Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
I'm seeing Pentax Kx in places I've never seen before: Best Buy and Futureshop both have it to handle and I've seen the K-7 in every camera store around here.

(Remember everytime you see a K-x on display enable the extended ISO).
I recommended a K-x 2-lens kit to a friend last week, which he bought at a retail store here. He is totally pleased, especially given the deal price (close to Amazon).

All we have to do is tell people and all Pentax has to do is get cameras in stores

02-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Punky Quote
Both Canon and Pentax pulled out months ago. It was not a recent decision. All the big cheeses from Pentax will be in there with a special "suite" for invited guests and customers. They just won't have a booth on the show floor.

All is good in Pentaxland!!
This is correct. Pentax doesn't have a booth, and decided against one quite a while ago. They have meeting rooms, which are what the PMA Exhibitor List is calling "booths".

This is a non-story.
02-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #48
Banned

I bet Canon and Pentax will be at photokina 2010 Tuesday, September 21 to Sunday, September 26, 2010.
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I recommended a K-x 2-lens kit to a friend last week, which he bought at a retail store here. He is totally pleased, especially given the deal price (close to Amazon).

All we have to do is tell people and all Pentax has to do is get cameras in stores
As a photo retailer I spend a lot of time talking with other retailers of all sizes all across the country. I am finding more who are rediscovering the value of Pentax and the role Pentax plays in the industry. One of the truly great imaging business minds in the industry is Chris Lydle of Chris' Camera Center in Aiken, South Carolina. He is fairly well revered amongst photo retailers regarding staying competitive and relevant in this evolving industry. When other retailers, many of whom look to what Mr. Lydle is doing, see that he has picked up the Pentax brand, I am certain that more stores will follow suit.

I can not emphasize this enough; if you want your local retailers to carry Pentax, let them know that there is demand for the product. You don't have to finance their inventory selection, but if you do encourage your retailers to carry Pentax there will have to be some proof of the demand. Buy something from them when they make the investment in the brand. As I have said, I talk to retailers all over the country, and the most common reason they give for not carrying Pentax is there is no demand. If these retailers have no customers asking for Pentax, they won't even think about carrying the brand. What they carry has little to do with what the manufacturer does, it all has to do with what their customers are asking for. Do you really think retailers carry Nikon becuase Ashton Kutcher is their front man? They carry Nikon because customers ask for their products, and Ashton has comparitively little to do with that.

Now, go out with all your friends and ask your local retailer for Pentax and then back up your demand with purchases.

02-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #50
Veteran Member

The word from Ned Bunnell himself: NED BUNNELL: PMA 2010
02-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
As a photo retailer I spend a lot of time talking with other retailers of all sizes all across the country. I am finding more who are rediscovering the value of Pentax and the role Pentax plays in the industry. One of the truly great imaging business minds in the industry is Chris Lydle of Chris' Camera Center in Aiken, South Carolina. He is fairly well revered amongst photo retailers regarding staying competitive and relevant in this evolving industry. When other retailers, many of whom look to what Mr. Lydle is doing, see that he has picked up the Pentax brand, I am certain that more stores will follow suit.

I can not emphasize this enough; if you want your local retailers to carry Pentax, let them know that there is demand for the product. You don't have to finance their inventory selection, but if you do encourage your retailers to carry Pentax there will have to be some proof of the demand. Buy something from them when they make the investment in the brand. As I have said, I talk to retailers all over the country, and the most common reason they give for not carrying Pentax is there is no demand. If these retailers have no customers asking for Pentax, they won't even think about carrying the brand. What they carry has little to do with what the manufacturer does, it all has to do with what their customers are asking for. Do you really think retailers carry Nikon becuase Ashton Kutcher is their front man? They carry Nikon because customers ask for their products, and Ashton has comparitively little to do with that.

Now, go out with all your friends and ask your local retailer for Pentax and then back up your demand with purchases.
You're being fooled if you don't think a "front man" has anything to do with the success of a product in the US. Americans are sheep and want to be like and do whatever the celebrities do. The success weighs heavily on the exposure of the product whether its product placement in film/TV or the right face to represent them. Unfortunately Hoya hasn't provided the funds yet to give PENTAX the exposure needed in North America. PENTAX will continue to be a great product, but only reach cult status unless there's investment in promotion.
02-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Americans are sheep and want to be like and do whatever the celebrities do.
Somebody is pissed that Canadians can't play hockey.

