Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
IMHO if Pentax really needs now quickly to come up with cheap DA 18-55 SDM and DA 50-200mm SDM.

The same optical design, just „skrewdriver“ AF removed and SDM added. Nikon and Canon with their cheap USM and AF-S lenses demonstarates that ultrasonic motors aren't really expensive.

I know, probably it's impossible and Pentax won't do that, however if they manage to do this... Well, then K100D Super would be selling like hot pancakes.
I certainly hope that SDM techinology is not limited to DA* lenses. By having an entry level DSLR with SDM, I think it highly probable that most future Pentax lens will have SDM.

06-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #62

IMHO if Pentax really needs now quickly to come up with cheap DA 18-55 SDM and DA 50-200mm SDM. The same optical design, just „skrewdriver“ AF removed and SDM added. Nikon and Canon with their cheap USM and AF-S lenses demonstarates that ultrasonic motors aren't really expensive. I know, probably it's impossible and Pentax won't do that, however if they manage to do this... Well, then K100D Super would be selling like hot pancakes.
You mean like ... maybe ... the DA 17-70 and DA 55-300?
06-29-2007, 05:35 AM   #63
Gus
Forum Member

IMHO if Pentax really needs now quickly to come up with cheap DA 18-55 SDM and DA 50-200mm SDM.

The same optical design, just „skrewdriver“ AF removed and SDM added. Nikon and Canon with their cheap USM and AF-S lenses demonstarates that ultrasonic motors aren't really expensive.

I know, probably it's impossible and Pentax won't do that, however if they manage to do this... Well, then K100D Super would be selling like hot pancakes.
Yes, Pentax *should* come out with cheap SDM lenses very quickly. There are Nikkon SWM and Canon USM lenses that are very affordable (the Nikkor 18-135 for example), Pentax must develop something similarly competitive.

The release of an entry-level body with SDM support may just mean we are to expect affordable SDM lenses in the near future.
06-29-2007, 05:37 AM   #64
and
Veteran Member

Wasnt ther some rumor about the 18-50 being redesigned because it was not good eanough for sensors with more than 10 mpixels... if they do that then I guess its not impossible to get sdm in it.

06-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #65

What would also make them sell as hot cakes would be a SDM lens based on the Tamron 18-250mm or even a design of their own with SDM and perhaps a larger aperture.

Then they would have IS and in lens focussing in a 18-250mm package. Something Canon nor Nikon offers for a reasonable price.
06-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #66
Inactive Account

OK I am perhaps willing to accept that a 'refresh' or 'update' to the K100D was necessary. Maybe a sensible idea for increasing sales a bit. But "A stroke of marketing genius"? "Awesome?" You have got to be kidding...

As someone who already has a K100D, why would I sell or trade and lose most of my initial investment, just so I can re-buy the same camera except with SDM? Unless of course they proceed to take out the in-camera motor like Nikon so I can only use SDM lenses...

OK so it's aimed at first-time dSLR buyers... Forget about comparing with the Nikon D40x. The D40x offers absolutely terrible value for money. But still it gets good reviews and still it will sell to people looking for their first dSLR, who are looking at pixel counts above all else and many of whom probably looked at one or two websites and bought into the myth of Canon and Nikon being the only choice.

The K100D Super is a camera which is going to be advertised with the word "New", but when people look at it they will realise it is an existing camera (which has been recycled many times already) with yet one more addition. It offers SDM, something which the competition already has. As of yet there are no Pentax SDM lenses available, as of the end of July there "should" be two, and both are high-end and therefore not likely to be lenses which most first-time dSLR buyers would consider. So I fail to see how exactly the K100D Super is going to be flying off the shelves or how it could conceivably be called a piece of "marketing genius".

As for pixels, I know 6mp is good enough. But go into any camera shop and watch the assistant trying to convince a customer that the camera with less megapixels could possibly be better, then look at the customer's face and see if they're convinced.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 06-30-2007 at 01:23 PM.
06-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I said on another thread when I though I was replying to this one...

"if they would add K10D style weather sealing, THAT would be a worthy upgrade and make it a real SUPER camera"

Weather sealing is the main reason I will be upgrading to a K10D soon and would be quite happy with a 6MP weather sealed body...

06-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
As I said on another thread when I though I was replying to this one...

