02-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New SR patents from Pentax

Some feel it's for the 645.
United States Patent Application: 0100020184

02-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Doesn't the Sony ones have guide bars too?
02-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would be a serious first. I believe that the largest sensor system to have SR at present is the Sony A900.

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-10-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: sensor
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here it is in PDF format for those who don't want to install a TIFF viewer plugin, but want to see the included images:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/pdf_collections_server1/usapp/patent_pdf/20...0100020184.pdf

02-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Nubi

I am not sure if 645D needs a shake reduction....
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose it'd be silly to speculate on the drawing of the camera body they chose to use.
02-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
I suppose it'd be silly to speculate on the drawing of the camera body they chose to use.
I interpreted that as a "generic" camera body, intended to mask whatever they want to put the new SR device in. I reada that Hoya is fanatically close to the vest about product development.

02-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Pentax original SR system can move the sensor in three directions: vertically, horizontally, rotationally.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/SHAKE_REDUCTION_FACT_SHEET.pdf

Pentax newer SR system can move the sensor in two directions: vertically, horizontally

According to this K-x descriptions below, it appears the K-x may be using the newer SR system and the K-7 is using the older type.

"Like almost all shake reduction systems, the Kx's shake reduction can correct only for horizontal or vertical motion, but not for rotation -- a rare capability that is offered by the K-7."

Pentax K-x Digital Camera - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!

But I think the newer SR design has the advantage of being able to support a large/heavier sensor. So there may still be hope for either a 645D or FF in the future. At least, Pentax now has a SR system that can support it. Otherwise why would Pentax spend money on a new totally redesigned SR system when the original one has been working fine for aps-c sensor?? Since SR makes more sense for a FF than a MF as no current digital MF has build-in SR, if I have to place a bet, I would put my money on a FF.

Last edited by ma318; 02-10-2010 at 11:50 PM.
02-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If 645D has removable sensor system, I doubt that 645D needs shake reduction.
There is no SR logo on the front page of 645D manual.
02-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SR is definitely not needed for medium format. More likely incremental improvements to their other SLR's SR.
02-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ma318 Quote

According to this K-x descriptions below, it appears the K-x may be using the newer SR system and the K-7 is using the older type.

"Like almost all shake reduction systems, the Kx's shake reduction can correct only for horizontal or vertical motion, but not for rotation -- a rare capability that is offered by the K-7."
Could be, but it might also be that the K-x have the same old SR as every other Pentax dslr, (except the K-7,) which also only moved horizontally and vertically.
02-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I don't remember if this was said in respect to any specific camera, but I do remember hearing something about Pentax's SR being fully-floating - ie, with those guide bars mentioned in the patent, which gave you full pitch, yaw, and roll control, as well as the standard flange-parallel sliding.
02-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Could be, but it might also be that the K-x have the same old SR as every other Pentax dslr, (except the K-7,) which also only moved horizontally and vertically.
No, I don't think so...

The document below describes the SR system used in the K100D. It has a free floating sensor plate which allows for three directions movement - same as the one used in the K7. This is the older SR design. Hence, it is safe to conclude that all Pentax DSLR from the K100D and up to the K7 are using this "older" SR system. The one used by the K-X is most likely the new one. The new SR design has two movements as the sensor rests on a horizontal and vertical guide bar/actuator - not exactly free floating like the older design.

This is a good example at how good the marketing people usually are at selling you stuff - they tell you the truth but not the whole truth....A SR system that can only move in two directions (vertically and horizontally) can simulate any rotational movement anyway so the new system is not necessary a worse system. In fact, it can offer better sensor stability when the camera is not moving and it can certainly support a heavier/larger sensor.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/SHAKE_REDUCTION_FACT_SHEET.pdf

Last edited by ma318; 02-11-2010 at 08:51 AM.
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
SR is definitely not needed for medium format. More likely incremental improvements to their other SLR's SR.
The two Pentax documents on the two SR designs suggests that the new design is not an incremental improvement over the old one. It is a completely new design. Different enough that Pentax would file a new patent for it.

It is interesting to note the new SR design patent was first filed in Japan in July 2008. That means Pentax must have been doing R&D on the new SR design at least back in 2007. Perhaps Pentax realized back in 2007 or earlier that their original SR design would not cut it if they want to build a FF camera. Their original free floating SR design probably could not support the heavier weight of a larger sensor. If this is true then Pentax could be planning/working on a FF since at least 2007. Now whether they will actually release one for sale is another question.

Last edited by ma318; 02-11-2010 at 09:41 AM.
02-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
SR system before K-7 never supported rotational compensation although it was thought to.
Pentax said it was an interpretation error.

AFAIK the K-7 is the only one camera capable of that and btw, a lens with integrated compensation (IS or whatever CAN NOT compensate for rotational movement).