Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
uh ok. This thread is about the Da* 50-135 lens.
For a while this thread has been about SDM. My points were the following: 1. Perhaps, those who complain about DA* 50-135 use it in situations when it hunts and then its long focus throw gets annoying. 2. Had they used DA 55-300 on a K200D or DA* 300 on Pentax *ist DS, they would've complained less about SDM (other than reliability).

02-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you serious. If you think half a second is too much for focusing, i don't' think you should be living on this planet. This thread is talking about about how the 55-135 takes along time to focus, the videos i posted proves it otherwise both from min to infinity and in very low light.
Please re-read my post properly. What I said was that there's a half-second DELAY between the time I press the button and the lens responds. The actual focusing time is quite fast, but the DELAY is annoying. It's annoying because it does not exist with my kit lens. That one responds the moment I touch the shutter button.

I am thoroughly enjoying my time on your planet. Thank you very much, earthling.
02-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Please re-read my post properly. What I said was that there's a half-second DELAY between the time I press the button and the lens responds. The actual focusing time is quite fast, but the DELAY is annoying. It's annoying because it does not exist with my kit lens. That one responds the moment I touch the shutter button.

I am thoroughly enjoying my time on your planet. Thank you very much, earthling.
I have absolutely no delay from when i half press until focus reacts. If i noticed otherwise i would have said so. I don't know what is causing your half sec delay but it is not the case for me between press and focus. The videos i posted clearly show this. I'm simply pointing to an object until i have the camera steady then i half press the shutter to focus. The process is almost instantaneous. look at both videos again.
02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #79
Veteran Member

The videos i posted clearly show this. I'm simply pointing to an object until i have the camera steady then i half press the shutter to focus. The process is almost instantaneous. look at both videos again.
Nope, sorry, the videos you posted don't "clearly" show that at all because they don't show your finger pressing on anything. There's also no sound to indicate when you're pressing anything, only the drive motor and the focus lock.

Maybe you got one of the rare "good" SDM lenses. I'm really happy yours is still performing well even a whole 2 weeks after you got it. That bodes well for you. Meanwhile, the ratio of good/bad SDM lenses in general tends to skew terribly towards the "bad" side.

Me, I'm very happy with my SDM lens. It focuses quietly and quickly. I wish it reacted as quickly as my screw-drive lens, but that's a minor quibble.

02-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Here you go. I just took this video looking out the balcony. This video shows focusing from min to infinity on a very cloudy day using K7 with DA* 55-135mm. Focus is always instant. i will post post focusing in low light shortly.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfzRf3S41ws[/YT]
You do realize that your video demonstrates how slow the 50-135 is don't you? And it was in bright daylight! And the sad thing is that the ring didn't have very far to travel. You may not be familiar with the competition.
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
You do realize that your video demonstrates how slow the 50-135 is don't you? And it was in bright daylight! And the sad thing is that the ring didn't have very far to travel. You may not be familiar with the competition.
Seriously, I don't find SDM to be any faster than screw-drive, and screw-drive doesn't even come close to the semi-pro offerings from Canon or Nikon when it comes to focusing speed. For my purposes, the speed of Pentax focusing is "fast enough", but pretending that it's actually fast is laughable.
02-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #82

Seriously, I don't find SDM to be any faster than screw-drive, and screw-drive doesn't even come close to the semi-pro offerings from Canon or Nikon when it comes to focusing speed. For my purposes, the speed of Pentax focusing is "fast enough", but pretending that it's actually fast is laughable.
Here's a video that show press to focus time delay. It's really 0 sec. By the time my finger reaches half press it focuses immediately.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO1ZLfpkrKo[/YT]

02-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #83

I think you should watch the video again. I'm focusing from tree leaves to the sky. This is not far enough for you??. Min to infinity took a split second on a very cloudy day with white sky. That's impressive.
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Here's a video that show press to focus time delay. It's really 0 sec. By the time my finger reaches half press it focuses immediately.
but... that's not actually focusing on anything, it's just confirming existing focus.
02-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I think you should watch the video again. I'm focusing from tree leaves to the sky. This is not far enough for you??. Min to infinity took a split second on a very cloudy day with white sky. That's impressive.
It's only impressive if you're comparing to a compact point-and-shoot camera. Not if you're comparing to the K-7's competition from Nikon and Canon.

But don't feel bad, it's not the lens' fault. Pentax's auto focus technology is woefully behind the times.

Of course the biggest joke of all is the AF.C mode focusing speed. I remember many years ago (2001?) when I was considering an SLR camera and I tried out a mid-range Nikon 35mm in the store. The first thing the sales rep did was put the camera in continuous focusing mode and had me try it out. I couldn't believe how fast this thing focused from point to point! The focus followed every movement I made flawlessly. There was no hunting, no hesitating, no delay.

When I compare that experience to my K-7 in AF.C mode, it makes me want to avoid AF.C at all costs. And this is comparing it to an 8-year old film camera!
02-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #86
Veteran Member

You do realize that your video demonstrates how slow the 50-135 is don't you?
Neither do I. Explain. (I realize it has a long focus throw, etc. But I don't get your point in this case.)
02-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Neither do I. Explain. (I realize it has a long focus throw, etc. But I don't get your point in this case.)
Go to a camera store. Ask to try out a Canon 5D Mark II, or even a 7D, with a decent lens (18-135mm IS is a good choice). Then you'll see what he means by "the 50-135mm is slow".

Especially try out servo-focusing. That's a real eye-opener.
02-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #88
Veteran Member

But don't feel bad, it's not the lens' fault. Pentax's auto focus technology is woefully behind the times.
Yes, Pentax AF is not the best. But it varies from lens to lens on Canon cameras as well.

Here's the Tokina 50-135:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5FgZToE7uQ

Here's the Canon 24-105:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deI_edTTMec
02-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Go to a camera store. Ask to try out a Canon 5D Mark II, or even a 7D, with a decent lens (18-135mm IS is a good choice). Then you'll see what he means by "the 50-135mm is slow".

Especially try out servo-focusing. That's a real eye-opener.
Jebus. I know 50-135 is slow. So is the Tokina. You guys mix up the slowness of the Tokina/Pentax 50-135 on both the Canon/Pentax systems with the overall slowness of Pentax AF.
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #90

but... that's not actually focusing on anything, it's just confirming existing focus.
Why do i always have to show you a video to believe. I just couldn't adjust focus manually while holding 2 cameras. Left hand is holding a point shoot camera to record the other hand that is holding the K7. I tried again and here's another video for you.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWZfUW4uxc[/YT]

Last edited by Alex00; 02-04-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Closed Thread