"if they would add K10D style weather sealing, THAT would be a worthy upgrade and make it a real SUPER camera"

Weather sealing is the main reason I will be upgrading to a K10D soon and would be quite happy with a 6MP weather sealed body...
Amen to that!
07-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #69

some says the awb in k100d super has been improved
let's wait and see
07-02-2007, 05:07 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by xbadx Quote
let's wait and see
That would be very nice indeed, hope it's true.
07-02-2007, 05:35 AM   #71
Ed in GA

let's wait and see

QuoteOriginally posted by CSpronken Quote
That would be very nice indeed, hope it's true.
I can't help but wonder where all of this stuff comes from????

I've read nothing, anywhere, that would indicate any improvements other than those listed in the press release

Last edited by Ed in GA; 07-02-2007 at 06:38 AM.
07-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

let's wait and see
Shoot RAW for Improved WB control Or always do Manual WB settings

I am happy though about the K100Dsuper. Now If I could get a Dicain or ownuser grip that they have for it now I might get one, Mainly for ISO3200 and with the SDM support it would be great for night sports.
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
It isn't worthless to those of us already in the Pentax camp. It is a big fat nothing to those outside.

If you think the D40x was a worse 'upgrade' for Nikon than this is for Pentax, then you're dreaming. AF points? Conventional wisdom is that Nikon/Canon have better autofocus than Pentax. In-lens motors? Nikon/Canon already have that. Image Quality? I don't even want to talk about the vast perception of Pentax JPEGs. So you're left with anti-shake - which the K100D already has. (Dust reduction is a joke. It doesn't work, and Canon now has it too.)

Just the fact that the D40 sold *at all* tells us that the vast majority of DSLR buyers aren't checking any sort of fact sheet about their cameras. Who would want a camera that is crippled to most of the producer's lenses?!

My point is that Pentax seems to take 'one step forward, one step back' when it comes to marketing. They really drove a perception of no innovation whatsoever with the DS/DS2/DL/DL2 product line - fairly or unfairly. I wonder how much of the current predicament - with takeovers/un-takeovers/takeovers again, delayed lenses, etc. - is a by-product of these non-upgrade upgrades?

I hope as much as everyone else that Pentax can release a great camera, better than the K10D, and take some of the market share from the bigger manufacturers. IMO these 'Super' upgrades aren't the way to do it.
I have to agree with Sean. I was talking to a co-worker last week (before the news of this broke) and he was saying "I'm gonna get me a D40." I tried to tell him about the crippled lens mount but he wouldn't hear it. He simply didn't care. There were a few lenses that fit it and he was willing to go with those. His main selling points? Name and Price, and in roughly that order. "I can get a new Nikon digital camera for under $750." That's all he cared about. I tried to talk up the Pentax, "why get a Pentax with bad picture quality when I can get a real Nikon?"
I'm sure he is a fairly typical consumer.

NaCl(yes, a bonehead, but there are LOTS of boneheads out there)H2O
07-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I have to agree with Sean. I was talking to a co-worker last week (before the news of this broke) and he was saying "I'm gonna get me a D40." I tried to tell him about the crippled lens mount but he wouldn't hear it. He simply didn't care. There were a few lenses that fit it and he was willing to go with those. His main selling points? Name and Price, and in roughly that order. "I can get a new Nikon digital camera for under $750." That's all he cared about. I tried to talk up the Pentax, "why get a Pentax with bad picture quality when I can get a real Nikon?"

In the long run what matters is making the best cameras for the money and being to get that across to the public. I think the K10D and the K100D Super are best value in each class. However with the K10D that advantage is big enough for people to step into the Pentax boat. I reckon that's not the case with the K100D Super, it's the best value in it's class, but the lead is not big enough to overcome it's less known brand name. They should've fixed the buffer and add RAW+JPG for that.

If they bring out a model between the K100D Super and K10D this fall, I'm sure it will have as great a value for money lead in it's class as the K10D has, basically Pentax has no choice they need to offer much better value for money with their market share.
07-03-2007, 05:13 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Well, Salty, you tried. It's his problem now if he can't get sharp low-light shots without using flash without throwing money on really expensive VR glass.

Don't worry, there are also a lot of informed people out there, like us! And we're only growing in rank.