Thank you
Russell

02-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #53

You're being fooled if you don't think a "front man" has anything to do with the success of a product in the US. Americans are sheep and want to be like and do whatever the celebrities do. The success weighs heavily on the exposure of the product whether its product placement in film/TV or the right face to represent them. Unfortunately Hoya hasn't provided the funds yet to give PENTAX the exposure needed in North America. PENTAX will continue to be a great product, but only reach cult status unless there's investment in promotion.
Perhaps I am being fooled. I did not carry Nikon cameras in my store for 13 years. However both sales and revenue went up all but two of those years. I put them back in the store two years ago, advertised the nonsense out of the brand with all the AK support I could find. I even went so far as to try to exploit the fact that Ashton and I are from the same town in Iowa. Even though Nikon offers absolutely outstanding products, and they have the closest thing to level pricing for retailers, I have to put every bit as much of a sales pitch to move product as I do for a Pentax or Sony product. Perhaps it is a somewhat geographical issue; people where my store is just don't knock my door down seeking a Nikon camera because they want to be like AK. Maybe I need to be more cynical and try treating my customers like sheep. I guess having a front man from Iowa would be appropriate in that case.
02-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps I am being fooled. I did not carry Nikon cameras in my store for 13 years. However both sales and revenue went up all but two of those years. I put them back in the store two years ago, advertised the nonsense out of the brand with all the AK support I could find. I even went so far as to try to exploit the fact that Ashton and I are from the same town in Iowa. Even though Nikon offers absolutely outstanding products, and they have the closest thing to level pricing for retailers, I have to put every bit as much of a sales pitch to move product as I do for a Pentax or Sony product. Perhaps it is a somewhat geographical issue; people where my store is just don't knock my door down seeking a Nikon camera because they want to be like AK. Maybe I need to be more cynical and try treating my customers like sheep. I guess having a front man from Iowa would be appropriate in that case.
The chain where my friend bought his camera has carried - and featured - Pentax for over 35 years. Presently the K-x is front-page featured on the website. I heard a co-op radio ad for the K-7 last fall and saw a co-op TV ad for the K-x in the local slot before the weather on the 10:00 news.

It can be done. Pentax does support retailers - when they support Pentax.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.
02-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Somebody is pissed that Canadians can't play hockey.

Thank you
Russell
LOL. I am pissed, but its not over!

Sorry, (here comes another Canadian apology) for my "sheep" comment, but I was using Americans to encompass both countries. Much of the world looks at us as one market. Canadians are just as influenced by the advertising seen on MTV, Hockey Night in Canada, or at the movies.
02-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #56

It's a lot more work and it would require more loyal retailers like yourself , but regionalized success is possible with minimal support. I've seen it in Canada where there's a strong PENTAX rep and good rapport with retailers, success for the product does seem to grow. There are a lot of reasons for good sales that go into play but for the real BIG numbers companies have to be in the faces of the masses. In electronics the demographic is changing,and unfortunately it's getting younger and camera companies have to appeal to them.
02-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Over hear - one of the largest online online photographic sites has just dropped the whole Pentax product line - there are now no Pentax products or lenses readily available from retail either

Now I'm pissed!!
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #58

It's a lot more work and it would require more loyal retailers like yourself , but regionalized success is possible with minimal support. I've seen it in Canada where there's a strong PENTAX rep and good rapport with retailers, success for the product does seem to grow. There are a lot of reasons for good sales that go into play but for the real BIG numbers companies have to be in the faces of the masses. In electronics the demographic is changing,and unfortunately it's getting younger and camera companies have to appeal to them.

Very well put. Perhaps it even comes down to living and working in a town whose unemployment rate ranks right up there (down there) with the worst Michigan has to offer. The Pentax products in many, many circumstances just provide such an overwhelming value that my customers are recognizing that. You bring up a good point about regionalized success, and I do have an outstanding sales rep. He only lives about 75 miles from my store, but we just don't require a lot of face time from him. He does however have a very strong business mind that can adjust to the needs of his customers and his employer. He has helped out quite a bit in helping navigate our enterprise through some wierdness over the past couple of years.

As far as big numbers go, there are some substantial retailers, monochrome mentions one (not by name but I think he means Creve Couer Camera) that have enjoyed amazing success with Pentax as a leading brand. It can be done. Additionally those retailers that I talk to who have Nikon or Canon as their bread and butter lines do not mention the front men for those companies as reasons for the demand. But if AK is being used to connect with a younger demographic, I hate to think of who will draw the crowd five years from now.
02-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very well put. Perhaps it even comes down to living and working in a town whose unemployment rate ranks right up there (down there) with the worst Michigan has to offer. The Pentax products in many, many circumstances just provide such an overwhelming value that my customers are recognizing that. You bring up a good point about regionalized success, and I do have an outstanding sales rep. He only lives about 75 miles from my store, but we just don't require a lot of face time from him. He does however have a very strong business mind that can adjust to the needs of his customers and his employer. He has helped out quite a bit in helping navigate our enterprise through some wierdness over the past couple of years.

As far as big numbers go, there are some substantial retailers, monochrome mentions one (not by name but I think he means Creve Couer Camera) that have enjoyed amazing success with Pentax as a leading brand. It can be done. Additionally those retailers that I talk to who have Nikon or Canon as their bread and butter lines do not mention the front men for those companies as reasons for the demand. But if AK is being used to connect with a younger demographic, I hate to think of who will draw the crowd five years from now.
Yes. I don't know why I was modest in my post. I don't believe this is a peculiarity of the St. Louis market. It is a peculiar ability that the owners of the company have had over the years to market a range of products to a range of users, understanding and meeting their needs. Pentax fits a particular buyer profile and CCC exploits that profile successfully.

I choose to spend some of my new-item money with them and graze the used cases regularly.

My only issue is salesman turnover - can't develop a relationship with someone who might call if, say, a K85/1.8 came into the store.