Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #91

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
It's only impressive if you're comparing to a compact point-and-shoot camera. Not if you're comparing to the K-7's competition from Nikon and Canon.

But don't feel bad, it's not the lens' fault. Pentax's auto focus technology is woefully behind the times.

Of course the biggest joke of all is the AF.C mode focusing speed. I remember many years ago (2001?) when I was considering an SLR camera and I tried out a mid-range Nikon 35mm in the store. The first thing the sales rep did was put the camera in continuous focusing mode and had me try it out. I couldn't believe how fast this thing focused from point to point! The focus followed every movement I made flawlessly. There was no hunting, no hesitating, no delay.

When I compare that experience to my K-7 in AF.C mode, it makes me want to avoid AF.C at all costs. And this is comparing it to an 8-year old film camera!
AF.C works even better. I can go all over the room and continuous focus is done almost instantaneous. Will try to show a video for this.

02-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Jebus. I know 50-135 is slow. So is the Tokina. You guys mix up the slowness of the Tokina/Pentax 50-135 on both the Canon/Pentax systems with the overall slowness of Pentax AF.
I think the point here is that Alex00's video shows just how slow his lens is focusing compared to its direct competition, while he claims it's super fast. It's like if I showed you a rotten apple as proof that my apple's quality is the best, even though I've clearly never seen an unspoiled apple.

But on another note (and closer to this thread's original subject), I've never seen the Tokina version of this lens. Does it use the same crappy micro-motor as the DA* 50-135mm? (if so, that may be another reason why they might be discontinuing it)
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #93
Damn Brit

But on another note (and closer to this thread's original subject), I've never seen the Tokina version of this lens. Does it use the same crappy micro-motor as the DA* 50-135mm? (if so, that may be another reason why they might be discontinuing it)
Yeah, can we get back on topic please gents? Thanks
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #94

3% of the people will always complain wine and cry even if they have the best equipment or receive the best service. This is a known fact and it's the case for every business. You go to amazon, you see a product with 97% excellent reviews 5 stars but then you see those 3% that gives it 1 star and complain. If going from infinity to focus in split second is not good enough for you, i don't know what is. If it's a defective lens that you have, that's a different story.

Last edited by Alex00; 02-04-2010 at 06:14 PM.
02-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #95
Veteran Member

I think the point here is that Alex00's video shows just how slow his lens is focusing compared to its direct competition, while he claims it's super fast.
In fact, to decide what exactly is DA* 50-135's direct competition is probably worthy of a long debate as, well.

QuoteQuote:
Just listen to the high pitched whirring in the video I posted. It definitely doesn't sound like a piezoelectric motor.
02-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Yeah, can we get back on topic please gents? Thanks
You mean about the lens being discontinued?
02-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
3% of the people will always complain wine and cry even if they have the best equipment or receive the best service. This is a known fact and it's the case for every business. You go to amazon, you see a product with 97% excellent reviews 5 stars but then you see those those 3% that gives it 1 star and complain. If going from infinity to focus in split second is not good enough for you, i don't know what is. If it's a defective lens that you have, that's a different story.
What the heck are you talking about? I never complained. I clearly said earlier that Pentax focusing is "fast enough" for me. I picked a K-7 because it had everything I needed (and then some) at the right price point. Focusing speed was not high on my list of priorities. If it had been, I might've considered other options more closely.

But don't delude yourself into thinking your Pentax focuses faster than anything on Earth, or even comes close to the competition. It does not. All the videos you're posting are just proving that fact resoundingly. Lots of people can make use of faster auto-focus, and those people get turned off from Pentax because of its lack of performance in that area. Apparently you, like me, have no use for it, and that's great for you. That doesn't mean you get to generalize and call anyone who wants faster auto-focusing "crazy" or unworthy of living on this planet.
02-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
In fact, to decide what exactly is DA* 50-135's direct competition is probably worthy of a long debate as, well.
Well I picked the Canon 18-135mm IS as an example because it has about the same maximum focal range, but the truth is I don't know about its quality in comparison to DA*-series lenses. I just know it focuses fast. I also know it's WAY cheaper than the DA* 50-135mm. Again, perhaps another reason to discontinue the 50-135mm? Maybe Tokina was feeling the pinch of competition and just wasn't making money?

02-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #99

What the heck are you talking about? I never complained. I clearly said earlier that Pentax focusing is "fast enough" for me. I picked a K-7 because it had everything I needed (and then some) at the right price point. Focusing speed was not high on my list of priorities. If it had been, I might've considered other options more closely.

But don't delude yourself into thinking your Pentax focuses faster than anything on Earth, or even comes close to the competition. It does not. All the videos you're posting are just proving that fact resoundingly. Lots of people can make use of faster auto-focus, and those people get turned off from Pentax because of its lack of performance in that area. Apparently you, like me, have no use for it, and that's great for you. That doesn't mean you get to generalize and call anyone who wants faster auto-focusing "crazy" or unworthy of living on this planet.
You need to read those posts more clearly, i never compared pentax to competition or other brands as you specified above. Don't put words in people's mouth. All the videos i posted gives answers to few of the issues people had here. I don't work for pentax, i don't get paid this and i could care less.
02-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #100
Veteran Member

You need to read those posts more clearly, i never compared pentax to competition or other brands as you specified above. Don't put words in people's mouth.
Alright then, I'll just quote your own words back to you instead:
Are you serious. If you think half a second is too much for focusing, i don't' think you should be living on this planet.
See? That's a silly generalization, and exactly the kind of elitist attitude that leads to misguided assumptions.

