Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Pentax division is a drop in the ocean of Hoya glass's business.

The reasons why Hoya bought Pentax are known, they are called : medical imaging.

Lens design is not mystical, arcane, done in dark seculded places. It's done in front of computers, with any one of the three standard programs in the market : Oslo, Zemax or Code V. In those programs, you can load any lens design you made or purchased, load catalogs from all the major glassmakers, tweak the designs, change the glass, etc. You can buy a CD with 10 000 lens designs in a pinch.

Lens design is made by starting with a design that exists, and adjust it, modify it, to suit your personal needs.

Glass manufacturer would make no money if they did not sell their glass. It's a simple as that.

You can choose to trust me or not. I can only state my credentials, and walk away not really caring one way or another. Here goes:

Masters in physics : fiber optics and laser designs
PhD in physics : atmmospherical optics, optical design
Special training in lens design
Current job title : optical designer

That's not bragging. As I wrote, I don't really care one way or another. I know how to do my job
Hoya also stated they wanted the consumer camera unit because they had none. Regardless whether its the medical unit or camera unit, I don't think Hoya acquired Pentax to loose money. No one is arguing the physics here. Hoya is not going to sell glass to their medical and camera unit at the prices they would to Cosina, Nikon, Canon etc. That doesn't mean they would transfer them to their other divisions at a loss either. Plus, the potential for the glass people to collaborate with the lens and camera people as well.

Furthermore, this discussion really had nothing to do with your job or anyone telling you how to do it. However, if a monkey can design lenses with a computer program from the book store, you company could save a lot of money be getting rid of a few Ph.D. folks and getting a few Woolly Monkeys.

03-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
However, if a monkey can design lenses with a computer program from the book store, you company could save a lot of money be getting rid of a few Ph.D. folks and getting a few Woolly Monkeys.
HAH! "Congratulations on your eight years of grueling tertiary study. Here's a CD-ROM. Your job will be to run errands for it and fetch it coffee, as it's your superior."

Joking, of course.

All in all, people have failed to convince me why the Vietnamese can't make lenses. They haven't even offered any reasons.

Hell, I'll take phrenology at this stage.
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
HAH! "Congratulations on your eight years of grueling tertiary study. Here's a CD-ROM. Your job will be to run errands for it and fetch it coffee, as it's your superior." Hysterical

Joking, of course.

All in all, people have failed to convince me why the Vietnamese can't make lenses. They haven't even offered any reasons.

Hell, I'll take phrenology at this stage.
I certainly don't have any issues with my DA ltd lenses.
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

However, if a monkey can design lenses with a computer program
you are oversimplifying... there are things besides the optical design - that is how to cook the glass, plastic and coating, how to mold, grind, bond and coat... but once you know the optical properties of the materials at your disposal and available shapes that are doable - you can feed that to the program and it will ray trace that for you.

03-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
you are oversimplifying... there are things besides the optical design - that is how to cook the glass, plastic and coating, how to mold, grind, bond and coat... but once you know the optical properties of the materials at your disposal and available shapes that are doable - you can feed that to the program and it will ray trace that for you.
I wasn't the one over simplifying or bringing up design software and my quip was in response to the person that did:

QuoteQuote:
. . .Lens design is not mystical, arcane, done in dark seculded places. It's done in front of computers, with any one of the three standard programs in the market : Oslo, Zemax or Code V. In those programs, you can load any lens design you made or purchased, load catalogs from all the major glassmakers, tweak the designs, change the glass, etc. You can buy a CD with 10 000 lens designs in a pinch.

Lens design is made by starting with a design that exists, and adjust it, modify it, to suit your personal needs.
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #51
Inactive Account

I certainly don't have any issues with my DA ltd lenses.
OMG - you need to sell them! Unclean, unclean!

'Zackly. This situation has happened before, though. Zeiss: regarded as some of the finest lenses in the world...and where are they made? Japan.

And though I wasn't around in the seventies, when the Contax/Yashica thing kicked off, from what I gathered there was a big stink about their provenance.

And they turned out fine. Hell, a lot of 'em are made by Cosina nowadays (dunno where the Sony stuff's made, or who makes it,) and despite all the naysayers, Zeiss - the company with a history spanning centuries, who are responsible for most of the famous lens designs still used today - seemed to think that geography doesn't matter in lens making.

Same situation: a company from one country overseeing development of lenses in what was perceived to be an "inferior" country for lens making.

It's about prestige. About the only companies doing well in German today are non-mainstream large-format makers and Leica. Japanese cameras went on to conquer the market. There's a myth that German>Japanese lenses and Japanese-made>Vietnamese-assembled.
03-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How about Nike and Addidas?

They make their snickers around the world. How many people have seen the differences in terms of countries of origin? Brands are much more important than the countries of manufacturing.

Most IPODs, cell phones, and IXXXs are made in China now. So what? Even Prada and Armani are making stuff in China now. But they do not want to tell you, not because of the product quality but because of perception.
03-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
How about Nike and Addidas?
I have never been able to get them to mount properly with my K-mount bodies plus they seem to darken the viewfinder way too much.

03-03-2010, 08:40 AM   #54
Inactive Account

If you can get the on your camera, they're great: any fungus they harbour is easily cleaned up with some clotrimazole cream.