Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The K-7 doesn't need to be Ti, just need a magnesium alloy back to make it completed. It is a halfhearted product in its current form. But then Pentax never made a wholehearted K body b4.
Magnesium alloy are not usually the kind of alloy that can stay unprotected (neither is alumium) especiall with the acidity of sweat from hand palms. Paint does have a function in this case.

02-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Magnesium alloy are not usually the kind of alloy that can stay unprotected (neither is alumium) especiall with the acidity of sweat from hand palms. Paint does have a function in this case.
If that were true, then any highend DSLRs having magnesium alloy bodies must be a mistake, including the K-7.
02-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

If that were true, then any highend DSLRs having magnesium alloy bodies must be a mistake, including the K-7.
Magnesium and alumium have been used for year in corrosive environment (salted water for example), they just need a surface treatment that will shift their apparence (and color)

Have you ever seen a magnesium camera released with no paint ? Magnesium have advantages in ligthness, mecanical stiffness and shock resistance, but resistance to corrosion is not one of them (by far), hence coatings like paint or anodisation to protect the alloy.
02-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Magnesium and alumium have been used for year in corrosive environment (salted water for example), they just need a surface treatment that will shift their apparence (and color)

Have you ever seen a magnesium camera released with no paint ? Magnesium have advantages in ligthness, mecanical stiffness and shock resistance, but resistance to corrosion is not one of them (by far), hence coatings like paint or anodisation to protect the alloy.
I guess there was a misunderstaning. I have never thought to have a bare metal magnesium alloy camera. I just felt that the K-7 should have a alloy back instead of plastic.

02-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #20

You got it! I found two pictures on China's forum. There might be K7 Limited Silver(or Titanium?). Only 1000 pieces.

Enjoy it.

Resource:就这2天,有新的好东西发布,大家敬请期待~ - 无忌论坛
Attached Images

02-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OMFG I want this!!!
02-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Official:
http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/digital/slr/k-7/limited/

Sexy looking bit of kit.

02-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

nice.... but how much?
02-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
nice.... but how much?
Limited run of 1,000 units? Price = more than you'd want to spend on a camera to actually use!

Know anyone in Japan?
02-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Okay, it has been said in the past when they released the silver MZ-5. The silver paint job does not match the silver Limited lens colour. Is it too much to ask?
02-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #26
Forum Member

Okay, it has been said in the past when they released the silver MZ-5. The silver paint job does not match the silver Limited lens colour. Is it too much to ask?
Erm, they say it's indentical in colour and to my eyes it does match.
02-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

No it doesn't. Silver Limited finish is a little yellow while all silver Pentax bodies are really bright silver finish, almost too bright.
03-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #28
Forum Member

That silver edition is beautiful, it shouldnt have been a limited edition. Also I seems Pentax is bundling a new foucs screen with it which will be good for macro work .
03-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

It may be a trial balloon

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaitanya Quote
That silver edition is beautiful, it shouldnt have been a limited edition. Also I seems Pentax is bundling a new foucs screen with it which will be good for macro work .
This is just speculation on my part, but I think that the silver K-7 may be a trial balloon for future cameras. The K-m/K-2000 had a limited edition of the storm-trooper white cameras at the end of the production run. Then, when the K-x was introduced, voila! Not only white, but red and blue, as well, in addition to black. Perhaps Pentax is doing something similar with the K-7.

The K-7 is probably nearing the end of its production run. I'm no expert in the process of manufacturing cameras. I do know that it isn't as simple as some people think. The logistics of having suppliers provide all the tiny parts necessary can be a daunting task and can involve expensive setup costs to have suppliers change something simple, like the color of a plastic part. That may be why they waited until the end of the run. I wonder if the silver K-7's may not be the last ones off the line. It would simplify the assembly process; the line workers would only have one set of parts to contend with, rather than black and silver.

The white K-m/K-2000 seemed to generate a lot of buzz. It seems that the silver K-7 is doing the same. In an interview at the recent PMA, Ned Bunnell stated that the red and white K-x's were selling even better than they had imagined/hoped they would. This may have been another factoid in the decision to offer the limited edition silver K-7.
03-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #30

They have the silver K-7 on display in shinjuku. No price on it though...