This thread is talking about about how the 55-135 takes along time to focus
Actually no, this thread is about the potential cancellation of the DA* 50-135mm. You brought it on a nice, wild ride, though.

All the videos i posted gives answers to few of the issues people had here. I don't work for pentax, i don't get paid this and i could care less.
Alright then, how about you compare focusing speed between the DA* 50-135mm and the kit lens (or other good screw-drive lens) in good light? And start a new thread about it while you're at it.
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #101

Alright then, I'll just quote your own words back to you instead:

See? That's a silly generalization, and exactly the kind of elitist attitude that leads to misguided assumptions.

Actually no, this thread is about the potential cancellation of the DA* 50-135mm. You brought it on a nice, wild ride, though.

Alright then, how about you compare focusing speed between the DA* 50-135mm and the kit lens (or other good screw-drive lens) in good light? And start a new thread about it while you're at it.
What you quoted above is irrelevant and does not make sense. Earlier you said

But don't delude yourself into thinking your Pentax focuses faster than anything on Earth, or even comes close to the competition.

I did not in any way compare anything to anything. Again your just assuming just as you're assuming that DA*55-135 will be discontinued. You can't live on assumption.

If i had the kit lens i would be more then happy to compare. not that i would see anything faster then a split second, unless we are maybe measuring in nano seconds.
02-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #102
Veteran Member

What you quoted above is irrelevant and does not make sense.
You're exactly right! Your words (which I quoted) are irrelevant and do not make sense. Thank you for agreeing Now that that's out of the way...

I did not in any way compare anything to anything. Again your just assuming just as you're assuming that DA*55-135 will be discontinued. You can't live on assumption.
Right again! That's why we have this thread, to discuss the possibility and share information one way or another. Now you're getting it! Gold star for you! I'm so glad you're improving. I feel like a proud teacher

If i had the kit lens i would be more then happy to compare. not that i would see anything faster then a split second, unless we are maybe measuring in nano seconds.
Wait a minute... so you don't have a screw-drive lens to compare with?!? Then how are you leaping to these conclusions?
02-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #103

You're exactly right! Your words (which I quoted) are irrelevant and do not make sense. Thank you for agreeing Now that that's out of the way...

Right again! That's why we have this thread, to discuss the possibility and share information one way or another. Now you're getting it! Gold star for you! I'm so glad you're improving. I feel like a proud teacher

Wait a minute... so you don't have a screw-drive lens to compare with?!? Then how are you leaping to these conclusions?
I didn't post in this thread to compare. And i didn't respond to posts that talks about comparing. Again your assuming and just putting words in my mouth. If you read clearly i responded to posts that talks about the 50-135 hunting for focus, and delays between pressing the shutter and focus.

Last edited by Alex00; 02-04-2010 at 07:15 PM.
02-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Why do i always have to show you a video to believe. I just couldn't adjust focus manually while holding 2 cameras. Left hand is holding a point shoot camera to record the other hand that is holding the K7. I tried again and here's another video for you.
I'm sorry, but you are not going to convince us that have been around a bit, that is fast. It might be fast for you, but in a relative sense it is slow. You also may not be aware that SAFOX has a problem below EV5. Look it up. See the tests on popphoto that show how SAFOX slows down below EV 6 considerably. It has been true since the days of the istD* Your video is in the brightest of light. My almost-disposable Canon POS P&S can focus about as fast as what you showed in bright light. Realize that one of the primary reasons for going up to a DSLR is responsiveness. Certainly IQ is important, but that is only one factor.

Try a 7D with a 70-200 in a dark room, or a D300 with a 70-200 dark room, then compare with the k-7/DA*.

No comparison. Did you notice in the video I posted (not my video) that the 7D with a 70-200 focused twice as fast as the k-7 with 50-135 using 5 stops less light?

The k-7 is a great camera, and the 50-135 is outstanding optically. But don't p on my leg and tell me its raining!!
02-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I'm sorry, but you are not going to convince us that have been around a bit, that is fast. It might be fast for you, but in a relative sense it is slow. You also may not be aware that SAFOX has a problem below EV5. Look it up. See the tests on popphoto that show how SAFOX slows down below EV 6 considerably. It has been true since the days of the istD* Your video is in the brightest of light. My almost-disposable Canon POS P&S can focus about as fast as what you showed in bright light. Realize that one of the primary reasons for going up to a DSLR is responsiveness. Certainly IQ is important, but that is only one factor.

Try a 7D with a 70-200 in a dark room, or a D300 with a 70-200 dark room, then compare with the k-7/DA*.

No comparison. Did you notice in the video I posted (not my video) that the 7D with a 70-200 focused twice as fast as the k-7 with 50-135 using 5 stops less light?

The k-7 is a great camera, and the 50-135 is outstanding optically. But don't p on my leg and tell me its raining!!
I'm not posting to prove things to you personally, but to give the general public an idea of how great the lens is and how fast it focuses. I suggest you go back and check the low light focusing video i posted so you don't say things like, uh you took the video in daylight.

Again here it is. Very low light
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsAk5aQWYQY[/YT]

Other videos i posted here

Cloudy day - white sky - focus from min to infinity. Tree leaves to sky.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfzRf3S41ws[/YT]

No delay between shutter press and focus
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO1ZLfpkrKo[/YT]

Another quick focus test.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWZfUW4uxc[/YT]
Closed Thread