Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The upgrade to add DR made me think for a minute. I'm leaning towards a 10D, and the dust reduction is one of the features leading me that way... but, an 8x12 at 300dpi means 3600 pixels wide. And I really like doing my prints at 300 dpi. On my printer it makes a difference. Once you get to 300 and over the printer uses a whole different, way more acurate printng algorythm. TO get that, I need 10 mp, as far as i can tell. Taking my 6 mp camera at just over 3000 pixels wide, and bumping it to 3600 in photoshop works, but I have this nagging doubt that going to 3800 and leaving myself a bit of room to crop might work even better.

But in Canadian funds, $599 for an K100D super, and a 10-17 mm fisheye zoom = about 1200$. A K10D and the extra baterry pack = about $1200 dollars. Notice there is no fisheye lens coming with the K10D. Did I mention I have about $1200 left from my tax return? Decisions decisions.

Unless something else happens I'll be geting the fisheye this year and passing on a new camera body. The old *ist DS will have to hoof it for another year. I'm hoping the price of the K10D will fall in that time period.

Last edited by normhead; 07-03-2007 at 06:58 PM.
07-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Yes, 6M is not enough.. (but 10M+ is more noisy)

Yes, I think you're right. The main point is 6M is only adequate for prints at around 200dpi up to 14" x 11" where as 12MP will be good enough up to 300 dpi up to 14" x 11" approximately.

So, whereas 10MP actually is still not adequate, it still closer to the limit. Even though the difference will be less obvious when you view at distance for such a larger print, it is very obvious when we look at closer. Yet, a 14" x 11" print is not really a very large print btw.

However, do note that when you choose the K10, it will have more noise than the K100 as more pixels are packed in the same sensor size, i.e., an APS-C one. Unless there is major technology breakthrough, I think the dilemma of more pixel count Vs more noise cannot be resolved if the sensor size and format is to be maintained.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The upgrade to add DR made me think for a minute. I'm leaning towards a 10D, and the dust reduction is one of the features leading me that way... but, an 8x12 at 300dpi means 3600 pixels wide. And I really like doing my prints at 300 dpi. On my printer it makes a difference. Once you get to 300 and over the printer uses a whole different, way more acurate printng algorythm. TO get that, I need 10 mp, as far as i can tell. Taking my 6 mp camera at just over 3000 pixels wide, and bumping it to 3600 in photoshop works, but I have this nagging doubt that going to 3800 and leaving myself a bit of room to crop might work even better.

But in Canadian funds, $599 for an K100D super, and a 10-17 mm fisheye zoom = about 1200$. A K10D and the extra baterry pack = about $1200 dollars. Notice there is no fisheye lens coming with the K10D. Did I mention I have about $1200 left from my tax return? Decisions decisions.

Unless something else happens I'll be geting the fisheye this year and passing on a new camera body. The old *ist DS will have to hoof it for another year. I'm hoping the price of the K10D will fall in that time period.
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #78

Why I'm not dropping too much into DA lenses ...

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, I think you're right. The main point is 6M is only adequate for prints at around 200dpi up to 14" x 11" where as 12MP will be good enough up to 300 dpi up to 14" x 11" approximately ...
However, do note that when you choose the K10, it will have more noise than the K100 as more pixels are packed in the same sensor size, i.e., an APS-C one. Unless there is major technology breakthrough, I think the dilemma of more pixel count Vs more noise cannot be resolved if the sensor size and format is to be maintained.
You've hit my main reason for buying the K100D and sticking with "cheap" DA lenses on-the-money.

RE: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/72938-post17.html

All-in-all, I'm using my K100D for up to 4" x 6" for 500dpi and 8" x 10" (actually 6.7" x 10") where it's 300dpi. I'm planning on doing a few 16" x 24" posters, which will only be 125dpi, but that's tolerable given the type of display/distance.
07-07-2007, 04:28 AM   #79

Photos: Gallery
I just realised that the K100D doesn't have those delightful dials in the front and back of the shutter release button! The ones which I believe control shutter speed and aperature.

Do you miss them?

07-07-2007, 04:40 AM   #80
Inactive Account

The K100d isn't missing both dials; but it only has one, on the back. That dial controls both aperture and shutter speed... depending on the mode being used, you set one with the dial, and then hold down the Av button and set the other with the dial too. You quickly get used to it and it works pretty well.

It's not quite as fast or convenient as having two dedicated dials... but bear in mind that not having two dials is pretty much standard on dSLRs of this level from all manufacturers (as it was with auto film SLRs too).
07-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I just realised that the K100D doesn't have those delightful dials in the front and back of the shutter release button! The ones which I believe control shutter speed and aperature.

Do you miss them?
Yes. There's quite a few user-interface improvements in the K10D. Some of them (like this, the focus mode dial, and so on) are part of the marketing distinction between entry level and advanced. Other things, like the white balance preview, I hope are innovations they move into all new models. (It'll be interesting to see if the menus in the K100D Super are just like the K100D or if they've taken a cue from the K10D.)
07-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
The 'DR' as it is advertised doesn't do anything, period. I never looked at RH's tests, I did look at another test somewhere comparing Oly to Sony to Pentax - but in my real world experience you can run the shakey-dust-remover and it doesn't budge one speck.

And people don't complain about it because it isn't a big deal, and no one else's DR works, either. It certainly sells more cameras and I'm happy that it does.
As an Oly owner, but a current K100D user, I'll say that the Oly DR works so well that I never have had a dust issue, whereas I have to wet clean my Pentax often to keep the specks from showing on blue sky. It's not a big deal, but a small to medium annoyance,

If the K10D system works well enough so that a blower knocks it off, that's a huge plus for the new super. It's priced right, with great features. It will sell.

07-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You serious? Everywhere I look the K100D sells for like $600 and up!
02-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #84

External flash connection

Does anyone know of a way to connect K100D Super and an external flash? The camera body does not have the a plug for it!

I believe there is a module that will go to the flash slot on top of the body and connect to the external flash, but couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance.
02-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #85
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Baria Quote
Does anyone know of a way to connect K100D Super and an external flash? The camera body does not have the a plug for it!

I believe there is a module that will go to the flash slot on top of the body and connect to the external flash, but couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance.
The k10d lacks such a piece as well.

You are looking for a "hotshoe to PC adapter".
02-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #86

Exactly, SloPhoto.

I have an old flash with the bracket, but couldn't figure out how to connect to the K100D Super body.
02-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #87
Veteran Member

You're looking for something like this. As Slophoto stated, a Google search for "hotshoe adapter" will net you some results.

02-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #88
Inactive Account

Exactly, SloPhoto.

I have an old flash with the bracket, but couldn't figure out how to connect to the K100D Super body.

if you search that exact phrase at adorama/bhphoto you will net a generic version of the product.

There is also a product called "safesync" that is the same thing but with protection for older flashes were the trigger voltage is too high.
03-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #89

I bought, but haven't received, one hotshoe adaptor from Ebay. It is said to be compatible with Pentax. I hope the trigger voltage match.

Thanks, everybody.