Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax hits their magic 10% or so.

Google Translate
No matter how you look at it Sony will probably be the most annoyed......

02-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
... And if Pentax (Hoya) continues to produce a quality product at an affordable price there is no reason why they won't increase their market share.
02-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Google Translate
No matter how you look at it Sony will probably be the most annoyed......

If you look at the best selling DSLRs on Amazon, Sony are quite a way down the list. Sony are trying to take everyone on whereas Pentax are just focused on increasing their market share.
I think it's also an indication that FF would be a tough market to get into for Pentax. Sony are probably suffering because, even at $2000 for the A850, that's still quite a chunk of change for people to lay out especially as Canon and Nikon are already well established in that market.
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

(Reflexively blurting out in one syllable: "We'reallgonnadie!")

Or... Not? What?

What's that, Lassie?

It could be kind of OK?

Whattawegonnadonow! Aaa!

02-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most interesting thing to me is that the K7 is at 2 percent of sales in Japan -- that is amazingly high for a high end Pentax camera. Definitely seems to me that the Kx is feeding K7 sales. Perhaps as over all sales go up, Pentax will consider higher end (full frame), but they definitely have gone about it in the right fashion. Start with full frame, without an adaquate base and they would sink like a stone.
02-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Sony are trying to take everyone on whereas Pentax are just focused on increasing their market share.
Definitely.
Pentax are focused on improving Pentax products more than making a camera with only one intention to beat Canon or Nikon.
With the K-x, Pentax has a camera to rival, or even beat the other brands at that price range.

Someone commented on DPR that the sales were down to the colours available.
Sarcasm could have been lost in the post, but the K-x can back itself up and isn't just a cool-looking camera for the hipsters.
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
but the K-x can back itself up and isn't just a cool-looking camera for the hipsters.
As silly as it sounds, I almost picked a K-x because of the available colour choices. I've even been tempted to order one from Japan in a funky combination as a second camera.

I'm real glad I picked a K-7, the budding amateur in me thinks it was the best choice. But I would've picked a green or blue K-7 if they were available Instead I have this boring black thing... black is so overdone!

02-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Totally agree, a colored K-7 would have rocked my world. Stormtrooper!
02-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sony are probably suffering because, even at $2000 for the A850, that's still quite a chunk of change for people to lay out especially as Canon and Nikon are already well established in that market.
I don't know if I'd say that. Sony only has one DSLR in the top 50 of Amazon whether it be APS-C or FF. Sony simply isn't doing very well in the DSLR business period (which is probably why they're so eager to start an EVIL system). I don't know if you can draw any parallels between Pentax and Sony. Pentax and Olympus maybe, but not Sony. I absolutely love the A850, and if it were a Pentax I'd be all over it, but I have a very hard time bringing myself to buy a Sony camera despite how much I like it. I still think Sony messed up by removing the Minolta name. Photographers can be passionate about their brands (this forum is a perfect example), and Sony killed off all of Minolta's history with a simple name change.
02-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's just anecdotal, but I see Pentax (and K7s especially) in all the camera shops in Toronto now. Just a year ago looking for a Pentax was like looking for a mythical beast. I am pleased to see it everywhere from consumer shops to pro shops.

Trying out lenses etc. is much more fun now! I used to ask if I could see a lens on a body, and they'd have to rummage around to find a K100D, and then rummage some more to find working AA batteries. Now the shops all have K7s sitting around that I get to play with.

Re: colours, I'm really temped by the Hasselblad Yellow K-x!
02-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I don't know if you can draw any parallels between Pentax and Sony. Pentax and Olympus maybe, but not Sony.
Pentax and Sony are both making DSLR's, Olympus doesn't.
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

pardon my ignorance... are Olympus DSLR's just re-badged cameras from someone else?
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #13
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
pardon my ignorance... are Olympus DSLR's just re-badged cameras from someone else?
Yeah, you're right, my bad. I don't pay attention to Olympus, I was only thinking of their M4/3 system.

Sorry Art.
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter

What is this?

Olympus | E-3 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 262010 | B&H

E-3
02-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My wife shoots with an e-620 and with that 50mm f/2 macro that camera is amazing. That combination has been our money maker.