Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #781
Pentaxian

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for all the explainations.

But there seems to be a tendency to confirm that the main purpose is perspective control in architectural shots. If this is true, I must repeat my question:

Why don't these guys use a straight lens and nodal point turns?

With software like Autopano Pro I imagine that results would be superior and the image taking procedure be simpler and faster.

Are shift lenses a thing of the analog past?
Not sure with non view cameras but in landscape photography with a view camera using tilts and swings greatly extends the depth of focus. That may be the prime reason many use large format cameras at all. It is not from simply closing down that the exteme forground and distant mountain can be in focus on a shot

03-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #782
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
in landscape photography with a view camera using tilts and swings greatly extends the depth of focus.
I am aware of this and this is why I wrote "in architectural shots".

I agree, the ability to tilt the focus plane with a tilt lens is a great thing, even in digital age where you could apply focus stacking. Not only with a view camera.
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #783
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Why don't these guys use a straight lens and nodal point turns?
If the only FOV extension they need can be provided with left to right shifting then that is the simplest solution. No need for additional equipment.
03-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
It is not that I am right and you are wrong but I am referring to LF and you are to 35mm format.
For the benefit of others who may not have read up on camera movements I will clarify this issue.

When using a view or technical camera, that is, one which has a front bellows, "rise" and "fall" refer to vertical movements. It is these that are used to remove perspective distortion. "Shift" refers to left and right movements of the lens, which is mostly used to avoid reflections of the camera itself in glass and so on.

However, on cameras without a front bellows, namely 35mm and medium format, the term "shift" is commonly used to refer to any of these movements. In this case vertical shifts will straighten converging lines but horizontal shifts will not.

Similarly, tilting the lens forwards or backwards, to change the focal plane, is called "tilt" on a view camera. Tilting the lens left or right is called "swing". But both of these are called "tilt" in 35mm, assuming one has a lens that can do both (it must be able to rotate).

All of these front standard movements are a function of the camera in the case of view cameras. But they are the function of the specific lens in 35mm. Without a tilt/shift lens one cannot begin to approximate the degree of control view cameras offer.

Rear standard movements may also be available on view cameras. Some of these duplicate the effects of front standard movements (though with different effects on image size, etc.) while others help with convergence control when shooting at a subject on an angle. But I think it is safe to say that these situations are significantly less prevalent than those covered by front standard movements.

03-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #785
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
For the benefit of others who may not have read up on camera movements I will clarify this issue.

When using a view or technical camera, that is, one which has a front bellows, "rise" and "fall" refer to vertical movements. It is these that are used to remove perspective distortion. "Shift" refers to left and right movements of the lens, which is mostly used to avoid reflections of the camera itself in glass and so on.

However, on cameras without a front bellows, namely 35mm and medium format, the term "shift" is commonly used to refer to any of these movements. In this case vertical shifts will straighten converging lines but horizontal shifts will not.

Similarly, tilting the lens forwards or backwards, to change the focal plane, is called "tilt" on a view camera. Tilting the lens left or right is called "swing". But both of these are called "tilt" in 35mm, assuming one has a lens that can do both (it must be able to rotate).

All of these front standard movements are a function of the camera in the case of view cameras. But they are the function of the specific lens in 35mm. Without a tilt/shift lens one cannot begin to approximate the degree of control view cameras offer.

Rear standard movements may also be available on view cameras. Some of these duplicate the effects of front standard movements (though with different effects on image size, etc.) while others help with convergence control when shooting at a subject on an angle. But I think it is safe to say that these situations are significantly less prevalent than those covered by front standard movements.
That's a very good concise explanation.
03-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #786
Veteran Member

Rear tilt is pretty common for landscape shooters as it tends to exaggerate the near-far effect. Also, on lenses with a smaller image circle it might be a better option than front tilt.
03-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #787
Veteran Member

If the only FOV extension they need can be provided with left to right shifting then that is the simplest solution. No need for additional equipment.
May be.

In order to spice up the thread with some photos, this is an image in rectilinear projection from the West Portal of Cologne Cathedral, 157m high. Problem is that the max. distance to the portal is 60m only, 1/3 of height.

If you think, the Gaudi cathedral in Barcelona takes long to be built: The Colgne cathedral took more than 600 years to be built

Even though the perspective distortion is well corrected on the planar part of the building, it cannot do wonders for the pyramid roof up in the sky (in reality, it would have to look higher)

This is freehand, more than 100MP, stitched from 2 dozen images. I doubt that a shift lens, combined with tripod would be that much less "additional equipment"

(btw, correcting perspective distortion is not "straighten lines". Straight lines are kept straight by a perspective distortion anyway. Correcting perspective distortion is about "parallelizing lines". This is best done by pointing the camera to the horizon (and using a shift lens) or selecting a "vanishing point" on the horizon within a decent panorama software package. Better accuracy than with PTLens.

Sky Cathedral (click to enlarge)

03-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #788
ogl
Banned

http://www.amazon.co.jp/PENTAX-中判デジタル一眼レフカメラ-645D-約4000万画素-大型CCDセンサー/dp/B003...ductPromotions

release date - May, 20.
03-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #789
Site Supporter

So if reports are accurate that they can build 500/month they should have at least 1500 when they go on sale maybe even 2x that. They could have been building them even though the firmware needed tweaked.
03-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #790
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
So if reports are accurate that they can build 500/month they should have at least 1500 when they go on sale maybe even 2x that. They could have been building them even though the firmware needed tweaked.
I think they've started to make 645D before CP+. The manual was printed on December, 2009.
03-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #791
Pentaxian

The 500 units/month is an official figure, published on Pentax Japan's website.
Ogl, if you're talking about the "leaked" manual, well... the camera depicted on the cover is not the production model as it had the mirror up button on the pentaprism housing:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/81538-pentax-645d-user-manual-leak.html
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #792
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ogl, if you're talking about the "leaked" manual, well... the camera depicted on the cover is not the production model as it had the mirror up button on the pentaprism housing:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/81538-pentax-645d-user-manual-leak.html

The picture of 645D could be pasted by any user who had the cover page.
but...the scheme of 645D is true.

I had info from Pentax China, not from this thread. But I don't know if Pentax strated to make 645D from December, 2009. It's just my guess.

Last edited by ogl; 03-21-2010 at 06:45 AM.
03-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #793
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Regardless, that doesn't tell us when the actually starting assembling units. It also doesn't indicate it that is their target average based on projections or maximum capacity. Furthermore, translation from Japanese has been confusing on more than 1 occasion even for so-called "official" reports. If they were building them in Jan, Feb and March and May, they could have 2000 units on hand. If they were building in Nov and Dec there could be as many as 3000 on hand. I think the 500 number could have been based on expected projections because I don't think they want to warehouse too many of these things.

Edit: The flip side of the coin is they are struggling to get the first 500 built and some guys in Tokyo are pissing their pants at the moment.
03-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #794
ogl
Banned

‰¿Ši.com - ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX PENTAX 645D ƒ{ƒfƒB ‰¿Ši”äŠr

Hmmm...

From $8600...
03-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #795
Pentaxian

Blue: of course we don't know when they started. It's safe to assume, though, that they planned to build up some stock for the initial demand. I'd bet it won't be enough or am I being too optimistic?
The 500 units/month is IMHO accurate; I'd translate (not talking about an automated translation, which can go very wrong even with simple things like this) "Initial monthly production volume: 500(units)". Afaik we have Japanese speakers here who can confirm.