Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter

I almost bought an Olympus E-520 but instead went with my Pentax K200D. But I still have a warm spot in my heart for Olympus and wish them well. The E-620 is a great little camera that is too often overlooked. And micro four-thirds seems to have stolen what little thunder it had for a while. But it's a tidy, compact, well-designed and well-specified camera that doesn't cost too much and deserves more consideration.

02-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I don't know if I'd say that. Sony only has one DSLR in the top 50 of Amazon whether it be APS-C or FF. Sony simply isn't doing very well in the DSLR business period ...
The shocking thing was that this wasn't the case just over 1 - 2 yrs ago!! When Sony introduced the A200/300/350 in 2008, it was a home run for them, propelling them to a solid No. 3 with 10+ % market share. But Sony could not produce a convincing followup; with only minor improvement in subsequent models. And sales fell off the cliff.

You may hate video for all you like, but the lack of HD video definitely hurts Sony - and by the look of thing... a lot. HD video has now become a must-have on most general consumers' DSLR purchase checklist.

And it also illustrates how quickly market condition can change in as little as a few months in this digital era, and the short life span of any digital models. If Pentax cannot produce a convincing follow up to K-7 and K-x, the sales could evaporate in a heart beat by the end of the year.
02-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
The shocking thing was that this wasn't the case just over 1 - 2 yrs ago!! When Sony introduced the A200/300/350 in 2008, it was a home run for them, propelling them to a solid No. 3 with 10+ % market share. But Sony could not produce a convincing followup; with only minor improvement in subsequent models. And sales fell off the cliff.

You may hate video for all you like, but the lack of HD video definitely hurts Sony - and by the look of thing... a lot. HD video has now become a must-have on most general consumers' DSLR purchase checklist.

And it also illustrates how quickly market condition can change in as little as a few months in this digital era, and the short life span of any digital models. If Pentax cannot produce a convincing follow up to K-7 and K-x, the sales could evaporate in a heart beat by the end of the year.
Maybe Sony had a minor surge from the stuff left on the Minolta R & D board.
02-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
It's just anecdotal, but I see Pentax (and K7s especially) in all the camera shops in Toronto now. Just a year ago looking for a Pentax was like looking for a mythical beast. I am pleased to see it everywhere from consumer shops to pro shops.
Yeah. What amazed the hell outta me is that there's new pro-oriented shop that just opened up in Brisbane. It's a bit hidden, but it's right in the middle of the city.

They told me they were definitely pro oriented - no P&S or anything in sight.

The only three camera bodies they stock?

Canon, Nikon...and Pentax.

Like I stepped into a bloody parallel dimension, it was.

02-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #20

Lithos,

Which shop is this?

M
02-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I don't know if I'd say that. Sony only has one DSLR in the top 50 of Amazon whether it be APS-C or FF. Sony simply isn't doing very well in the DSLR business period (which is probably why they're so eager to start an EVIL system). I don't know if you can draw any parallels between Pentax and Sony. Pentax and Olympus maybe, but not Sony. I absolutely love the A850, and if it were a Pentax I'd be all over it, but I have a very hard time bringing myself to buy a Sony camera despite how much I like it. I still think Sony messed up by removing the Minolta name. Photographers can be passionate about their brands (this forum is a perfect example), and Sony killed off all of Minolta's history with a simple name change.
Yes I agree, dropping the Minolta brand was not smart
02-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #22

Yeah. Im curious too. where is this mythical shop!?
02-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GrahamD Quote
Yes I agree, dropping the Minolta brand was not smart
But they didn't had a choice. The brand belongs to Konica-Minolta, and Sony has it's own brand to use.

02-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
Lithos,

Which shop is this?

M
You in Brisbane?

Erm...crap. Can't recall *googles*

CameraPro. That's it. No lenses, but. I told 'em to to get in some Limiteds.

They said they had Sigma for Pentax. I said I wouldn't piss on Sigma were it on fire.
02-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's really great to see these kind of statistics. In Japan the K-7 is beating its main competitors - D300(s) and 50D. (Though not the D90 and the 7D, but those are arguably not really in the same class.) Anyway, hopefully good news like this will keep on coming in.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I said I wouldn't piss on Sigma were it on fire.
02-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I mean, it's great they're giving Pentax some credit. Personally, they struck me as...well, you know, nice guys, but the kind of guys who buy a 5D and spends time on web design forums telling everyone about how they've got a 5D, which is why the whole Pentax thing surprised me. Off all the DSLR brands to make it in a store like that, honestly, Pentax would've been way down on the list.

Unfortunately, the biggest stigma with Pentax in Aus doesn't have a "t" in it. Since CRK started shipping Sigma kit lenses with Pentax back in the nineties, in the most tossed-up, f*cked-up, stupid turn of events, there's the perception that Pentax makes good cameras (which they do!) but utterly crap lenses. After all, you never hear about Pentax lenses down here.

We really are inverted.
02-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You in Brisbane?

Erm...crap. Can't recall *googles*

CameraPro. That's it. No lenses, but. I told 'em to to get in some Limiteds.

They said they had Sigma for Pentax. I said I wouldn't piss on Sigma were it on fire.
Yup, am in Brissie.

Thanks for the link - I've never heard of the shop till now. I'll give 'em a visit and harass them as to why they don't stock Pentax lens.

Cheers,
M
02-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Level 6 or 7 of the Country Road building in the Mall.

Tell them - for the love of god, please - tell them to get some Limiteds in, at least the Holy Trinity (31mm, 43mm, and 77mm.)

Apart from the kit lenses with the K-7, the only other lenses they have in K-mount are Sigmas. They seem smart enough to be impressed by 'em if they only tried 'em.
02-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, Lithos, you sure have a way with words.

Sony's problem is that they decided to sell cameras like play stations -- price the bodies cheap, maybe under price and price the lenses really high. Also, they do tend to leave off features on lower end bodies to protect their higher end stuff. I think that is where Pentax has an edge. With only two lines (soon to be three) there is plenty of room to squeeze as much into each model as they think they can for a price point. It ends up killing the other companies that have another couple of models between entry level and upper end APS-C.

Oh, and I think the colors really did help a lot too.
02-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
It's just anecdotal, but I see Pentax (and K7s especially) in all the camera shops in Toronto now. Just a year ago looking for a Pentax was like looking for a mythical beast. I am pleased to see it everywhere from consumer shops to pro shops.

Trying out lenses etc. is much more fun now! I used to ask if I could see a lens on a body, and they'd have to rummage around to find a K100D, and then rummage some more to find working AA batteries. Now the shops all have K7s sitting around that I get to play with.

Re: colours, I'm really temped by the Hasselblad Yellow K-x!
Unfortunately that is not the case in Portugal. You see no Pentax nowhere. Only one (1) K-7 body to see at portuguese Pentax representative but they too are struggling to stay alive as market economics beat hard.

Rui