Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rebate Update

For those of you who have not gotten your rebate or have been turned down for one reason or another; call them. I was initially turned down - they said that my UPC code was invalid or missing. You do have to go through the droid thing that answers the phone which is happy to tell you that you have been turned down. Say the words "agent Q" and you will get a real person. I got the name of the person I spoke to and told her there was nothing wrong with my submission. She said she would look at it and it should be approved. Well, they approved it and it took another month but my rebate came today. Yippee.
I also keep copies of everything just in case but didn't have to use them.
Hope this helps someone else who has been turned down.
Susan

02-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well done
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's encouraging... I sent in my rebate application right away when I got the camera in early December, got an email stating it was received on January 7th, and one month later, it still says "Received, Submission is being processed" on the site.

I despise mail-in rebates. Worst kind of promotion. Gives the manufacturer all kinds of opportunities to screw the consumer. I've been burned by mail-in rebates more times than I can count. I NEVER base a purchase decision on the value of a mail-in rebate anymore.

But I still want my $100...

edit: What a truly bizarre coincidence. I just got an email stating my rebate was approved and I'd receive it within 15 days. Didn't even call to ask about it or anything. Sweet karma!

Last edited by GoremanX; 02-08-2010 at 01:28 PM.
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I despise mail-in rebates. Worst kind of promotion. Gives the manufacturer all kinds of opportunities to screw the consumer.
Generally, they seem to be outsourced to rebate-processing companies, and it must be set up so that they have a financial incentive (maybe maliciously, maybe "just" laziness and increased speed of processing) to reject people.

02-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

According to several credible (meaning anonymous via the Internet) sources, some processing jobs are paid at a set rate. The processor bids to handle them for a fixed price. If the return rate is higher than predicted, they lose.

Perhaps Pentax does not want a firm to approve rebates without every molecule aligning properly. One incentive is to limit the payout - the processor has to eat some or all of the cost of "excess" approved rebates.

There is more to this rebate thing than meets the eye. It's pretty clear that some programs generate a lot of complaints and others work very well for consumers. There's a difference hiding behind the curtain.

Perhaps someone here is privy to the contractual language found in the industry ??
02-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Forum Member

I also hate these rebate promotions. Fortunately, all of my recent Pentax rebates came in last week (over $560 worth). They even accepted the rebate on a lens I bought on ebay using the invoice from ebay as my sales invoice - I thought they would deny that one for sure.
02-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
According to several credible (meaning anonymous via the Internet) sources, some processing jobs are paid at a set rate. The processor bids to handle them for a fixed price. If the return rate is higher than predicted, they lose.

Perhaps Pentax does not want a firm to approve rebates without every molecule aligning properly. One incentive is to limit the payout - the processor has to eat some or all of the cost of "excess" approved rebates.

There is more to this rebate thing than meets the eye. It's pretty clear that some programs generate a lot of complaints and others work very well for consumers. There's a difference hiding behind the curtain.

Perhaps someone here is privy to the contractual language found in the industry ??
There are not so many mail-in rebates offered in the industry as there were a few years ago. There are a number of reasons for that, and not least of which was Best Buy's insistance that manufacturers not rely on mail-in rebates in their promotions, and amongst those reasons was the amount of time they spent doing the rebate fulfillment house's job. A couple of years ago one GIANT, market share dominating camera company had a horrible experience with a rebate fulfillment house that took the upfront funds and promptly spent their way into bankruptcy leaving this camera company to pay twice for the rebate claims.

Now most rebates are of the instant type where the retailer takes the rebate amount off at the time of purchase and then files a claim at the end of the rebate period. It is very convenient for the customer, but I don't think I can state emphatically enough how damaging that is to a retailer's cash flow. Imagine all those $100-$500 instant rebates offered by Canon, Nikon, Sony et al. It's a tremendous load of cash to front for these manufacturers and they don't even reimburse the full rebate amount. Pentax does a mix of instant and mail in rebates. They try to lighten the cash flow burden for the retailer, but they also try to minimize the headaches associated with mail-in rebates.

If we American consumers were as sensitive to the value of things versus the cost of things, then maybe we wouldn't all find ourselves getting frustrated when rebates don't go smoothly. We could just decide for ourselves that something is a good deal or not, and these artificial incentives just wouldn't be necessary. However things are as they are, and as someone who has seen a zillion rebate offers in the past and the rejections that have come up, I have to say that Pentax has been the best about fulfilling their obligations. They may not have the biggest selection of lenses, nor the sexiest folks pitching their products, but I do promise that Pentax is not out to screw anybody.
02-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #8

Well I purchased my K7 and two qualifying lens on 1/31/10. Submitted my rebate claim on 2/5/10 that included the rebate form that stated the offer was valid until 2/15/10. I received an email today that the rebate was denied because I didn't make the purchase within the required time frame. Oddly, even though the rebate was good until 2/15/10 the email stated that the offer was good until 1/15/10.

What a scam... Now I have to hassle to get the $200 I'm entitled to.

The email stated that the following:

Search Results:
Promotion: $100 Visa Prepaid Card Focus on Savings Offer (11/15/09-01/15/10) H033977
Claim ID:
Customer Name:
Address:
Product Name: K-7 Body Kit
Claim Status: Received, Submission is being processed
Current Claim Errors:
ID Purchase date on sales receipt does not fall within program dates.
Explanation: A letter will be sent to you that explains your claim was invalid for the reasons stated.
Please follow the directions on the letter to receive your rebate.
Submission Origin: Standard Submission

02-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
What a scam... Now I have to hassle to get the $200 I'm entitled to.
I should point out that I initially received a message stating my claim was denied because I didn't include both UPC codes (which is wrong, I did). That status was eventually fixed all on its own within a couple days, I didn't have a chance to call them or anything.

In your case, I'd definitely call and complain, I vaguely recall that the offer was extended to February 15th for the purchase time frame. But don't jump to conclusions just yet.
02-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the encouragement GoremanX.

I'm sure it will work out but the hassle still diminishes the enjoyment of the purchase.

Here's a link to the Pentax rebate form I submitted that shows the rebate is valid until 2/15/10.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/pdf/K-7_LensesRebate.pdf

Why they're having a problem is beyond me.

Last edited by seachunk2; 02-17-2010 at 05:31 PM.
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Why they're having a problem is beyond me.
I think it's because the initial cutoff date was January 15th, so someone didn't get the memo over at the rebate processing center. You'd think the date clearly marked on the form would be a good hint, but we can't all assume everyone has that much intelligence
02-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What's the number to call them? I think I called the one on the website and it was only automated. Maybe because I called on a weekend?
02-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #13

Best bet call Pentax directly in Colorado. Talk to Customer Service Rep Monique.

PENTAX Customer Care
Toll Free: (800) 877-0155
Phone: (303) 799-8000
02-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

There are a couple other threads about the UPC rebate issue, and most stories have the same ending. Initial rejection, whether followed up with a phone call or not, gets fixed in the end.

The rebate clearing house handling this isn't doing a perfect job, but they're also being entirely reasonable by most people's standards. When they were "fixing" my problem, I got the impression that they were dealing with bad information from Pentax. If the manufacturer isn't communicating the proper program dates or UPC requirements to the clearing house, it's pretty hard for them to do their job.

And--I don't know why I'm compelled to be pedantic about this one thing--it's "agent queue", not "Agent Q".