Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Something weird is afoot...50-135mm @Amazon price jump, looming PMA announcement?

I logged to my Amazon account this AM and every one of the vendors for the DA 50-135 SDM is priced between $900-$1000 (around $935-$999). I know Amazon plays pricing games for individual users so it could be just me seeing the jumps...and I am talking they jumped from ~$819 YESTERDAY to near to a grand today. Of course this could also be part of the rumor the 50-135mm was d/c'd recently as well.

That coupled with an increase in an increase in the K7 bodies to over ~$1000-$1120 after a few started showing up under the $1000 price point recently, it has me pondering something. I have a twitch that Pentax is doing some "brand dilution protection" (gawds they do come up with buzz word phrases which mean squat nutthin'...) because they are close to spinning off the camera division to some 3rd party with the announcement coming around the time of PMA. By now reducing prices it is supposed to show an illusion of value and if they decrease prices NOW, then the buyer could argue the brand is worth less based on the price point, no matter if they are selling lenses, bodies and other gear better as prices decrease.

Of course I have not been around Pentax long, so this could all just be the normal cycle, were it the camera bodies alone, I would blow it off...but a lense price jump of ~1.16x (roughly a 16% increase overnight) combined with the total lack of downward body price movement PLUS the looming PMA here in SoCal in April has me curious and speculating....something is happening, or at least might be happening and HoyaTax is using current retail prices to make the brand look better to stock holders of whoever is trying to buy the brand/DSLR-division....

While there has been a lot of speculation about Samsung...to me the dark horse might just be Sony...especially given the sudden use of the Sony sensor and it's quite positive results in the KX.

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-14-2010 at 12:26 PM.
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They're probably replacing the K200D between the K-x and K-7.

Yes the 50-135 is either really low in stock or out of stock. Even B&HPhoto is out of stock

B&H Shopping Cart | B&H Photo Video

As for Adorama? Add it to cart and it'll say Out of stock.

Maybe Pentax will replace it with a 70-200/2.8? Or a revamped SDM of the 50-135? Only time will tell.
02-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In fact the ONLY DA* lense, as of today that is UNDER $1000 is the DA* 55/1.4 for a bit over $600...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dphoto&field-keywords=pentax+da+sdm

LeDave: Nice, sleuthing, I had not even thought to check at the big three camera sellers...something is happening...???
02-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm guessing they will come out with the same DA* 50-135 with improved SDM motor. As well as a improved DA* 16-50 that will both be optically improved as well as SDM improved. Just a guess, just a guess..

02-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe, but that would be something, I am not sure how much better they could make the optics in the 50-135...or even the 16-50 which I think only needs better QC on it's optics, or maybe the design is just not right.

Didn't Tokina d/c the 16-50 and the 50-135 in Canikon mounts? So, yeah you could be right, maybe it is just the supply is done and the new versions won't be out until announced at PMA?

I am actually thinking about hitting PMA siince it's only a 3hrs drive for me, dunno if I am up to all the walking though. We'll see...I have to live through my Yosemite vacation the 2nd week of April before then...hehehehe...
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #6

If the lens was being replaced you would expect the price to go down, not up. They aren't going to want to be caught with any stock of the old version which no one is going to buy. Prices on Amazon fluctuate like crazy, I wouldn't read anything into it.
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krtwood Quote
If the lens was being replaced you would expect the price to go down, not up. They aren't going to want to be caught with any stock of the old version which no one is going to buy. Prices on Amazon fluctuate like crazy, I wouldn't read anything into it.
ummmm...had you read the thread, this is NOT isolated to Amazon...

And, oh, how does your theory explain the current prices for the K20D?

Swiiing and a miss I think...

