Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Got to say the Canon Eos 550 really is a very tempting unit.

The only disadvantages of it I can see against the K7 is the build quality, no top lcd and lack of weather sealing.

It's really hard to not consider this camera......the features it offers is pretty damned impressive.

02-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Another thing about T2i

Another thing about T2i is you can adapt Pentax K Mount lenses to it without having to remove Pentax aperture lever and shield. Pentax lenses with aperture selector ring would be best as you can control aperture. So one could see how Pentax lenses hold up image quality wise on HD 1080. You can do this adaption because aps-c mirror in canon is small and allows for pentax aperture lever to safely coexist next to canon's mirror housing.

I'm thinking about T2i, but then again I think about far more than I actually buy.

Considering purchases is fun, and free.

I was pretty much done buying any more aps-c cameras from anyone, but T2i is pretty darn affordable. Tiny viewfinder is a turn off, whereas Live View with the insane screen makes up for the tunnel vision viewfinder I assume.

I'll certainly play with one when its available locally,
at all camera shops and tethered at Best Buy, COSTCO, SAMS CLUB, ect...
02-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #93
Banned

I have the K-7 and I won't buy another DSLR unless it has an EVF, full frame and full manual video with 1080p 60.
02-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Got to say the Canon Eos 550 really is a very tempting unit.

The only disadvantages of it I can see against the K7 is the build quality, no top lcd and lack of weather sealing.
Ahem... smaller & dimmer viewfinder, only one e-dial, only 9 AF points (and only the center one is cross-type, although it is f/2.8), no wireless flash control, no SR, and 1/4000s minimum shutter speed.

I'm not saying it's a bad camera, but it's not in the same class as the K-7.

02-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely hard to make the comparison between the K7 and the 550. While some of the specs may be similar, they are very different cameras over all. I know higher end Canons have faster auto focus speed, but at this level, it won't be present. It is like when people compare the Kx to a Nikon D90.

The difference in price between the K7 and the T2i will actually be fairly small -- K7 is now below 1000 dollars (body only), whereas looks like the T2i will launch at 800 dollars (body only). You get an awful lot for that two hundred dollars.
02-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
So one could see how Pentax lenses hold up image quality wise on HD 1080.
What in the world are you talking about? (EDIT: Still images on a K20D are "3104p")

Last edited by asdf; 02-11-2010 at 08:06 AM.
02-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd rather have very good high ISO performance, better DR and tweakable HDR. Maybe even a selectable ISO for specific portions of the sensor (imagine ISO 100 for skies and ISO 400 for the landscape all within a photo) if its even possible.
That's the thing, though. 18mp isn't preventing that at all. The Canon 7D sensor has the very best high ISO performance seen in an APS-C sensor to date, and while good DR measurements are hard to get ahold of dXomark rates it as the best Canon APS-C sensor for DR so far as well. It's not a case of either/or.

As far as HDR options, a good bracketing function is always the best solution, and variable ISO... I don't think we'll see that anytime terribly soon. Just sayin'.
02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #98

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have the K-7 and I won't buy another DSLR unless it has an EVF, full frame and full manual video with 1080p 60.

I hate to say it, but you might be waiting a while for that one...

02-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I hate to say it, but you might be waiting a while for that one...
Hopefully forever if it's going to take an EVF to budge his wallet.
02-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Thanks for the explanation

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
There is no official information being published.

The following is some insider statement from some forum:

The problem is this:

The original RAW file contains monochrome pixels according to the Bayer pattern. They cannot simply be resampled to a smaller size (as it would be a gray image).

Therefore, there a two RAW formats which may contain a resampled image:

1. Linear DNG: the Bayer pattern is demosaiced and the resulting color values are losslessly compressed and stored in full bit depth.

The size of 1/4 #pixels Linear DNG roughly is 3/4 of the original RAW.

2. sRaw (1/4 #pixels) and mRaw (1/2 #pixels).

The size of sRaw is about 1/2 of the original RAW (and mRaw about 3/4). This slightly better compression capability comes at the prize of a remaining 2 color checkboard demosaicing (cf. quote above) which only Canon software (if at all) may be able to do properly. sRaw can lead to 1/4 size images which aren't as sharp as full size demosaiced images, then downsampled.

