonic motors aren't really expensive.

I know, probably it's impossible and Pentax won't do that, however if they manage to do this... Well, then K100D Super would be selling like hot pancakes.