Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #376
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,216
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
About 1.4X crop based on surface area. Mmm
Crop 1.33x.

03-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #377
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If the 645D uses a comparable 38MP sensor to the Leica S2, I guess that also means (like the Leica) you will be getting huge 106MB JPEG's out of camera
There is no "if", and not "38MP" but 37.5MP (Leica) and 40.0MP (Pentax), both being Kodak's new true sense 6 m architecture.

The Leica S2 has no AA filter and some outstanding lenses making 100% crops looking sharp (at the expense of some moir) even without applying sharpening.

We don't know the properties of the 645D AA filter yet. Outstanding lenses for Pentax MF do exist.
03-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #378
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bors, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,165
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If the 645D uses a comparable 38MP sensor to the Leica S2, I guess that also means (like the Leica) you will be getting huge 106MB JPEG's out of camera, as Chris Weeks has found after using the S2. Yikes!
Wonder if mr Zack will post a "Pentax 645D and why I wouldn't get one" comment lamenting this.
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #379
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Expect to soon see 7304x5478 pixel images from a Pentax digital camera
Downsized to 600x400 JPEGs for web view

Given the 55mm diagonal of this Kodak sensor, it likely is the sensor seeing as the first (only?) D-FA645 lens that appeared on the old lens roadmap was a 55mm f/2.8.

...

03-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #380
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,245
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Wonder if mr Zack will post a "Pentax 645D and why I wouldn't get one" comment lamenting this.
Wait RH will kill it soon enough because it ain't written Canon on the prism.
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #381
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,245
Falk, what about the sensor used in Mamiya announces DM40 medium format camera: Digital Photography Review ?? Probably the same IMO although the number of pixels doesn't match.

Price against the Pentax should be interesting IMO. 20,000 US$ for the Mamiya. LOL ?
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #382
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Price against the Pentax should be interesting IMO. 20,000 US$ for the Mamiya. LOL ?
That's the price for the back only. If you want the rest of the camera and an 80mm f/2.8 lens you have to fork out US$22,000.

...
03-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #383
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,245
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
That's the price for the back only. If you want the rest of the camera and an 80mm f/2.8 lens you have to fork out US$22,000.

...
22,000$ on top of 20,000$ or a 'mere' 2000$ on top of 20,000??

03-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #384
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
here's an oldish review of the S2:
Leica S2 First Impressions
Check out the eyeball crop...lol. I haven't seen that amount of detail in a K20D photo yet, even running primes :-)
03-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #385
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
That's the price for the back only. If you want the rest of the camera and an 80mm f/2.8 lens you have to fork out US$22,000.

...
80 mm seems like a strange focal length, isn't that equivalent to about 60 mm on FF? E.g. neither normal nor portrait?

Edit: On the other hand, that's like the DA40 on APS-C, so...
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #386
Forum Member
climbertrev's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plymouth,United Kingdom
Posts: 63
OK Guys and Girls
Let's get real!!

We can go into spasms of delight - imagining how improved technology will enable us to take "better photographs"

OR

We can work creatively with we have
03-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #387
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Falk, what about the sensor used in Mamiya DM40?
Good question.
The Mamiya and KAF-4000 specs differ by about 5%. It could be the same sensor or not. There certainly isn't another Kodak sensor so close in specs.

So, it may well be that the sensor case isn't as closed as I thought it is


EDIT:

The Mamiya sensor seems to be the same sensor as in the Phase One P40+. With or without the Sensor+ patent hold by Phase One. This sensor is made by Dalsa, not Kodak. Mamiya is on Dalsa's customer list.

A similiar chip (36x48mm rather than 33x44mm and consequently 48MP rather than 40MP) is documented here:
http://www.dalsa.com/public/sensors/datasheets/FTF6080C_datasheet_20090420.pdf

There is a 40% chance the Pentax 645D is using this chip and a 60% chance Pentax is using the KAF-40000 (my gut feeling, taking into account that Pentax and Kodak have partnered in the past -- and that the 1.7x surface claim fits the Dalsa chip better). So, you may want to have a look at this chip as well. In the end, it doesn't matter that much at the current moment in time.

Last edited by falconeye; 03-08-2010 at 04:43 PM.
03-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #388
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,954
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Crop 1.33x.
645 film area is actually 41,5 x 56 so diagonal equals to 69.7 mm.

54.78 mm diagonal (see the document provided by Falconeye) would therefore correspond to a crop factor of 1,27 compared to 645 film.
03-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #389
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
Price

I'm feeling that a lot of people are setting up unrealistic expectations regarding the price of this camera. I know people did this before the release of both the K-20d and the K-7.

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed on the 11th.
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #390
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
All I hope is that it bankrupts Leica.

That would be awesome.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645d!!! insulinguy Pentax News and Rumors 1 10-12-2010 07:36 AM
645D now available in the UK robbiec Pentax News and Rumors 3 09-21-2010 03:01 AM
Using the 645D... HawaiianOnline Pentax Medium Format 13 03-23-2010 07:17 PM
645D or something else? GordonZA Pentax News and Rumors 7 03-09-2010 02:24 PM
Who would consider a 645D? Elton Pentax Medium Format 11 09-28-2007 07:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top