Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Kenn100D's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Paranaque City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 645
The question now which Sensor Manufacturer, Samsung , Kodak, Sony,?

02-10-2010, 01:50 AM   #32
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,113
sony never made MF sensors. samsung too.

kodak and dalsa makes.
02-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,213
I doubt it'll be in reach of amateurs - it's for pro studio, landscape & fashion people types. I should imagine, for example, that Benjikan would be a prime target.

It sounds like it's smaller and cheaper than Hassleblad which should make it a good thing.

I'll never be able to afford one unless I win the lottery but good to see a pro addition. Hopefully some of the technology will trickle down to the dslrs.

Last edited by Nass; 02-10-2010 at 02:26 AM.
02-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #34
New Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Auckland
Posts: 16
if the 645D will be on CP+, What will be shown on PMA this year from Pentax. should have something to catch the eye ball,right?

02-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #35
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,113
Maybe new lenses...
02-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #36
Forum Member
Rees's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cymru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
デジタル一眼レフカメラ:PENTAX 新製品予告サイト

Among all the rumors, at least this one is real
What is the count down bar for?
Not even a decent silhouette
02-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ume, Sweden
Posts: 755
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe new lenses...
There was an earlier press release that says Pentax will release the smc PENTAX-D FA645 55mm F2.8 together with the 645D, so that may very well still be true.
02-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,509
QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
There was an earlier press release that says Pentax will release the smc PENTAX-D FA645 55mm F2.8 together with the 645D, so that may very well still be true.
In the interview with someone from Pentax in Japan which was discussed here some weeks ago, it was stated that they will release "many" (or at least it meant "several") lenses with the 645D.

02-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #39
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 41
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I don't think the 645D will be relevent to more then 5 people on this forum.

Expect it to be somewhere between 9 and 12 grand, before you buy any lenses.

The people that have the cash, and the need to buy a camera like this are, right now this very minute, pricing out a Mamiya DM22 or a DM28. Some of them are looking at the predicted specs of the 645D, and are thinking, hmmm, maybe Pentax?

This beast from Pentax is not for the DSLR market. It is not for those clamering for the first Pentax EVIL, and it is not for those that want full frame.

The fact is, for 99% of us that use Pentax, the 645D might as well be made by Canikon. It is an entirely new system. None of our K mount lenses will work on it.

In the next year, I expect there to be eight 645D users on this forum. Three will be pros that can justify the expence, two will be amatures with the cash, and three will be gear collecting idiots that sold their car to buy the damn thing.

But if it comes in blue, then BOOO YAAA! I'll sell my car to buy one.
Depends if the R&D spent on the 645 trickles down (or is relevant) to APS-C cameras. If it is then we may get a leap in capability for the next generation of Pentax DSLR cameras which I'm sure we're all interested in.
02-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,113
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
In the interview with someone from Pentax in Japan which was discussed here some weeks ago, it was stated that they will release "many" (or at least it meant "several") lenses with the 645D.
3 lenses. I think. Ultra-wide, wide and standart.
02-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
This is the 4th version of the 645. There was the 645, then the 645N, and finally the 645II. How much was the 645 when it came out...probably the equiv of 10K and they still sold at the time. The 645II is listed on their site as still being $3,500 US (if I do the conversion right). Although you can find them for less, a 5D MII is still selling in the stores here for $3,899.98...so while I'd like to see a 645d for less, I don't think it make much sense to release a 60x45 MF camera at a 36x24 FF price (yes, the digital sensors are usually a bit smaller for each).

There are a boat load of 645s and 645 lenses (including advanced autofocus and star) out there. Ogl just provided a link to 2 pages worth of modern 645 lenses that are available....how many pages of FAs does Pentax sell...or DAs for that matter, a few more than that? It should tell you something.

I don't know if it will work out for Pentax....it's about 5 years too late, but I hope it does. Just like the film days, it is targeted to a different crowd of photographers.
02-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #42
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
This is the 4th version of the 645. There was the 645, then the 645N, and finally the 645II. How much was the 645 when it came out...probably the equiv of 10K and they still sold at the time. The 645II is listed on their site as still being $3,500 US (if I do the conversion right). Although you can find them for less, a 5D MII is still selling in the stores here for $3,899.98...so while I'd like to see a 645d for less, I don't think it make much sense to release a 60x45 MF camera at a 36x24 FF price (yes, the digital sensors are usually a bit smaller for each).

There are a boat load of 645s and 645 lenses (including advanced autofocus and star) out there. Ogl just provided a link to 2 pages worth of modern 645 lenses that are available....how many pages of FAs does Pentax sell...or DAs for that matter, a few more than that? It should tell you something.

I don't know if it will work out for Pentax....it's about 5 years too late, but I hope it does. Just like the film days, it is targeted to a different crowd of photographers.
1/ $3900 for a 5DMkII!? I can get one from a mainstream store for 2900... with the 24-105L (around 2000 in online stores body only)!

2/ Where are the boat loads of AF 645 lenses again? I fail to see them on eBay more than once or twice a year and the link given by ogl states than almost all of them are "out of stock"on the Pentax official site... so what does that tell us again?

