Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
One additional point is that the "Alpha" was a name created by Minolta just prior to the Konica Minolta decision to stop camera production.
I'm pretty sure the Konica Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7D and 5D were called Alpha 7D and 5D in Japan.

02-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
let's hope this doesn't mean they'll become like Canon and Nikon- Cheap materials and high prices.
02-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Maybe if we grow to the size of Japan here, a Pentax camera will find its way onto a retail shelf somewhere nearby. We are just a small Metroplex of about 8 million people, apparently way to small for Pentax Marketing to have any interest. A plan like this has got to bring them huge success......? Right?
Regards!

I'm living in a densely populated part of southern california and there isn't an actual camera store within 30 miles of me that sells Pentax.

02-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Just curious if anyone has come across figures for EMEA, US or ROW?

02-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I think the point everyone has been trying to get through to the FF-crowd is that, even though some will buy it, not enough will, thus making it a bad thing for business.
My point is that it would have made no sense for Pentax to make full frame when they have about 2.5 percent of the SLR market. If they can build a base of entry to semi pro users, then it makes sense to look at a higher level. If Pentax had released a full frame 5 years ago, Sony would be making their SLRs with a K Mount now.
02-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #51
Veteran Member

A line up in the near future is imo:

- entry/mid (EVILs and low spec aps-c

- entusiast/current K-7 level (Basic FF OR a really blinged aps-c, I talk 7D spec on all crucial spec table areas as really fast fps, really fast AF, etc.)

- and finally a high spec FF.

Imo, Pentax needs to come up with a really upmarket aps-c (from K-7) or a FF with more "pentax-like" specification/speed to not be trapped in entry segment compared to competition.

Of the two, I rank FF as most expected. Soon FF is not a format for a few and will soon be a big market share contributor.
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #52
Forum Member

with ff price dropping the market will gradually shift towards ff.

02-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Google Translate
No matter how you look at it Sony will probably be the most annoyed......
2.7 % share of market with K7, and 7.9 % share with Kx. For sure is good being around the 10 %.

With the K10 and K100, Pentax were hitting 10 % world wide. Good seeing them up again.

Looking forward to what new lenses will come out.
As always, hoping they ram this into series production :
K 20/1.4 AL

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
Very good to hear the good numbers for Pentax.

Sony . . . it seems to me they're trying to be all things to all people--photographers, anyway. How many models do they have now? Even DPR notes the minor features that differentiate the various Sony DSLRs from model to model. C and N can pull that off, given their market share, but not Sony.

It'll be interesting to see what Pentax adds to the current lineup. But they're playing it smart, it seems to me, with the K-x and the K-7.

And lenses . . . well, that was one of the reasons I just got a K-7. Lots of great glass to choose from!

Thom Hogan is no big fortune teller, (haven’t meet many that could), but on current state of affairs; he is more on home ground. He had some thoughts on Sony in this thread :
Re: Sony strategy starts to become clear?: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
with ff price dropping the market will gradually shift towards ff.
Don't know, I wouldn't bet on it. My hunch is that lenses are actually the cashcows for companies like Pentax - you want your purchasers to buy the dslr at 500 in order to make sure they buy lenses worth 2500 over the next 3 years. Most recent purchasers of Pentax are aps-c dslr users and they've bought aps-c dslr lenses (ie not FF). So for them, they'd have to replace camera AND lenses which is a hefty investment. How many would be willing, what are the projections.

The people whom FF works great is people with lots of old 35mm FF lenses. The question is if you develop a FF digital body for them would they buy it (at say 2k with maybe 500 profit?) but also be a guarantee of further lens investment, or would they use the old lenses? Ie are they likely to be a good revenue source for Pentax. OR, as a company, are you going to make more profit by releasing a 645D, which by all accounts is nearly developed, at say 10k, with 2k? profit. Personally I'm thinking the latter.
02-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #55
Inactive Account

I'm actually a bit surprised at the direction Sony's taken with their cameras. I thought they'd be far, far crappier. That's just a bit of the Sony Tax.

Are they still sticking MS slots in them?
02-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Using me as an example

Using me as an example:

I bought a half dozen brand new eos lenses to use with my old 5D full frames

I bought 2 brand new nikon lenses when I bought my D700 full frame

I still own 5 full frame pentax lenses, but I am not sure I'd buy any new pentax full frame lenses due to my needs now being met elsewhere.

Pentax was my first dslr but as they continue hessitate to offer full frame solution while they instead hessitate to launch 645D or not or ect..., people cash out and move on to other brands. Once you've gone to the darkside and cashed out of your full frame pentax treasures I bet those ex pentaxians are gone for good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Don't know, I wouldn't bet on it. My hunch is that lenses are actually the cashcows for companies like Pentax - you want your purchasers to buy the dslr at 500 in order to make sure they buy lenses worth 2500 over the next 3 years. Most recent purchasers of Pentax are aps-c dslr users and they've bought aps-c dslr lenses (ie not FF). So for them, they'd have to replace camera AND lenses which is a hefty investment. How many would be willing, what are the projections.

The people whom FF works great is people with lots of old 35mm FF lenses. The question is if you develop a FF digital body for them would they buy it (at say 2k with maybe 500 profit?) but also be a guarantee of further lens investment, or would they use the old lenses? Ie are they likely to be a good revenue source for Pentax. OR, as a company, are you going to make more profit by releasing a 645D, which by all accounts is nearly developed, at say 10k, with 2k? profit. Personally I'm thinking the latter.
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
. . . Once you've gone to the darkside and cashed out of your full frame pentax treasures I bet those ex pentaxians are gone for good.
When cashing out, to whom do the journeyers of darkness sell their lenses, and will those buyers purchase a FF Pentax DSLR?
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #58
Inactive Account

No, he thinks you'll sell them to guys like him, to mutilate into F- and EOS-mount lenses.
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The most interesting thing to me is that the K7 is at 2 percent of sales in Japan -- that is amazingly high for a high end Pentax camera. Definitely seems to me that the Kx is feeding K7 sales. Perhaps as over all sales go up, Pentax will consider higher end (full frame), but they definitely have gone about it in the right fashion. Start with full frame, without an adaquate base and they would sink like a stone.
The K7 is almost certainly benefiting from the success of the K-x, much the way Apple computers benefited from the iPod and the iPhone. Once users become familiar with a lesser known brand, they are more willing to consider its whole array of product offerings. Of course, it helps that the K7 is a very attractive upgrade from the K-x at a very reasonable price.

Rob
02-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Just to throw in my oar again, because it's Monday evening and I feel like it

Seems to me that recent strategy coming out of Pentax has been very much one of profit before quantity. ie cutting out the middleman, hiking lens prices up. Less sales, Less point & shoots (they're just commodities, no GP), but more profit with more emphasis on DSLRs (more GP). Which is eminently sensible in a recession. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

I don't think going FF as well as APS-C fits with that strategy as well as just 645d does. 645d has the best GP of all the camera ranges, and it screams quality. It's pro kit and should answer those calls for pixels. And, with less units sold overall, a smaller company with a smaller workforce should be able to do a better job of QA, something Pentax seems to have had some issues with. Also less research costs with just 2 lines rather than 3.

Imo it's a good thing actually, because it means them looking at doing fewer, but doing them very well. And more quality, even quality lenses which everyone wants. One thing it won't be is cheap though, which hurts my wallet but heyho at least pentax survives.