Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K100D Super

Just saw this while browsing

Pentax K100D Super DSLR - PhotographyBLOG

06-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #2

I kinda expected a small update on the K100D as a short term solution, but I expected a few more changes than just dust removal and SDM support. I also expected a larger buffer and RAW+JPG. But still I'm extremely pleased they kept the 6mp sensor and this will almost certainly be my next camera.

I wonder if they kept the updates so limited to allow a model between the K10D and K100D super or that it is just a cost saving exercise?
06-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

A couple of minor improvements does not justify the word "Super". Except of course it's supposed to remind us of the old ME Super, just like the K100D is named to remind people of the K1000. Which is frankly silly. The K1000 and ME Super were different cameras, not the exact same camera but for a couple of little additions. At this rate we'll have the K100D-MX, (K100D with slightly larger buffer?), then the K100D-LX (K100D with slightly improved shake reduction?) and finally the K100D-Spotmatic (K100d with a different paint job?)... I just wish they'd give us something more substantial in a "new" camera. Or, a controversial suggestion, some lenses.
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #4

brilliant camera with one failure --- oh why not increase that buffer to a bit bigger size with jpegs... but other than that an excellent update

and they kept 6MP sensor, simply brilliant!!!

06-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there?

Actually I do think the decision to keep the 6mp sensor, while maybe not exactly brilliant, is not a bad thing. I respect Pentax for not simply caving in and stuffing more megapixels in so they can say "Hey look, we have as many pixels as Canon"... who knows, maybe lots of people will see the new Pentax and recognise that there are more important things than megapixels... hey, I can dream...
06-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #6

not really... I love the fact that the upgrade is actually 1/2 a camera that I want without the good bits removed ... and am really happy that they resisted moving to 10MP and losing a stop of sensitivity in the process

as I am a guy who never prints larger than A4... so this camera is for me :-) ... the missing 1/2 is the buffer size upgrade... but let's see once it ships, maybe they improved internal transfer rates so it can shoot a bit longer in lower quality mode or something like this... despite of it SMD is what I want and DR is an OK perk...
06-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
sft

Photos: Gallery
Its official:

Pentax Imaging - Pentax Press Release

and the specs:

Pentax Imaging -

All good and well - except for buffer - 5 shot Jpeg and 3 shot RAW buffer is pathetic for a dSLR in 2007 - even for an entry level one. At least make it like 5 RAW and 8-9 Jpeg or something.

I wouldnt be suprised if we get an updated one in 6-12 months with 10MP's similar to what Nikon did with the D40/D40X. Also they could have called it something else Super is a little cheesy theese days IMO - say something like the K100DS, K100DX, K100DI or something.

Still though its a nice camera and SDM is great of course - 6MP is good for those who are in the know - but I wonder if it will hurt sales? A lot of people moving up might want a 10MP camera - but this is why I think a 10MP version won't be long - I think they are trying to still lure people towards the K10 for now.

06-27-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
not really... I love the fact that the upgrade is actually 1/2 a camera that I want without the good bits removed ... and am really happy that they resisted moving to 10MP and losing a stop of sensitivity in the process

as I am a guy who never prints larger than A4... so this camera is for me :-) ... the missing 1/2 is the buffer size upgrade... but let's see once it ships, maybe they improved internal transfer rates so it can shoot a bit longer in lower quality mode or something like this... despite of it SMD is what I want and DR is an OK perk...
Well I completely agree on the sensor issue. I use high sensitivity fairly often and with the K100d I can get away with it. It's unfortunate though that the most positive comment I can make about it is on something they didn't add.

I'm sure the SDM is good, but for me there are more important things than faster focusing... like as you say a larger buffer, or, yes I'm going to say it again, more lens choice. I don't have a specific problem with the camera as such, more with the approach - namely, continuing to recycle the same camera with slight improvements and acting as if it was a new camera. I just think there are other places the money and time could have been better spent. Particularly it bothers me that PentaxImaging.com already advertises the K100D Super... but at the same time they still haven't bothered to amend their lens listings to indicate that they can no longer sell you the majority of those lenses. I received the latest Pentax lens brochure and the cover photo shows a bunch of lenses which are very difficult or impossible to buy new. Why? Because it would not look as impressive if they only showed current DA lenses. I know this is too much to ask, but I wish Pentax would acknowledge that they are an optics company and concentrate on optics... or if they must put their efforts into bodies then at least come up with something actually new.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 06-27-2007 at 05:28 PM.
06-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw the headline and thought "cool". I saw the buffer and thought "bugger".
I'd like to upgrade my Ds, I don't want a K10D. I thought the next 100D upgrade would be bound to grab me - but nope. Though I may end up with this anyway, I am disappointed.

Is the Shake Reduction upgraded to K10D specs?
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Ed in GA

I had hoped for an upgrade to include a better ISO range (100-3200) along with wireless flash capability.

With an MSRP of $519 for the body only, I suspect the discounters will have it for around $450.
06-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I saw the headline and thought "cool". I saw the buffer and thought "bugger".
I'd like to upgrade my Ds, I don't want a K10D. I thought the next 100D upgrade would be bound to grab me - but nope. Though I may end up with this anyway, I am disappointed.
Same here, I hoped for a larger buffer as well (and RAW+JPG) mainly because I think Pentax will get heavy critique for not upgrading it. Personally though I do not really need it (yet) so not really a reason for me not to buy it.[/QUOTE]

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Is the Shake Reduction upgraded to K10D specs?
Don't think so, AFAIK the K10D can use more powerful SR because of it's more powerful power supply. The K100D Super retains it's normal power supply which will now be additionally used by the dust removal.

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I had hoped for an upgrade to include a better ISO range (100-3200) along with wireless flash capability.

With an MSRP of $519 for the body only, I suspect the discounters will have it for around $450.
Depends when, the K100D can be bought online for $420, so by December you might get the K100D Super for less than $400 even.
06-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

And people wonder why the other brands bash Pentax for re-releasing the same camera with a new name? Heck, at least the DL2 had a bigger LCD screen.

I'm not usually dour on Pentax, but this is a flop.
06-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
And people wonder why the other brands bash Pentax for re-releasing the same camera with a new name? Heck, at least the DL2 had a bigger LCD screen.

I'm not usually dour on Pentax, but this is a flop.
I fully agree.
06-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
racinsince55

A flop? I think not.

An upgrade to an already extremely popular and solid camera is a good thing.
06-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
A flop? I think not.

An upgrade to an already extremely popular and solid camera is a good thing.
It's a flop because of the perception. What is everyone outside of our happy Pentax bubble thinking? 'Same camera, new name. Big whoop.'

Pentax needs to learn to bundle more into their releases to make them seem better - even if they aren't, like the D40X.

And I agree that the K100D is a dream camera, and it was certainly an upgrade over the *ist DL - look at the tremendous feature upgrade there. That's what I'm talking about!