Personally, I couldn't care less about sRaw (being dead end special solutions) and look forward to downsampled (linear) DNG from cameras sporting 30 MPixels and more.

Another solution for lossy compression at higher bitdepths will be the forthcoming "JPEG XR" file format which will make the RAW file format redundant for many applications which now need RAW, like using fill color in post processing.
Either one of the solutions presented look interesting (I hadn't heard about JPG XR), but the DNG in particular looks like my cup of tea. If linear down conversion is applicable in the future, coupled with camera and lens correction (if camera manufacturers include this info in the recorded image) profiles, DNG format looks very strong.

Either way, hopefully we will have more options available to us for better quality data retention in a reduced file size. And back to the original thread - another reason to up the ante in terms of tools offered to potential buyers.
02-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #101
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hopefully forever if it's going to take an EVF to budge his wallet.
Right, Epson is making an EVF that no future DSLR (EVIL) will use. Do you want to make a bet that someone comes out with a DSLR (EVIL) with this EVF at Photokina this year.
QuoteQuote:
The new panels are targeted at camera manufacturers for use as electronic viewfinders in mid- to high-end digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameras.
Epson starts mass production of high-end EVF panels: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by jogiba; 02-14-2010 at 08:16 AM.
02-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #102
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
IMHO, there really is a photographer ante and a newbie/consumer ante here.

The latter would want to see increased numbers on all specs (higher ISO numbers, higher megapix, high fps, higher res video, etc)
They know little about the trade-offs (ie. Large file sizes; higher ISO noise; faster PC needed; horrendous editing man hours to make good quality video, etc). The best camera to buy is the camera with all the highest values.
The 550D generally goes in that direction. The danger is that it wins out this market segment and/or edges other camera makers in this direction at the expense of photographers who understand the trade-offs.
Since I started this thread, I want it to be clear.... I am not in the "Newbie/Consumer" category. I've been a professional shooter (Video) for over 26 years. I also have thousands of hours editing experience, and am fully aware of the tradeoffs. Ultimately, I'm a cheap-skate, and enjoy it when companies compete in feature/cost wars. Biggest bang for the buck so to speak.

We are in an age where the difference in consumer and professional equipment is becoming an exercise in semantics. When I first started, my colleagues and I dreamed of equipment like this. My only wish is that companies like Canon, Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Pentax, Nikon, and etc... would stop purposely hobbling their products. Canon and Sony are the worst about this.

Red costs a lot, and you do get much more for your money than indicated here. The new sensors they are using are phenomenal but with an equally phenomenal price. 4K resolution, Raw recording, high dynamic range, high frame rates, the list goes on.

For my experimental shorts, home video's, and random broadcast situations, this is serious overkill. That's why I'd like something like the K-x with manual controls. The sensor is similar in size to the Red, and it allows for more artful composition as compared to generic video cameras. Anyone look at the cost of a 2/3" pro camera lately? 2/3" B-4 mount lenses for HD aren't cheap either. I could buy 10 K-x's and multiple lenses just for the price of a single high quality lens. Even at the lower end, the HVX, HD300, etc, don't offer the same flexibility of these DSLR's

Another thing is that I'm tired of Canon getting all the press. I've always liked Pentax, and as I've mentioned before, I have some lenses lying around from my photography days. That and the fact that there is a lot of inexpensive glass out there for Pentax, makes this an especially sweet option.

I understand that many professional still shooters could care less about video features on DSLR's... Fine... But some of us professional videographers have been hungry for this crossover for many years.
02-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #103
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I also hear a lot about FF vs. APS-C. Okay, FF is my preference for stills, but in regards to video, it's not necessary. In fact, APS-C is almost identical in frame size to Super 35mm motion picturre film.
02-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #104
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RJRock Quote
I also hear a lot about FF vs. APS-C. Okay, FF is my preference for stills, but in regards to video, it's not necessary. In fact, APS-C is almost identical in frame size to Super 35mm motion picturre film.
A 20mm F1.8 works like a 20mm lens on a FF DSLR but on an APS-C it's like a 30mm, a huge difference.
02-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #105
Site Supporter

A 20mm F1.8 works like a 20mm lens on a FF DSLR but on an APS-C it's like a 30mm, a huge difference.
No, it works like a 20mm thats been cropped a bit.