Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Just playing around with ideas...
If you think this thru, you'll end up with a digital rear lens cap

03-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #647
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, lots of talk about how great the photos will be and all, but I will only buy one if it shots video... sorry if the jokes been made already... ;p
03-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #648
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
I don't have 10 grand to spend on a camera when/if this thing comes to the states, but this thing has me excited. 10 grand for a MF camera is a damn good price, especially with those specs. I've never really been afraid that the Pentax brand would disappear forever, and now, the thought won't cross my mind at all for awhile.
I kind of felt excited for a while as well. I even thought "maybe in a couple of years, after i graduate."

Then I did some math.

My Mamiya 645 1000s, 80mm f1.9, and WLF are worth roughly $300. Let's be really generous and say that in five years it will be possible to buy one of these for $4,000. That is a disparity of $3,700, or over 11,000 frames of film at $5 a roll.

I think I'll stick with my film gear.
03-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #649
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
Well I just got out of CP+

generally as a show the whole deal looked a little 1.0
Can you tell us how wide AF points put in VF.
Are all close to center or not?

Like this

or it's relative position?

03-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I kind of felt excited for a while as well. I even thought "maybe in a couple of years, after i graduate."

Then I did some math.

My Mamiya 645 1000s, 80mm f1.9, and WLF are worth roughly $300. Let's be really generous and say that in five years it will be possible to buy one of these for $4,000. That is a disparity of $3,700, or over 11,000 frames of film at $5 a roll.

I think I'll stick with my film gear.
What about developing cost for your films? How about costs to scan and digitize your negatives or slides? How about the time waiting to process? Time to print?
Is it really meaningful comparing a discontinued film camera which is fully depreciated vs a new digital camera that's just being launched?
If you want to stick to your old film ways, that's fine but if you can't or are not prepared to pony up the cost for digital MF, then such math is too simplistic and useless.
I'll bet the percentage of keepers with digital MF is gonna be way higher than film because there will always be a percentage of dud frames.
03-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #651
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Can you tell us how wide AF points put in VF.
Are all close to center or not?
There was this "cut-thru-the-middle" exhibit at CP+ (link in this thread). By the size of the auxiliary mirror and AF part in the bottom, I would say that AF points don't span a wider area.

I may be wrong, though.
03-12-2010, 03:02 AM   #652
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

requests for tethering capability, something a CMOS MF sensor could provide,
You don't need a CMOS sensor for that. A CCD can do it to.

03-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #653
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What about developing cost for your films? How about costs to scan and digitize your negatives or slides? How about the time waiting to process? Time to print?
I do all of these things myself, so the cost is negligible. Also the time arguement is pointless, as I usually don't bother scanning anything. I make my prints the "old film" way, in a darkroom, with an enlarger and chemistry. Doing so is both faster and more fun, at least for me.

QuoteQuote:
Is it really meaningful comparing a discontinued film camera which is fully depreciated vs a new digital camera that's just being launched?
I am comparing a price that is more than I paid to a hypothetical future price. If I wanted to be really honest I would say what I paid for the Mamiya, which is roughly $130, and use the list price for the 645D which is going to be over $10,000 with a " normal" lens when it is first available.

QuoteQuote:
If you want to stick to your old film ways, that's fine but if you can't or are not prepared to pony up the cost for digital MF, then such math is too simplistic and useless.
I didn't realize this forum was full of nothing but the filthy rich of the world. I was also unaware that Pentax is right up there with Leica and Hasselblad. I guess I'm the only person on this forum that still sees the importance in doing a value equation when considering a multi-thousand dollar purchase.

Just to make sure we are clear, even if I was Bill Gates rich I still don't think I would spend the money on the 645D. Digital MF is simply not worth the money for 99+% of photographers.

QuoteQuote:
I'll bet the percentage of keepers with digital MF is gonna be way higher than film because there will always be a percentage of dud frames.
Funny, I get easily 10 times more keepers on average out of my lowly P3n than I do out of my K10d. I think that you will find many others on this forum that feel the same.
03-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #655
ogl
Banned

http://kadrik.com/hasselblad/samples/dng/Strat-Headshot-50.dng
http://kadrik.com/hasselblad/samples/dng/zp_0009.dng
http://kadrik.com/hasselblad/samples/dng/ipetry_0067.dng
http://kadrik.com/hasselblad/samples/dng/Sample%20Image%203.dng

DNG from H4D-40 (or H3D-39....)

Last edited by ogl; 03-12-2010 at 04:12 AM.
03-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #656
Inactive Account

Spanish site hands-on review:

Google Traducir
03-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #657
Veteran Member

That last image shows great details, wow!...will be awesome for professional studio works.

For some reason (well, due to lack of experience and knowledge of MF) I was expecting a lot more with the landscape shots. Now, I realize there are no magic bullets.

Last edited by pcarfan; 03-12-2010 at 03:09 PM.
03-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #658
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
For some reason (well, due to lack of experience and knowledge of MF) I was expecting a lot more with the landscape shots.
I thought it had enough dynamic range so we no longer would need ND grad filters, but that doesn't look to be the case...
ISO1600 on the Hassy looks roughly like ISO800 on my K20D, but with less chroma noise
03-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #659
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FYI, the Hassy H3D-50 doesn't have an AA filter either...none of the Hassy's do (I asked their tech support). They have an IR filter built in, but the sensor doesn't have an AA filter. Their Phocus RAW processing software takes care of moire issues and has some awesome moire removal code...
03-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #660
Veteran Member

I tried talking to a guy about this camera but as soon as he heard pentax he went into canon FF fanboy mode.... going on and on about how his 1Ds mark X will beat anything Pentax can possibly make....

Man is the Pentax bashing getting old! I hope this camera is put up against canon's/nikon's top camera and I hope the Pentax shows them whose boss

Im quite proud to be a pentaxian with this camera out. Its like being proud that we the US have the best fighter jet in the world or something