3/ I agree on not seeing how Pentax would be able to offer a MF camera for the price of a FF one: isn't the most expensive part the sensor and, AFAIK, Pentax doesn't manufacture their sensors and hence have no choice than to buy from the same guys Hasselblad and Mamyia are buying. What would be their leverage to lower the price of their camera?

4/ Film 645 outfit was priced around the $2000 limit (close to $3000 for the AF version) and could be found for much lower prices on the used market. I don't remember ever seeing a film 645 camera costing between $6000 and $10000...

5/ Film MF has an advantage in IQ in all situations over 24x36 film: given the same film grain, using MF provided automatically less grain. This is not true with MF digital which is better in good light but falls apart in higher ISO. DMD cameras are much more specialized cameras than MF was in the film days and will only appeal to a very narrow range of photographers.
02-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #43
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
This is the 4th version of the 645. There was the 645, then the 645N, and finally the 645II. How much was the 645 when it came out...probably the equiv of 10K and they still sold at the time. The 645II is listed on their site as still being $3,500 US (if I do the conversion right). Although you can find them for less, a 5D MII is still selling in the stores here for $3,899.98...so while I'd like to see a 645d for less, I don't think it make much sense to release a 60x45 MF camera at a 36x24 FF price (yes, the digital sensors are usually a bit smaller for each).

There are a boat load of 645s and 645 lenses (including advanced autofocus and star) out there. Ogl just provided a link to 2 pages worth of modern 645 lenses that are available....how many pages of FAs does Pentax sell...or DAs for that matter, a few more than that? It should tell you something.

I don't know if it will work out for Pentax....it's about 5 years too late, but I hope it does. Just like the film days, it is targeted to a different crowd of photographers.
I think in fact that the timing is just right.

FF cameras are slowing coming out of the pro and rich amateur segment. Those populations will need a new toy to differenciate from the "crowd". I'm thinking here in particular of wedding photographers that was one of the traditional target for MF and who face the concurrence of "Uncle Joe" who is upgrading from his Canon 40D to a new, shinny 5DmkII. The equipment answer seems ridiculous when quality of pictures shall make the difference, but we're speaking of marketing here... On a more objective side, dynamic range and high flash sync is critical in this task. MF have a much higher DR at low iso and pixels coded with more bits (up to 16 pn the latest backs)

Hasselbald and Leaf are still very expensive for this kind pros who don't always have easy access to renting.

Given the fact that Pentax is still a MF recognized brand (speaking about people who do or used to do MF) entering the maket now (of D-MF) is a smart move imo.

Regards,
Guillaume
02-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I think in fact that the timing is just right.

FF cameras are slowing coming out of the pro and rich amateur segment. Those populations will need a new toy to differenciate from the "crowd". I'm thinking here in particular of wedding photographers that was one of the traditional target for MF and who face the concurrence of "Uncle Joe" who is upgrading from his Canon 40D to a new, shinny 5DmkII. The equipment answer seems ridiculous when quality of pictures shall make the difference, but we're speaking of marketing here... On a more objective side, dynamic range and high flash sync is critical in this task. MF have a much higher DR at low iso and pixels coded with more bits (up to 16 pn the latest backs)

Hasselbald and Leaf are still very expensive for this kind pros who don't always have easy access to renting.

Given the fact that Pentax is still a MF recognized brand (speaking about people who do or used to do MF) entering the maket now (of D-MF) is a smart move imo.

Regards,
Guillaume
A pro (especially in the wedding business) wants results.

His customers don't care what equipment he uses but they care about the quality of his work.

He needs reliability, responsiveness and IQ in all circumstances.

While film MF did get pro photog in these days a big increase in IQ in difficult conditions (smaller grain), you also have to remember that going MF was about the only way to get detailled and "grainless" A3s back in the days, especially above (God forbids) ISO 400.

Now, current digital cameras (not even speaking about FF here) offer detailled and smooth prints up to A2 even at ISO 800... what will the happy couple do with their 40MP images? A couple of 4x3m billboards to hang in their neighborood?

Digital MF is mostly used for pack shots / product shots, not even for landscape photography and much less for professional wedding/event or fashion (ask Benjamin K. if he is going to buy one of these and why...)

I don't think any professional would get caught in the "I need a bigger, more "professional looking" camera than uncle Bob" conundrum: they are too professional for that... especially at $8000 for a starter kit.

If, for some reasons, he needs such a camera, he'll probably want to rent one for the occasion.
02-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bor蚶, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,165
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
3 lenses. I think. Ultra-wide, wide and standart.
It would be rather silly not to release a portrait lens for a medium format digital.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645d!!! insulinguy Pentax News and Rumors 1 10-12-2010 07:36 AM
645D now available in the UK robbiec Pentax News and Rumors 3 09-21-2010 03:01 AM
Using the 645D... HawaiianOnline Pentax Medium Format 13 03-23-2010 07:17 PM
645D or something else? GordonZA Pentax News and Rumors 7 03-09-2010 02:24 PM
Who would consider a 645D? Elton Pentax Medium Format 11 09-28-2007 07:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top