Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax K-7 Now $999 at B&H

Pentax K-7 Now $999 at B&H,

Now $300 off its $1,299 USA launch price.

Pentax | K-7 SLR Digital Camera Body | 17811 | B&H Photo Video

02-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! I will buy one if I can sell my current stuff.
02-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Pentax K-7 Now $999 at B&H,

Now $300 off its $1,299 USA launch price.

Pentax | K-7 SLR Digital Camera Body | 17811 | B&H Photo Video

Might be tempted but it's not the camera for me. It's too noisy and bad at high ISO, long exposures and low light. You can't disable the DFS which is a killer of the deal as well. Not a full frame either by the way. This camera has way too much hype. Nice camera but NOT perfect. I am thinking about dropping Pentax right now and going Canon since they currently don't have a digital for me.

William
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Abe Of Maine has it for $ 1,079.95 with the 18-55 WR lens + Free Shipping

02-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillCarney Quote
Might be tempted but it's not the camera for me. It's too noisy and bad at high ISO, long exposures and low light. You can't disable the DFS which is a killer of the deal as well. Not a full frame either by the way. This camera has way too much hype. Nice camera but NOT perfect. I am thinking about dropping Pentax right now and going Canon since they currently don't have a digital for me.

William
As an owner of a K-7, I can say I have no significant issues with noise up to ISO 1600, when shooting RAW. This is comparable to most of the K-7's competitors at the time it was launched. Even ISO 3200 is quite usable with the right exposure and some judicious noiseware usage.
02-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As an owner of a K-7, I can say I have no significant issues with noise up to ISO 1600, when shooting RAW. This is comparable to most of the K-7's competitors at the time it was launched. Even ISO 3200 is quite usable with the right exposure and some judicious noiseware usage.
I'd add that the K-7 clearly DOES live up to its hype.
It's the difference between a gun-type camera (Canikon) and a camera for photographers (Pentax).
02-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Agreed, I've been able to shoot right up to ISO 1600 with no problems, and I'm not afraid to kick it up to ISO 2500 when I need to.

My favourite part of my K-7 is how I can pull so much detail out of under-exposed shots. That means I can use faster shutter speeds and still get away with useable shots. All of the K-7's competitors brag about their highlight range, but their shadow range doesn't even come close. I'll take shadow range over highlight range any day.

02-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 does live up to the hype for me too. It's about all those small but important changes compared to the K10D and K20D that makes it a much better camera.

Just one thing I like a lot (which tends to be overlooked but it's important for me because I change lenses *often*): the anti-dust solution works perfectly. Since I bought the K-7 last summer I haven't used my arctic butterfly at all. Not once. I used to do that every two weeks when I owned a K10D and a K20D - but with the K-7 it just is not needed. And I change lenses every day....

The better AF, better white balance, etc. etc., do I still have to continue?
02-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If I believed everything I read, I wouldn't buy the K-7, rather I would just wait and wait and wait and wait for something perfect to come along. I dunno what I would do in the meanwhile.

Going completely against my inner voice, I bought a K-7 a couple of months ago as an upgrade from my K10D and am glad I chose this camera. It's not perfect, but what is? It's several degrees better than my K10D and when I was and comparing apples to apples and to oranges and bananas, I am glad I didn't let rumour sway me. Great camera.

Jason
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The K-7 does live up to the hype for me too. It's about all those small but important changes compared to the K10D and K20D that makes it a much better camera.
The problem is too many people harp on the sensor and ignore the rest. The sensor isn't leaps and bounds better than the previous one (K20D) or the direct competition. It's easy for pessimists to look at a spec sheet and dismiss the rest of the camera's features.

In reality, the sensor is very competitive with its direct competition, and in a package that costs way less. When you add all the brilliant features, it's a no-brainer.
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillCarney Quote

William
As long as you realize there will never be a perfect camera...Canon is having difficulties with AF on it's FF, if you're looking for a FF.

And...I think that FF's will come down in price...Sony has started the FF price war with the recent intro of it's 850...I expect Nikon and Canon will bring out competition...soon.
02-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Agreed, I've been able to shoot right up to ISO 1600 with no problems, and I'm not afraid to kick it up to ISO 2500 when I need to.

My favourite part of my K-7 is how I can pull so much detail out of under-exposed shots. That means I can use faster shutter speeds and still get away with useable shots. All of the K-7's competitors brag about their highlight range, but their shadow range doesn't even come close. I'll take shadow range over highlight range any day.

Over at the other Pentax forum, GordonBGood has stated that the K-7 actually has limited DR at low ISO, because of shadow noise. This makes it more difficult to open shadows aggressively without bringing forth a lot of noise. The K-x and the Nikon D300s seem to be better in this regard.

Don't mean to burst your bubble. If you are pleased with the shadow performance you are getting from your K-7, then by all means continue using it in your current fashion.

Rob
02-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Over at the other Pentax forum, GordonBGood has stated that the K-7 actually has limited DR at low ISO, because of shadow noise. This makes it more difficult to open shadows aggressively without bringing forth a lot of noise. The K-x and the Nikon D300s seem to be better in this regard.
I'd love to see some examples of that. My own experience has been the complete opposite; blown highlights tend to be unrecoverable, while shadows retain tons more detail. This is typically at ISO 100 to 400. Granted, there's a balance needed to avoid noise, but I've had very little trouble minimizing noise in those situations.
02-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

GordonBGood is known as something of a troll anyway, isn't he? I seem to recall him harping nonstop on one of the DA* lenses, for no reason anyone could discern.
02-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting close to my striking price... - waiting for similar price drop in Canada.