Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #541
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I agree. This is exactly the camera Pentax could make with their existing strengths.... and it is the camera they finally did have the will to make.
Aye. It is, basically, an up-scaled K-7. Very smart, easy to make with a lot of existing technology. PRIME II, SD, 77-segment metering, SAFOX +, 3" 920K screen. So they're consolidating a lot costs and probably parts (wasn't the 645N made to share a lot of similarities with the MZ cameras?)

From the FM forums link I posted a while back, it seems like the 645D is a breath of fresh air in the MF world. If it were an APS-C or even full-frame digital, it would be a pretty boring camera. But in the MF world, where things were a bit more...static, it's very refreshing.

As I said on TOP, it's almost a medium format walkaround camera...

QuoteQuote:
Auto-focus worked just fine on the film 645 models, so I see no reason to expect any differently here.
No, I meant that if Pentax ever leads the AF stakes anywhere, it's a sure sign of the apocalypse...I've no doubt it'll be good, and it's probably better than the Hassy or Mamiya solutions.

03-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #542
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, I don't know actually.
Forced to think about it, my wild guess would be that it works a little different from a traditional roof pentaprism with 3 reflections. Looks like it has the same 3 reflections but no roof. I.e., the left/right flip would have to come from the optical system in the ocular and that the prism itself wouldn't actually invert the image orientation.

Also, unlike a pentaprism, the image seems to be focussed (more) before entering the prism, so that it gets smaller along its path and the prism surfaces can be made smaller for 2nd and 3rd reflection surfaces. And magnified by the optical system in the ocular upon exit of the prism.

I searched and found a patent from 1978 hold by "Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Kabushiki" (is this Pentax?) which describes the principle:
Patent US4171888
Seems like Pentax did their homework some 32 years ago
In that patent, judging from the lightpath lines, it doesn't show the image being inverted in the "Kepler telescope" eyepiece. Weird. Could the lens between the prism and the focusing screen do it? But thanks (am I ever going to doubt a German physicist? Really?)

Wonder why Pentax didn't use this earlier? Too complex to make? Then again, it's Pentax. I'm sure they've got a fully working patent for time travel they just haven't bothered using yet.

And, yes, apparently Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Kabushiki is indeed Pentax. Also, as an aside, according to this site, Pentax also owns the name Jupiter - in regards to lenses (scroll down to the "Please Note!" below the PayPal seal.)

(Sorry about the dearth of my posts in this thread. I took some Sudafed for a blocked nose, and I'm kinda running at Mach 10.)
03-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #543
Inactive Account

I wonder...

What will VF be like in comparison with K-7, FF cameras? Significantly bigger, brighter? Any ideas?
03-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #544
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, fearview. You're right. But, jeez, I really hope he gets shut down, if only for karmic reasons.

well, i actually think he should start to become more responsible, he have such big name in internet.. it should came along also with big responsibility.

is that true he backed by Nikon? i ask cos i dont know that fact, and i dont want to check either to his website for now.

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Why anybody are carring of what he says ? Looking at his gallery brings out the ugly thruth : he's not a good protographer.

The only 2 blogs / website I respect on hardware matters are The Online Photographer and The Luminous Landscape. They are made by real pros who make a living of their photographic activity, and they are absolutly not brand biased (or state it when they have some specific attachment)
i always checked into two website if we talking about new Pentax gears.. its dpr and ken web..just want to know how the mainstream think about it.. sometime my rensponse will be.. well ok.. or no we are not like that.. this time .. Whattt..??

Say it in Indonesian, then! Susilo's down here at the moment, I'll get him to translate . You're right, though.

Fred Miranda Forumites seem to like, though.

Unlike Kenny boy, they like how it's the only MF camera with multi-AF, doesn't require a separate back to purchase, is more portable than your average MF cam, and has a higher-res LCD than any other DMF. And it's probably cheaper than a D3X.
oke ill try..

dia keterlaluan dan kurang berpikir terbuka

ahahaha

ill check the link..

Last edited by fearview; 03-10-2010 at 05:55 AM.
03-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #546
Veteran Member

Open Letter To Ken Rockwell
03-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #547
Veteran Member

In that patent, judging from the lightpath lines, it doesn't show the image being inverted in the "Kepler telescope" eyepiece. Weird. Could the lens between the prism and the focusing screen do it? But thanks (am I ever going to doubt a German physicist? Really?)
I said doing wild guesses. So, please don't hesitate to doubt

You're right. But the image on the focus screen will definitely bee left-right inverted. That must somewhere be inverted back. Without the roof, where else? It could come out point-inverted out of the prism, but the patent doesn't show this either (lines don't cross). Therefore, the condenser in front of the prism probably doesn't do this. Although, it probably could ...

Last edited by falconeye; 03-10-2010 at 06:27 AM.
03-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #548
Veteran Member

I mean, it's still 40 AF points behind the D3, and 34 behind the Canon 1D Mk IV. If it really means that much to people.
Yeah, my 5 year old 1Ds II has FOUR TIMES the AF points of this thing, gawd.

Seriously, kudos to Pentax for releasing this under $10k -- I really didn't think they would. Looks like a great rig, and hopefully will prompt the competition to push a little harder. I'd love to see the lower end MF rigs get closer to $5k in the future...

Also, Ken Rockwell is a terrible photographer, terrible reviewer, and possibly brilliant self-marketer. The more people rant about him the more hits his site gets. Lithos, you probably paid for his dinner alone with that post.

03-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #549
Inactive Account

Very nice!
03-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #550
Pentaxian

thank you. my english capabilty prevent me to do such thing.

03-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #551

Photos: Albums
Everyone who knows the first thing about cameras knows that Rockwell is an idiot and a shill for Nikon. He puts down just about everything else, unless he's paid not too.

On his front page he is complaining that the California legislature is putting a bill through to make websites who sell stuff pay sales taxes (OMG NO!). He states that if this goes through he would have to shut down his site.

Let us all hope for a speedy passing of this bill into law
03-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #552
Veteran Member

1. Please, get the part about crop factors right. Ken did make no mistake in computing 55/43=1.27 as the rations of diagonals of 645D vs 35mm. Also, crop factors are >1 by definition as being relative to a mount's full image diagonal (i.e., not 0.8). If you must compare to 35mm, call it conversion factor instead.

2. How exactly will you send the letter to him? Publishing a blog article certainly isn't a letter by itself.
03-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #553
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyway, another thought: as much as I want a FF camera, this might be a wiser move. It's giving Pentax a chance to leapfrog certain key areas of the pro market - portraits, fashion, fine art and perhaps wedding photography - and establish itself more firmly in the professional world. MF cameras were Pentax's main foothold in the pro sector.

It's probably for the best that it's Japan-only for now - Japan's a vastly different market to the rest of the world, and often had access to stuff long after it was discontinued everywhere - as I think Pentax needs to up it's support in the rest of the world. I hope Hoya consolidates the disparate distributors around the world, equalising the service. It should be no harder to get something done to your Pentax in Poland than in the US. The 645D service should allow Pentax to ease into the pro service market globally, and then, hope against hope, give us a 35mm FF camera, with a good worldwide network to back it up.
I definitely agree with you. Pentax needs to reestablish it's image in the mind of photographers as a brand that pro's use. With the 645D I hope they do. In Poland over the last few months, more and more shops are carrying Pentax again! Mostly the K-x and then the K-7 as well. It only serves to make Pentax a name to be reckoned with again.
03-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #554
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone know how the 50,000 actuation life span for the shutter compares to the leica?
03-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #555
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This thing looks to me like a landscape photographer's dream camera?