Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
1/ $3900 for a 5DMkII!? I can get one from a mainstream store for Ђ2900... with the 24-105L (around Ђ2000 in online stores body only)!
Not familiar with the monetary symbol...is that a Euro? I'm presuming not as that works out to be $4253 CA (I'm in Canada)

2/ Where are the boat loads of AF 645 lenses again? I fail to see them on eBay more than once or twice a year and the link given by ogl states than almost all of them are "out of stock"on the Pentax official site... so what does that tell us again?
In scale, yes there are. I'm not saying that they will be in the same numbers as the millions of consumer lenses that were pumped out over the years, and I never said that they were all AF. I browse the MF sections of eBay regularly and they are there (Although I went the 67 route).

3/ I agree on not seeing how Pentax would be able to offer a MF camera for the price of a FF one: isn't the most expensive part the sensor and, AFAIK, Pentax doesn't manufacture their sensors and hence have no choice than to buy from the same guys Hasselblad and Mamyia are buying. What would be their leverage to lower the price of their camera?
Yes, I'll be interested in seeing what sensor they actually throw in the camera....

4/ Film 645 outfit was priced around the $2000 limit (close to $3000 for the AF version) and could be found for much lower prices on the used market. I don't remember ever seeing a film 645 camera costing between $6000 and $10000...
I don't know the original cost of the 645 when it was released but once you convert to 2010 dollars, I would be very surprised to see it at $2000.00.

5/ Film MF has an advantage in IQ in all situations over 24x36 film: given the same film grain, using MF provided automatically less grain. This is not true with MF digital which is better in good light but falls apart in higher ISO. DMD cameras are much more specialized cameras than MF was in the film days and will only appeal to a very narrow range of photographers.
I understand the benefit film had with MF. For digital, just like the FF debate today, this is debatable. There is more to an image than just how sharp it will appear when blown up to a ridiculous size. I am very interested to see what the sensor is today, not a MF sensor from 5 years ago. Hopefully they have addressed the low ISO issue....

I do agree however that this camera will appeal to a small group of photographers. I have always thought that Pentax not having a professional grade camera tarnishes the image of the semi-pro models. I see this move as one to help make Pentax a legitimate brand name capable of delivering a serious camera, something that can only help sales of other lines like the K7.

02-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Now theres just 9

Now theres just 9.

Slowly the last of the made in japan medium format pentax glass is disappearing.

When I did this search a couple years ago there was twice as many...

I bet B&H will have no 645 and 6x7 lenses left when 645D is available to purchase

Medium Format Lenses

Buy'um if you need'um

Clock is tick'n
02-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
A Japan only release makes sense to me because the Japanese consumer doesn't return things after buying (unless they fail). The rest of the world might have to wait but let that market be used to iron out the bugs. If it's successful and it isn't rolled out worldwide, I'm sure there will be an option to order it.
Sorry but what you've written is too condescending and insulting to say the least.
As a moderator I would have expected better.

Given the expected high price point and small pool of potential users, it makes sense for Pentax to release it to the Japanese market first.
02-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #49
Veteran Member

This is almost word for word what John Carlson said

This is almost word for word what John Carlson of Pentax USA said about 100 colors of K-x being sold in Japan only and what he said about 645D being Japan only sales.

Good Memory !

I agree, 645D is Japan market only.
645D sales outside Japan would be a surprise considering Pentax USA official statements just last year, in 2009

Still its great Pentax appears to be launching 645D ...

again

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

A Japan only release makes sense to me because the Japanese consumer doesn't return things after buying (unless they fail). The rest of the world might have to wait but let that market be used to iron out the bugs. If it's successful and it isn't rolled out worldwide, I'm sure there will be an option to order it.

02-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sorry but what you've written is too condescending and insulting to say the least.
As a moderator I would have expected better.

Given the expected high price point and small pool of potential users, it makes sense for Pentax to release it to the Japanese market first.
Well, the people who will buy this camera won't expect to pick this camera on a shelve and come out of the store. They will need training, given the size of the market, I wouldn't be surprised that the team dedicated to the product to be only of few persons.

