Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax x90? What's with that?

The Pentax X90 camera will feature an upgraded 26x optical zoom lens with wide angle to super telephoto range. Its predecessor, the Pentax X70, featured a 24x coverage. The Pentax X90 is a typical megazoom camera, SLR-like styling and flexible in its functions and settings. You may speak of a bridge between a compact and a DSLR camera, although the Micro Four Thirds cameras are on its way to fill that gap.

Pentax X90

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-21-2010 at 09:54 AM.
02-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

How do you mean?

Jason
02-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is simply the Pentax version of the more-or-less same camera that's been announced for Nikon, Olympus and (perhaps) Fuji already. I'm not 100% sure who builds them but the consensus seems to be that it's Sanyo. There are slight differences between each brand's camera (such as image-processing algorithms) but they are more alike than they are different.

However, it seems these cameras feature a new back-lit sensor which may go a long way toward reducing noise at high ISOs or in low light. While micro four-thirds and "micro APS-C" have my attention for compact alternatives to DSLRs these days... these megazoom point-and-shoots are still a legitimate option for many people moving up from tiny digicams with 3x lenses. The X90 probably cost Pentax next to nothing to create and at least gives the company a product in that particular niche.

As a point of reference, tests of the X70 seemed to agree that, while it trailed the Canon SX1/SX10 and Panasonic FZ28 just a bit, it was a solid performer in the class - with image quality that beat both the Nikon and Olympus variants. Its primary flaw seemed to be the lack of a diopter adjustment for the EVF.
02-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Might be the testing platform for the new DSLRs.
You would usually see the new tech on this bridge cameras first.
Who knows, it might even have the K-x type sensor that has low light-high-ISO capability.

02-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Who knows, it might even have the K-x type sensor that has low light-high-ISO capability.
Huh? These cameras have the smallest possible sensors. They only share looks with DSLRs.
02-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Banned

Fujifilm FinePix HS10 with 30x optical zoom

looks much better for about the same price.

02-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree... of the three or four related megazoom point-and-shoots that have been recently introduced, I think the Fuji looks like the best. But whether I would buy one as a back-up, vacation type of camera depends entirely on image quality. If the backlit sensor makes a very big difference in terms of noise at high ISOs and in low light, then perhaps we have a winner. But I'm not expecting DSLR quality.

However... for the purposes one of us would use a camera like this for... it doesn't have to have DSLR quality. It simply has to be a major step up from what megazoom point-and-shoots have offered up to now. In a perfect world, the backlit sensor would enable these cameras to offer, say, about what four-thirds sensors offered a few years ago. But that might still be asking too much. If image quality equals or surpasses that of Fuji's S100fs (with its 2/3 sensor), that would still be great.

Last edited by Biro; 02-21-2010 at 07:33 PM.
02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #8

If the IQ is anywhere near the S100fs I will definitely be looking seriously at this camera... I don't expect much though with that tiny sensor.

02-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Huh? These cameras have the smallest possible sensors. They only share looks with DSLRs.

Huh is right!? You must have missed what I said..I didn't say same sensor.
02-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Huh is right!? You must have missed what I said..I didn't say same sensor.
My point is that this camera almost certainly has a 1/2.3" or similar sensor. You're allowed to dream , but IMHO. you can't really expect any better high ISO performance from this camera than from the W90, the H90 or the i10.
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My point is that this camera almost certainly has a 1/2.3" or similar sensor. You're allowed to dream , but IMHO. you can't really expect any better high ISO performance from this camera than from the W90, the H90 or the i10.
I'm sure it's 1/2.3...which is why I'm not expecting anything near DSLR quality... but the back- and side-lit sensor is supposed to allow 200% more light. Depending on how you use that figure, that could be two stops or more. Most of these megazoom point-and-shoots are only good up to about ISO 400 at best.

But two stops higher is ISO 1600, isn't it? Again - I understand your point and I expect no miracles. But the improvements may be significant and possibly enough for cameras so equipped to finally be good enough for serious photographers to use on vacations and at other casual events without reservation.

Again, if image quality is similar to the Fuji's S100fs without the CA, I'd be interested.
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hehehe..that was also the kind of thinking that we had about the APS-C and how it compares to full frame but see how the K-x broke some sort of norms with it's APS-C sensor size but high ISO performance.
They might just surprise us yet again..
Dreaming is free, so why not..
02-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

I gave up on my DSLR and went x90. I jumped on board when some of the first came out and just got tired of lugging a big bag full of lenses around. I think the lil x90 will do me well if I can just get it to focus in low light which seems to plague all auto focus cameras even with focus assist.
02-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think it's lame. There is no clear segment of the market that this is intended for. Think about where EVIL is going to fill. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
02-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keep in mind, everyone, that this thread is from a year ago.
Closed Thread