Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #631
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Was there mention of any other 645 Lenses?
This is what Pentax is showing NOW in Japan:

03-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I would think that it would be a pointless exercise to compare a CMOS sensor of 22.3 x 14.9 mm from an 18 megapixel APS-C camera to a 44mm x 33mm CCD sensor delivering 40 megapixels.
So say I.

My entire post was to explain why it is a pointless excercise and btw, I didn't do this exercise. You see something in my post which I didn't mean. I tried to explain why MF does not compare to FF.

And don't laugh, without a reason against, one can compare any two things ...

Last edited by falconeye; 03-11-2010 at 06:32 AM.
03-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #633
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
This is what Pentax is showing NOW in Japan:
Except for the new 55, that's the old FA645 lenses, right? But they were never discontinued in Japan - see this list: Interchangeable Lenses (for 645NII) : Film Cameras : PENTAX

... and here's the new list for 645D on the japanese pages:
?????????????????????PENTAX

EDIT: btw. their widest lens is the 33 mm end of the wide zoom, corresponding to 26 mm on 35mm. I wonder how they're going to solve that - a wider lens which covers the crop area isn't hard to make, I assume, but will they introduce crop only lenses?
03-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #634
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
EDIT: btw. their widest lens is the 33 mm end of the wide zoom, corresponding to 26 mm on 35mm. I wonder how they're going to solve that - a wider lens which covers the crop area isn't hard to make, I assume, but will they introduce crop only lenses?
yes. 33 mm = 20 mm for 645NII and 26 mm for 645D
But Pentax has prototype of new DFA ultra-wide lens.

03-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #635
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
A lot of electronics behind the sensor! I think we may see significantly less "fat" versions of this system in the future.
03-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #636
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This was discussed earlier, but I just noticed that the PEF/DNG file sizes are expected to be about 100MB.

JPEG 3 star at full resolution is expected to be about 25MB:

Pentax 645D specs

Also a nice picture of the body - look at the size of the dust catcher on the 645D:

03-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #637
Veteran Member

falconeye, seems like I'm mistaken. My apologies.
I think everyone should evaluate the 645D on its own merits rather than attempt to make nonsensical comparisons.
To me practical issues such as the sensor's color rendition and accuracy are far more important than outright resolution.
I've used the Hasselblad H3DII-39 and it isn't the most accurate and faithful in terms of color accuracy straight from the camera. I'm hopeful the 645D fares a lot better.
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #638
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
Well I just got out of CP+

generally as a show the whole deal looked a little 1.0

pentax was definitely the star. The crowd around their stage was 15 people deep and the wait to handle a 645 was about an hour with about six models out.

I gave up taking pics of all the guys with canikon around their neck waiting in line to see the 645

I didn't get toomuch time there but I did handle the new baby, so hereare my impressions:

it's LIGHT, weight the same as my k10 with an M 50mm 1.4 mounted, or less.
Fits my hand so nice, but portrait snaps would be a pain.
Lenses start at a cool grand.
Did I mention it's light? A tadge bigger than a hasselblad, better looking, and MUCH lighter.
The thumb and finger wheels are much better than the k series cameras, and in better positions.
The viewfinder is massive, and quite bright with the 55mm 2.8 which was mounted. I felt sucked into the frame.
The AF was sublime, of course it was SDM so maybe I didn't know what I was missing before. Didn't seem any faster than usual though.
I noticed a lag from button press to capture time, as the dude I was shooting ended up moved from the frame.
The shutter has quite a thunk. A but quieter than my k10 but you can feel the camera move more in your hand.
This would fit nicely in my current, small bag.
Did I mention it was light? Great ergonomics in the shape too.

I took some shots but they refused to let me put an sd card in it.

I will post all my pics later when I get home. Also watched and photo'd a photogs presentation regarding using the 645. I got the guy to take a pic of me with the 645, and it was fun to watch him fail with a manual lens

all for now
Thanks for your report! I'm sure there are many jealous forum members.

03-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #639
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
A lot of electronics behind the sensor! I think we may see significantly less "fat" versions of this system in the future.
True! This cutaway is very telling:

Look at all that empty space behind the sensor!

Just imagine replacing the CCD sensor with CMOS (with Live View), closing up the empty space and removing the prism...

Easier said than done of course, but one can dream, can't I????
03-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #640
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Just imagine replacing the CCD sensor with CMOS (with Live View), closing up the empty space and removing the prism...
I wouldn't want to remove the prism, though. I imagine the 645 has a wonderful viewfinder.
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #641
Site Supporter

I've been trying to keep up with this thread for days but I admit it is leaving me behind. Sorry if this has been answered before but:
What is the AA Filter mentioned?
I have more questions but I'll try to find the answers in this thread before asking.

Thanks,
03-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #643
Veteran Member

Has anyone seen a hint of a leaf shutter among the projections of future lenses?
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #644
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I think with this particular kind of viewfinder, you need the extra space behind the prism anyway. Of course, you can push it into the body with an EVF but a large optical VF is one of the beauties of a MF camera
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #645
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think with this particular kind of viewfinder, you need the extra space behind the prism anyway. Of course, you can push it into the body with an EVF but a large optical VF is one of the beauties of a MF camera
I've never had the privilege of using a MF so I can only imagine how nice the optical VF is - I'm sure it's stunning.

I'm responding in part to the requests for tethering capability, something a CMOS MF sensor could provide, thus making the VF redundant in certain shooting situations.

Just playing around with ideas...