Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by racinsince55 Quote
A flop? I think not.

An upgrade to an already extremely popular and solid camera is a good thing.
It's a lazy thing. It's a lazy upgrade. From that point of view it may be a good thing for the company because it doesn't cost them much. I fail to see how it's a good thing for me when I have a K100D; am I going to sell or trade in my K100D for a now-laughable resale value just to get SDM? The time and money Pentax spent on this could have instead been put towards releasing getting lenses out.

So IMO it's not all that good for the people already invested in Pentax digital. It's presumably targeted at people looking for a first dSLR. At the last PMA Pentax ran ads to the effect of "There's an alternative to the big two" and that's the message they're trying to get across... but as others have said, the majority of those potential customers are not likely to be impressed by looking at the progression of DS-DL-K100D-K100D-Super. I know the 6mp sensor is fine and we don't all need a large buffer, but good luck explaining that to all those first-time dSLR buyers who decide based on spec comparisons.

Carpents is right to cite the D40x - yet it's lazy, and in fact it offers very poor value compared to the alternatives. But it's 'successful' because the majority who (allow me to be incredibly patronising and snobbish) don't know any better are impressed by the pixel count (and of course magazines who recognise this promote it as a good choice). Is K100D-Super going to impress those people if they weren't already impressed by a K100D, simply because it has faster focus?

Last edited by ZaphodB; 06-27-2007 at 07:10 PM.
06-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
And people wonder why the other brands bash Pentax for re-releasing the same camera with a new name? Heck, at least the DL2 had a bigger LCD screen.

I'm not usually dour on Pentax, but this is a flop.
yep, I really liked the k100d but I agree to me this news can be described simply as "Yawn...". This is a ds2/dl2 upgrade (which was said at pma wasn't going to happen anymore? wasn't it?).

Unfortunately they could have really made it 'super' with the same 6mp sensor and more features such as unlimited 3fps buffer etc etc which would have got them a nice market for people upgrading. I really couldn't see many people selling a k100 to buy a k100 super.

It also makes you wonder about the next k10 (or higher) camera. Will that be a k10 'super'? with improved battery monitor etc?

Phil
06-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a nice little camera. I might have to give it some serious consideration. I still like the weather sealing and pentaprisim viewfinder of the K10D though. Just what I need another new camera to consider
06-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I really hope this is a stop gap solution.

I was hoping to get a tiny pentax for the GF come Xmas time, but I cannot justify a k100d super.

Now a k110d super, possibly (but that will never happen)

06-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good to see, sad to hear. Pentax are finally thinking like the C & N camps in terms of market strategy. Too many features would be counter productive to the K10's current progress in the market i would think. This is clearly aimed at new dslr buyers looking for a easy to use, feature rich body compatible with future developements. There's no point in pampering the audience you've already got when the name of the game is bringing in the crowd you dont yet have.
06-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

And people wonder why the other brands bash Pentax for re-releasing the same camera with a new name? Heck, at least the DL2 had a bigger LCD screen.

If they're keeping the k100d in the line as the entry level camera, they needed to install the hardware for the 2 contacts powering the sdm lenses. This creates more of an audience of people who can buy these sdm lenses, and is just smart business not just cost avoidance business. This is a logical phaseout of the current K100D as SDM can't be provided by firmware, nor could it be seen as a possible deficiency warranty issue with it.

I don't believe this is part of the 2 NEW DSLRs to be introduced in just a couple of months.

They will probably be a 10MP camera comparable to the K100D to compete with the D40X.

And a K10D "Super" to simply solve VPN, jpg IQ, etc. so it can be completely avoided in the current K10D by replacing it - saving lots in warranty/firmware development. Obviously there will be some other trivial feature to explain the new designation like SR for panning a la E-510 that shuts off the horizontal direction.

Hoped for this-year model above K10D probably held off for mid 2008.

Pure speculation.

Last edited by mutley; 06-27-2007 at 09:16 PM.
06-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #22

It's called a "revision" ...

It's called a revision of an existing product. I'm 100% sure the K100D manufacturing will end, be left to existing runs and resulting stock, while the K100D Super directly replaces it. In fact, from my understanding, production of the K110D ended last month entirely.

It's not even a "replacement" for the K100D, again, it's just the "newer revision." Simple engineering revision and not uncommon in the lifecycle of any product. In fact, they probably hit on the two (2) of the most commonly requested upgrades that consumers wanted -- DR and support for the new in-lens motors.