02-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does seem a little odd. I would go with the guess that this is due to the release of SDM II -- ring motors, heralding the coming of faster auto focus to Pentax cameras. Basically, stocks are low and dealers have what they have right now -- little coming in the pipe, so they raise rates to make it last longer. Can't figure anything else out. Why else would Pentax stop shipping their bread and butter zooms?
02-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Interesting events. I think HoyaTax:
a) is coming out with a new version of the K7 like Nikon did with the D300 and they don't want the price to dip on the old version before the new vers. hits the street. price point protection. it won't be a major redo, but will include a new sensor.
b) if memory serves, the major problems with the DA zooms were ALMOST entirely with the 50-135 and the 16-50. Both will be redesigned to include SDM II, the ring focusing motor. don't know about the 16-50, but optics on the 50-135 cannot be improved upon-outstanding IMHO. Problem is that if the new SDM II causes a significant weight gain, they just may decide go to 70-200. (unfortunate because the 50-135 was an ideal range for some things) But hang on to your hat regards the prices with the new ring motor.
c) Sony has to be upset that they can't capture more SLR market share with their own house brand. A sony/Pentax alliance or more, makes too much sense for both sides.
02-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wasn't there a similar thread sometime ago wherein someone said the whole Japanese police is being supplied with Pentax gear, thus temporarily limiting supply?

Whatever the reason, the US importer (amazon, isn't it?) may just be low on stock. Decreased supply means a higher price.
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #11

Everyones keep mentioning that because of SDMII, prices of the DA* 50-135 went up. This don't make allot of sense. If people are afraid of buying the 50-135 why is there such a high demand for it. Prices only goes up if there's a demand for it, otherwise it would be dirt cheap.

Last edited by Alex00; 02-14-2010 at 02:24 PM.
02-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I logged to my Amazon account this AM and every one of the vendors for the DA 50-135 SDM is priced between $900-$1000 (around $935-$999). I know Amazon plays pricing games for individual users so it could be just me seeing the jumps...and I am talking they jumped from ~$819 YESTERDAY to near to a grand today. Of course this could also be part of the rumor the 50-135mm was d/c'd recently as well.

That coupled with an increase in an increase in the K7 bodies to over ~$1000-$1120 after a few started showing up under the $1000 price point recently, it has me pondering something. I have a twitch that Pentax is doing some "brand dilution protection" (gawds they do come up with buzz word phrases which mean squat nutthin'...) because they are close to spinning off the camera division to some 3rd party with the announcement coming around the time of PMA. By now reducing prices it is supposed to show an illusion of value and if they decrease prices NOW, then the buyer could argue the brand is worth less based on the price point, no matter if they are selling lenses, bodies and other gear better as prices decrease.

Of course I have not been around Pentax long, so this could all just be the normal cycle, were it the camera bodies alone, I would blow it off...but a lense price jump of ~1.16x (roughly a 16% increase overnight) combined with the total lack of downward body price movement PLUS the looming PMA here in SoCal in April has me curious and speculating....something is happening, or at least might be happening and HoyaTax is using current retail prices to make the brand look better to stock holders of whoever is trying to buy the brand/DSLR-division....

While there has been a lot of speculation about Samsung...to me the dark horse might just be Sony...especially given the sudden use of the Sony sensor and it's quite positive results in the KX.
$819.99 at Dell, Currently $929.84 @ Amazon

SMC DA 50-135 mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Star Telephoto Zoom Lens : Digital Cameras & Camcorders | Dell
Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
list is $1129.95
Of course it says "only 1 available"... as stock dries up it is normal for a price boost from remaining retailers to maximize price. If/when everyone is restocked it will go down again..
As to the body:
k-7 Body only

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.
02-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #13

I emailed amazon regarding the price change. They replied within 30 minutes, Here's what they said.

" I'm sure it's disappointing to see the higher price on the Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm. Our prices regularly change (we constantly receive new data from our suppliers) and the price you saw last week was the lowest price we were able to offer at the time. "
02-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lens data

50-135 Lens

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-14-2010 at 03:41 PM.
02-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Which lens. You have 2 different graphs