Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just flashed, no different for my 16-50. everything just fine.

02-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Oh yeah, some guys upgraded the firmware to 1.03, and claimed that focusing w/ FA50 is better (sharper), exposure is more accurate (not as likely to get under exposed photos), high ISO noise control is better, SR is more effective, taking video is definitely better ('cause the firmware fixed some SD card problem) ...
I wouldn't dismiss it so much. I totally dismissed those people who claimed SR was more effective after they installed the silent 1.02 update a couple months back. I figured they were just seeing what they wanted to see. Then I went and installed it, and lo-and-behold, SR performance wasn't just slightly improved, it was VASTLY improved. Suddenly, shots that came out blurry at 1/40 were coming out razor sharp at 1/20. I can take a perfect shot at 1/6 and 50mm handheld when I'm steady.

Most people didn't install this silent 1.02 update because it was never listed anywhere. Pentax just pushed it to their servers to replace the previous 1.02 update, and didn't mention what it fixed. The only way to tell it was different was by checking the MD5 sum. The only way to confirm it was really new was to check the 3rd minor version number of the firmware in the EXIF of pictures taken with the camera. But the fact that the camera allowed updating the firmware from 1.02 to 1.02 was proof enough anyways. Normally the camera won't do a firmware update unless the firmware file on the SD card is different from the current one.

So people installing 1.03 would now be seeing the same improvements I did to SR performance. I wouldn't discount further possible changes to the way the camera behaves.
02-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
Sweet, My cheaper than the sandisk by far transcends just went back to amazon today because they couldn't keep up with the video and NOW they fix it.....
I had the same problem, my 16GB Class6 SD card couldn't keep up so I bought a faster Class10 8GB card instead. Now I can use my 16GB one for video and my 8GB one for faster picture-taking

Out of curiosity, I just tried out the high speed shooting now that I've updated the firmware. I still get only 9 shots at 5.2 fps in RAW+ and 13 shots in RAW. But I can get 25 shots in JPG-only before the camera starts to slow down, and it only slows down negligibly at that point. This is a vast improvement from the old 14-15 in JPG-only.
02-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
So people installing 1.03 would now be seeing the same improvements I did to SR performance. I wouldn't discount further possible changes to the way the camera behaves.
Maybe that's what Pentax means by:
"Improved usability by optimize the program of vertical position judgment."

Better SR because the camera can now better judge how you handle your camera?
Just a possibility - maybe that's what they've been working on the various 'silent' updates...

02-18-2010, 04:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eljaco Quote
Maybe that's what Pentax means by:

Better SR because the camera can now better judge how you handle your camera?
Just a possibility - maybe that's what they've been working on the various 'silent' updates...
Actually I thought it was pretty clear that they've improved the camera's ability to sense when the camera is held vertically -- i.e. maybe it used to misjudge and rotate/not rotate some pictures that were supposed (not) to be, and now it doesn't. Don't own a K-7, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
02-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #36
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Improved usability by optimize the program of vertical position judgment.

what does it mean?
02-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Improved usability by optimize the program of vertical position judgment.

what does it mean?
I think it might relate to the "zero" position of the sensor. If the sensor didn't take the proper vertical as reference, it might cause pictures to be off level.

02-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Not intending to "pixel peep" but...

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm? We must have had different K10D/K7 ..
Hi there Thibs,

I take/make pictures and I couldn't care less about some of the questionable "reviews/tests" one can find on the net.

But, while doing some research for a new camera I was going to surprise myself with , I found the general consensus concerning Pentax camera image quality is:

It's been downhill from the K10D onward...
(Especially at low ISO; I don't do more than 100...)

After checking the usual suspects (dpreview, steves-digicams, imaging-resource etc...) and looking at the listings at dxomark, I decided I'll just wait for a FF later this year or next.

I'm certain it's not because of the capabilities of my K10D "if/that" my imagery sucks...

Anyways [sic], here's a link to the listing at dxomark... Just choose Pentax and see for your self... Camera rankings
28th K10D, 32nd K20D, 56th K-7...

Greets from a cold and rainy Cologne,
Michael
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Up on the Pentax Canada site now:
Pentax Canada - K-7
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #40

On Pentax Japan as well:

Pentax Japan K-7
02-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #41

K-x next? Finger crossed...
02-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I had the same problem, my 16GB Class6 SD card couldn't keep up so I bought a faster Class10 8GB card instead. Now I can use my 16GB one for video and my 8GB one for faster picture-taking

Out of curiosity, I just tried out the high speed shooting now that I've updated the firmware. I still get only 9 shots at 5.2 fps in RAW+ and 13 shots in RAW. But I can get 25 shots in JPG-only before the camera starts to slow down, and it only slows down negligibly at that point. This is a vast improvement from the old 14-15 in JPG-only.
I never tried the actual photo counting in burst before I upgraded to 103 but I just did a test on my remaining 8 gig Transcend and can now get 2:30 ish before the buffer fills up. I guess this is still an improvement but it's still not going to work for full capability videos on those class 6 cards. I would suspect though that the 15 mb/s and especially 20 mb/s cards would work just fine now.
02-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eljaco Quote
That's just atrocious translating... I find it hilarious how Japanese translates to English. It's even worse than French to English.
02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #44
emr

What is it with v 1.02 firmware and Pentax? Atleast now there are only sofware versions 1.01 and 1.03 for K20D too.

QuoteOriginally posted by carpediem007 Quote
Greets from a cold and rainy Cologne
Wanna trade that for -29°C and a metre of snow?
02-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sad not get full manual video, Low Light, more more... I think 1.03 is last then no longer because I see other most of 1.03 never get more than 1.04 or more.. Look alike it was last then no longer firmware for K-7 because I had my K10d was only 1.03.. SAD