From an engineering perspective, that's knowing your requirements, nothing more, nothing less. If marketing puts a spin on that, whatever. I don't really see that either, as Pentax has largely pointed out in its own press release that it's the same, great K100D with those added functions.

06-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #23

I think this is brilliant. I was afraid that Pentax would dump the 6mp because everyone else did. Adding SDM in the K100D is great!

I dont want a bigger camera, I dont want proprietary batteries, I wont pay for a deeper buffer, although it would be nice. But I was beginning to lament the lack ofuse of the new lenses on my camera.

The questoin is, do ya snap up a camera when its available? cause this comboi wont last long in the market, and will be a classic later, like the MX is now. It was overshadowed by new bodies with new features, but looking back, I would trade my Super Program for an MX straight up!
06-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I saw the headline and thought "cool". I saw the buffer and thought "bugger".
I'd like to upgrade my Ds, I don't want a K10D. I thought the next 100D upgrade would be bound to grab me - but nope. Though I may end up with this anyway, I am disappointed.

Is the Shake Reduction upgraded to K10D specs?
Ditto.....regarding the "cool" and "bugger" ...but then K10D has
dropped a bit in price...so maybe it will work out

Cheers,

Jack
06-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
I fully agree.
Hi ya Glen,

I partially agree .....about the only aspect I am disappointed in is the "small" buffer I was hoping that it would be (at least) equal to my aging IST*Ds ....but, c'est la vie.

Cheers,

Jack
06-28-2007, 12:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding the buffer:
Why is this important for you?
How often do you shoot several images in one second?

I only very, very rarely use this feature.
06-28-2007, 01:04 AM   #27

The only flop was D40x. Same camera, 10mpix sensor and release 3 months after D40
06-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by kmccanta Quote
I think this is brilliant. I was afraid that Pentax would dump the 6mp because everyone else did. Adding SDM in the K100D is great!
If there is one thing for certain with Pentax, they'll stick with a good thing, regardless of the marketing aspects.
I dont want a bigger camera, I dont want proprietary batteries,
It would have been nice if they would put better voltage regulator logic so you could use Rechargeable CR-V3 (RCR-V3) batteries.
Let's face it, moving up to a Li-Ion would be 10x better than having to either deal with NiMH AAs or continually shouve out the dough for Lithium AAs.
I wont pay for a deeper buffer, although it would be nice. But I was beginning to lament the lack of use of the new lenses on my camera.
I hear you! I'm really using only 1-2 lenses when I go out.
The questoin is, do ya snap up a camera when its available? cause this comboi wont last long in the market, and will be a classic later, like the MX is now. It was overshadowed by new bodies with new features, but looking back, I would trade my Super Program for an MX straight up!
It's clear the K100D is here to stay, despite other predictions.
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Regarding the buffer:
Why is this important for you?
How often do you shoot several images in one second?
I only very, very rarely use this feature.
Well, I do a lot of action photography with my K100D. I bought it for sports, but have ended up using it even for aerial photography of jet aircraft. I'd like 5fps with a 10 frame buffer. But I'm willing to wait on that. The K100D does a good enough job now.
06-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #29
Inactive Account

The K100D Super is awesome news to me and I think a stroke of marketing genius from Pentax. (imagine Pentax and marketing in the same sentence).

I am one of those holding onto my *istDS (cause I ain't rich - damn kids I don't see why they just cant eat bread for a month or two) and saving up for lenses so far have the 16-45, Pentax M 50 F2, Pentax K 55 F1.8 and the sigma 55-200.

Now I am currently saving to buy the DA* 50-135 which will be perfect for my favourite pastime of martial arts photography.

Now I always thought I would have to go to a K10D or better for the lens to ever work with the SDM which is priced out of my league.

Now I can realistically save up for a K100D Super after I get this lens..

It also means that the market for the DA* lenses is not just restricted to those in the K10D camp and can be marketed accross the board of all Pentax owners.
06-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

This is awesome and if you think that this upgrade is worthless then you really need to look at it again.

So for $150 less than a Nikon D40x you get full lens support across your brands spectrum, wonderful image quality, built-in shake reduction, SDM, Dust Reduction, 11 AF points vs 3.

Basically Pentax just kicked everyones butt in the entry level Dslr realm with one easy upgrade!

IMHO it is going to be the easiest camera to sell because of it's now overly impressive feature set so maybe you don't want it, but the next Pentax camera they reveal will so just hold your horses.