Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #1

New Pentax K-x Review

For the curious...
I've just recently posted our review of the K-x, a camera that I've literally been keen on since day one...I was lucky enough to be in attendance at it's introduction in NYC back in September I believe it was.

Anyway I really enjoyed our time with the K-x, a camera that really brings a good degree of fun to shooting, with digital filters that are actually useful/interesting, awesome IQ, and of course it continues to be such a good value.

It does have the painful flaw of lacking the viewable AF points, and some may question the AA batteries (I don't like them, but good lithium AA's last a really long time), but really it seems a great way to participate in the Pentax system (lenses!) for very little $$.

The review is here: Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera In Depth Review: Much Better Than Just Entry Level | neutralday

Happy to spoil the verdict:
"...In fact, because the K-x is so fun to use, takes such good pictures, and is so darned affordable, it’s not just highly recommended, it’s “Essential“. "

02-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks 100M, excellent review. I've been lusting after a white one for a while now as a backup and "carryround" to my K-20D. I now want one more than ever.

NaCl(maybe with my income tax return)H2O
02-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
A a good tax return should just about do it...given the current pricing
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This should turn out more Pentax users.
First time DSLR buyers more often than not look for reviews.
Although, they usually have a brand set in mind, they are usually swayed by good reviews.
With such good reviews and more users, I hope lens prices and more third party accessories would come out..like a third party really affordable ring flash!

02-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks 100M.
02-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks 100M, excellent review. I've been lusting after a white one for a while now as a backup and "carryround" to my K-20D. I now want one more than ever.

NaCl(maybe with my income tax return)H2O
That's what I did. I use the K20D for telephoto with a Sigma 150-500mm and the Kx with a 16-45mm for landscape and closeups. Awesome combination!!!
02-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 100meters Quote
For the curious...
I've just recently posted our review of the K-x, a camera that I've literally been keen on since day one...I was lucky enough to be in attendance at it's introduction in NYC back in September I believe it was.

Anyway I really enjoyed our time with the K-x, a camera that really brings a good degree of fun to shooting, with digital filters that are actually useful/interesting, awesome IQ, and of course it continues to be such a good value.

It does have the painful flaw of lacking the viewable AF points, and some may question the AA batteries (I don't like them, but good lithium AA's last a really long time), but really it seems a great way to participate in the Pentax system (lenses!) for very little $$.

The review is here: Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera In Depth Review: Much Better Than Just Entry Level | neutralday

Happy to spoil the verdict:
"...In fact, because the K-x is so fun to use, takes such good pictures, and is so darned affordable, it’s not just highly recommended, it’s “Essential“. "
Thanks for the review!!! You have stated what we owners feel about the Kx!!
02-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice review .. still undecided between a K-x and K-7 though.

02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
For one thing, it will boil down to a build preference...The K-7 has the better build, and no worries in the rain...of course there's the matter of those AF points, visible in the K-7 of course. Interestingly your decision won't come down to IQ, the K-x is not inferior there to the K-7.

I'd probably take the K-7 myself, it's just such a nice camera, and I like not worrying about my gear in the elements---but I suspect the K-x has the fun factor edge.
02-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I'm right there with you. I keep waiting, and waiting, fora K200D successor model that will split the difference between the two. I don't need a $1,000 camera with so-so high-ISO performance and I'm not yet ready to settle for a "K-m2" sort of camera. I'm wanting to spend my money on a better balanced blend of build-quality (K-7) and performance (K-x).

Sometimes I get to thinking that, rather than keep waiting, maybe I should just sell-off my Pentax gear and buy where there are more options for camera bodies and zoom lenses.
02-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

Wow, "essential"

Great write up about the K-x. As an owner I am proud to say that everything that you wrote about in the review is correct. Im new to digital photography and this is the perfect camera for me!

I posted a link to your review on my K-x blog that I started.

I enjoy the camera so much that I have to write about it when I am not shooting with it.
02-24-2010, 04:44 AM   #12

anozher review:
Pentax K-x - Unbiased digital camera reviews, prices, and advice