Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #1

Hoy outlines Pentax camera plans

Haven't seen this posted yet. I read it as a positive. Concentrating on synergies and constructive integration. What's your take?

Hoya outlines Pentax camera plans news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

07-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #2

Original Poster
Title should have read Hoya of course.
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #3

if you go to Hoya's web site and look at the new release from yesterday. You will see that amateur photographer quoted one part of the announcement. The part that they quoted deals with Optics division not the Imaging division. The article completely takes things out of context.

Quotes from the announcement
QuoteQuote:
(ii) Optics area (optical glass and lenses, digital camera modules, micro-lenses, etc.):
The Tender Offeror and the Target will vertically integrate the design, materials, lenses, processing and module groups in the optics area, which is expected to strengthen cost competitiveness and to lead to qualitative structural reform of technology development capacity. They aim to become the only optics manufacturer in the global market which will be able to create new optics module system products. The Tender Offeror and Target will mutually utilize their respective manufacturing sites and customer bases, in order to secure a competitive edge against structural change in the optics industry including newly emerging Asian players.
QuoteQuote:
(v) Imaging systems area (digital cameras and binoculars, etc.)
In order to enhance the business’s value, the new company will differentiate its offerings by specializing in high-value added products with unique technology and will focus on areas where it has a competitive edge. This area will be positioned as a foundation for development of new optical-related equipment and is expected to diversify into the life care and security business areas.
oh and to finish off this part of the press release,

QuoteQuote:
(vi) With respect to new areas and other areas, the Tender Offeror and the Target seek to
invest aggressively in areas where they see future earnings growth opportunities. At the
same time, they will focus on selected business areas to improve efficiency and to
achieve optimal usage of managerial resources.

The Target’s PENTAX brand will continue in consideration of its importance and economic
value after the management integration between the Tender Offeror and the Target.

Last edited by Brew1brew; 07-03-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added more info
07-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So,
blah, blah, blah, basically ...

07-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
amazing how many words it takes a lawyer to say absolutley nothing on purpose.
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
enhance business value!!
vertically integrate!!
strengthen cost competitiveness!!
secure a competitive edge!!

It's all good stuff, people!!
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Haha, they dont call them spin doctors for nothing!
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
In order to maintain growth in this environment, it is necessary to distinguish from competitors by reinforcing cost competitiveness by lowering production costs and by increasing added value focusing on technologies.'
I think I might like to buy my next Pentax before that happens. Those camera companies with the plastic bodies etc. , the way they lowered production costs just sucks.

QuoteQuote:
we could become the only optical manufacturer in the global market having [sic] the ability of creating new optical module system products.'
WTF is the optical module system product that they would be the sole maufacturer of? No one knows.

QuoteQuote:
Hoya is today expected to start its tender offer for more than 50% of Pentax shares in a deal worth up to 105 billion yen which will make Pentax a wholly-owned subsidiary.
I didn't see any info saying Pentax was the slightest bit interested in this offer. A guy offered me 50 bucks for my tennis racket the other day. I wonder if he issued a press release too.

07-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This is one impressive skill they have going on. I read the press release and it says basically nothing. I mean are they going to continue to make Pentax cameras? Are they going to make Pentax lenses? Pretty basic stuff you would think.
07-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I guess they feel like they have to say something! They bring money to the table and at least they talk, unlike the Sony Reps that say nothing. No one really knows anything about Sonys new products and that frustrates the heck out of them. Pentax at least has a Road Map which is promising.

Tim H
07-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #11

What they are saying is...

The statement, dated 2 July, continued: 'In optical equipment and related materials we believe that, if the Target's [Pentax's] optical design and processing technologies and the Tender Offerer's [Hoya's] optical material development and precision processing technologies and mass production capability of optical lenses are vertically integrated, we could become the only optical manufacturer in the global market having [sic] the ability of creating new optical module system products.'

Means that they will use PENTAX's design and processing (Lens glass design and bodies) with Hoya's optical material development and precision processing technologies and mass production capability (Big mother of a factory that produces great glass)

Then effectively they will be the only manufacturer that can Design, build both lens glass with coatings and lens body all in one company .
07-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crashman Quote
The statement, dated 2 July, continued: 'In optical equipment and related materials we believe that, if the Target's [Pentax's] optical design and processing technologies and the Tender Offerer's [Hoya's] optical material development and precision processing technologies and mass production capability of optical lenses are vertically integrated, we could become the only optical manufacturer in the global market having [sic] the ability of creating new optical module system products.'

Means that they will use PENTAX's design and processing (Lens glass design and bodies) with Hoya's optical material development and precision processing technologies and mass production capability (Big mother of a factory that produces great glass)

Then effectively they will be the only manufacturer that can Design, build both lens glass with coatings and lens body all in one company .
so, what you are saying is they are going to be able to make lots and lots of good quality lenses, cheaper. sounds good to me
07-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

sorry, I'm bragging.

yes, vertical integration... is what I was describing over a month ago:

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
Hoya, I have learned from all the babble, is Japan's biggest optical glass maker. It is still to some degree good business sense to have some vertical integration, therefore I think it's probably very attractive for an optical glass manufacturer to also own and manage an optical lens design manufacturer: leverage your product portfolio, especially the Japanese 'keep it in the family' practice.