Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Returns to Arlington Camera

Arlington Camera located just down the street from Cowboy Stadium is now stocking Pentax cameras again. They had both the K7 and K-x in stock.

VR
Darryl

02-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #2

ooo, do they have DA lenses also? 2 weeks ago I went down Irving avenuein Dallas asking every vendor I could find for a DA16-45mm and nobody carried Pentax, great news! Thanks
02-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They just had the kits for the K7 and K-x and one K7 camera body. Their lens had not arrived.

VR
Darryl
02-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats good news. I hope they carry lens also. I don't know of any where in the metroplex that has lens for Pentax. Fry's has pentax bodies and kit lens.

02-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They won't get my business (it's a long walk from here ;~) but I think this is good news. There have been suggestions that Pentax was gearing up to get back in the retail game and this may be be evidence of progress on that front.
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Arlington Camera located just down the street from Cowboy Stadium is now stocking Pentax cameras again. They had both the K7 and K-x in stock.

VR
Darryl
Well they made back to Texas eh? I hope they show up in a few store down here in Houston too. It's been pretty pathetic around here Pentax wise for some time now.

Houston Camera Exchange let me down. Just a few kit type lenses in stock the odd K100D.
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax reversed their bad decision of a few years ago, dropping dealers that didn't do 90,000 a year. Guess internet sales isn't every thing. It was a dumb move that caused a lot of ill will. Hopefully, the new policy fixes it. Will take time.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #29 in compact camera forum. Enter #30. Any brand camera. Enter now!

Remember to shoot your Pentax on Pentaxium/Pentax World Day Apr. 17.

04-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax reversed their bad decision of a few years ago, dropping dealers that didn't do 90,000 a year. Guess internet sales isn't every thing. It was a dumb move that caused a lot of ill will. Hopefully, the new policy fixes it. Will take time.
Ah, so that explains why shops always talk down Pentax. Yeah, that really was a dumb decision which had the effect of fostering the "Pentax is dying" and "Pros don't do Pentax" memes and effectively creating a hostile environment for Pentaxians.
04-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Ah, so that explains why shops always talk down Pentax. Yeah, that really was a dumb decision which had the effect of fostering the "Pentax is dying" and "Pros don't do Pentax" memes and effectively creating a hostile environment for Pentaxians.
There were lots of factors contributing to the "culture of death" mentality amongst retailers, and unfortunately a poor information flow exacerbated the problems. As a photo retailer that has continued to steadily support Pentax through their transitions over the last couple of decades, at times it has been very frustrating. It would have been very easy to just bail on the brand. However as Pentax starts their third fiscal year under Hoya, more and more retailers are becoming willing to accept Pentax back in to their inventory mix. Partly this is the answer to the question of "How long must a company remain in business before people believe they are not going out of business". The other part of that is Pentax continues to make improvements that will facilitate a greater willingness to support their brand.

It can be very difficult to reverse such a culture. Retailers have notoriously long memories of adverse affects on their business, and it can be tough for the logic of good business decisions to replace that bad culture. However there is definitely a trend amongst retailers to accept Pentax, and there is definitely a trend from Pentax towards improved information exchange. The durability of these trends will depend on both parties working hard to support one another in their efforts to meet and create demand and make mutually beneficial business decisions.
04-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
There were lots of factors contributing to the "culture of death" mentality amongst retailers, and unfortunately a poor information flow exacerbated the problems. As a photo retailer that has continued to steadily support Pentax through their transitions over the last couple of decades, at times it has been very frustrating. It would have been very easy to just bail on the brand. However as Pentax starts their third fiscal year under Hoya, more and more retailers are becoming willing to accept Pentax back in to their inventory mix. Partly this is the answer to the question of "How long must a company remain in business before people believe they are not going out of business". The other part of that is Pentax continues to make improvements that will facilitate a greater willingness to support their brand.

It can be very difficult to reverse such a culture. Retailers have notoriously long memories of adverse affects on their business, and it can be tough for the logic of good business decisions to replace that bad culture. However there is definitely a trend amongst retailers to accept Pentax, and there is definitely a trend from Pentax towards improved information exchange. The durability of these trends will depend on both parties working hard to support one another in their efforts to meet and create demand and make mutually beneficial business decisions.
I sure hope the shops in my neck of the woods get on board. I like having B&M shops to turn to and (after losing a great fly-fishing shop to the internet) went out of my way to try to buy photography gear locally only to find Pentax shut out.
04-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I sure hope the shops in my neck of the woods get on board. I like having B&M shops to turn to and (after losing a great fly-fishing shop to the internet) went out of my way to try to buy photography gear locally only to find Pentax shut out.
If I am not mistaken, a shop in your "neck of the woods" would be Penn Camera. They are a great camera shop with folks who can and will speak intelligently to Professionals and first time camera owners alike. I have had the occasion to speak with their staff on a few occasions and have been very impressed. They did drop Pentax from their inventory last year, something quite a few retailers did, and as far as I know have not brought Pentax back.

The folks at Penn are pretty smart. If they recognize significant demand they will stock a brand. Additionally they are going to see this summer, I hope, renewed efforts from a much smarter Pentax staff to bring more retailers back. However nothing speaks louder to a retailer than a customer base who is asking for something that they don't have. If your local store is not carrying Pentax, stop in and ask them how long Pentax has to be in business before they accept that Pentax is not going out of business. Pentax started year three under Hoya and the signs are they are getting stronger.

BTW my name is also Dave...
04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You nailed it: Penn. I still go there (and Service Photo) for accessories but have had to go online for the big ticket items.

Last edited by dadipentak; 04-13-2010 at 02:41 PM.