Thus it makes sense to release the camera in different new region every quarter.
1. Japan,
2. Europe
3. USA

I put Europe before USA here because Pentax hold there a much stronger position than in the US.
02-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #51
Veteran Member

what if the 645d has a crop mode and k-mount adaptor and is able to use da/fa lenses @ different resolutions?

This is just me speculating.
02-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
what if the 645d has a crop mode and k-mount adaptor and is able to use da/fa lenses @ different resolutions?

This is just me speculating.
Strickly impossible if you want to retain focus to infinity. The registration distance is much bigger than on Pentax K mount. Do a little geometry and you'll understand why this is physically impossible.
02-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #53
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
It would be rather silly not to release a portrait lens for a medium format digital.
Dear friend, there are at least 13-15 various 645 lenses at hands, in stocks and shops.

For portrait, please...
PENTAX SMC-FA 645 150мм f/2.8 (IF)
http://shop.pentax.jp/shop/goods/goods.aspx?goods=26345
PENTAX SMC-FA 645 80-160мм f/4.5
http://shop.pentax.jp/shop/goods/goods.aspx?goods=26755

and old
PENTAX SMC LS 645 135мм f/4.0
(easy to buy in Russia new one, for example)

http://www.ars-pentax.ru/cat625/

02-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #54
ogl
Pentaxian

The picture of 645D at the web-site will be renewed during period till March,11. Pay attention.
and DON'T MISS... Check this site from time to time.
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I wonder if "optimized for digital" lenses will matter ?

Some film lenses do not fare well on digital sensors.

What if the existing 645 and 6x7 lens line up suffers on digital, then what ?

Buyers of 645D will want new glass, will one or two or three lenses at launch be enough ?

We'll all know how the old 645 and 6x7 lenses perform on digital sensor when 645D gets in the hands of 645D owners who post images with old, obsolete lenses.

02-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Looking through the lenses available I see there are none faster than f/2.8. That reminded me of an article I read a while back (might have even been a forum post somewhere actually). Back in the film days medium format made sense because the only way to get more resolution was to use larger film, however that is no longer the case in digital. The next Canon 1Ds is supposed to have over 30 megapixels, which will basically match the 39mp's of the 645D. Another advantage of MF is more DOF control. Obviously f/2.8 is as fast of an aperture as you need for MF b/c anything more would produce razor thin DOF, but Canon has a few f/1.2 primes that come very close to matching MF DOF.

I'm not a pro, and I'm not in this market, but it seems to me that digital MF just doesn't make as much sense as film MF did. MF is still the ultimate if resolution is all that matters, but the next generation of studio 35mm cameras will be capable of extremely hires studio shots of the bride, video of the wedding, and fast action shots as they run from bird seed due to their superior AF. That same camera could also be used in the Photographers personal life for anything from wildlife shots, to pics of their kids on a playground, to action shots in their sons first little league game. To me something like 1Ds just seems far more desirable due to it's versatility even if the resolution isn't quite as high.
02-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #57
ogl
Pentaxian

f2.8 is fast lens for 645 MF. it's f1.6 for 35 mm.
for example, 75/2.8 = 43/1.6 for 35 mm.

Last edited by ogl; 02-10-2010 at 08:35 AM.
02-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #58
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Some film lenses do not fare well on digital sensors.

What if the existing 645 and 6x7 lens line up suffers on digital, then what ?

Buyers of 645D will want new glass, will one or two or three lenses at launch be enough ?
Do you use FA, A, F, M and K lenses at APS-C cameras?
02-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
f2.8 is superfast lens for MF.
That's why I said:

"Obviously f/2.8 is as fast of an aperture as you need for MF b/c anything more would produce razor thin DOF"

But thanks for telling me what I already know
02-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #60
ogl
Pentaxian

What is the crop factor of new sensor...I wonder.

There are 39 MP with crop 1.1, 40 MP with crop 1.3, 50 MP with crop 1.0.