Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
That for Pentax, innovation means changing the color of the body?
Or rather, it means that Hoya has taken Pentax's heritage seriously and intends to continue banking on it as a means to appeal to current Pentaxians and earn more market share at the same time.

Even if some of us aren't as excited by this silver K-7 as others, we should all rejoice that Hoya takes the heritage it inherited seriously. Otherwise we'd end up like Minolta users... banished to the dark depths of obscurity as Sony destroys the heritage it bought into.

02-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #47
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The silver model, conversely, will look worse with the black lenses. ...
I disagree. I think that black lenses look better on silver-and-black bodies. "Back in the day" (of film cameras) all of my favorite cameras were silver Nikons (such as the FE2) with black lenses. I do not own a single silver lens, and do not intend to buy one. But I would love to get a silver K-7.

Dan
02-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #48
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Could this limited edition silver K-7 merely be a trial balloon for the next camera?

Remember that the K2000/Km was available in a limited edition stormtrooper-white and now the K-x is available in white as a standard option. ...
I like the way you think! I hope that the K-7 replacement comes with the same compact, robust body as the current model, but with a choice of silver or black.

Hopefully Pentax has learned an important lesson from the success of the K-x color options. Sometimes the appearance of a product can shift a "fence sitter" to move off the fence. While color is not the most important characteristic of a camera, it certainly matters at the margin.

Dan
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The silver model, conversely, will look worse with the black lenses.
Besides the bicycle inner tube around the lens, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the look of this camera:

View Picture EXIF
Name:  GORE5138.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  76.3 KB

02-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You mean, those collector items they were already selling in ME-super Era?
If you can't innovate, decorate! What else do you do with a collectible?

Thank you
Russell
02-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Or rather, it means that Hoya has taken Pentax's heritage seriously
Pentax's heritage comes down to the color of the paint on the body? Really? Like this?

Thank you
Russell
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax's heritage comes down to the color of the paint on the body? Really? Like this?

Thank you
Russell
Considering DLSRs like Canons are a copy of the AP...I guess so. The black ones were still the special ones back then, funny how it's reversed now.

02-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking cam. However where is the response to all of the wonderful lenses being announced by Sigma?

Press release indicates listening to customers, well this customer would like a better selection of lenses, rather than a rehash of something already produced (unless of course it has a KX sensor in it.....).

I'd also love the focusing screen......

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-22-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: covet the focusing screen
02-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

wow, that looks absolutely nothing like the limited edition K-7 or the Spotmatic I posted. Way to take a random picture from Amazon and accomplish nothing with it! You win!
02-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #55
Nubi

You know, they used to charge extra for the black version. All standard models were Black and silver in the old days....
02-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
wow, that looks absolutely nothing like the limited edition K-7 or the Spotmatic I posted.
Maybe it needs a piece of inner tube? Come on you should be on my side. Anyone that can put inner tube on their camera shouldn't give a second thought to the color. Pretty isn't want it is about. I don't need or want a $1000 necklace.

Thank you
Russell
02-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Oh but pretty is what it is about...sometimes....

drool drool...
02-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Maybe it needs a piece of inner tube? Come on you should be on my side. Anyone that can put inner tube on their camera shouldn't give a second thought to the color. Pretty isn't want it is about. I don't need or want a $1000 necklace.
hehe, just because I don't care what my camera looks like doesn't mean I don't see the wisdom in brilliant marketing. I may not care, but tons of potential customers do. By releasing a camera which not only looks different but also evokes the classic Pentax cameras of old, Hoya is appealing to its old-time fans and drawing on potential new customers at the same time.

If you're disappointed because it's not a new camera, keep in mind that this isn't the time to launch a new camera. The K-x just came out, the K-7's not even a year old, and the important camera launch dates aren't upon us yet. Launching a limited edition now is perfect timing. It keeps the lineup fresh, adds interest, and as I mentioned earlier, it hearkens back to Pentax's glory days. It also uses up almost no development time, so it's not like their engineers wasted time on this at the expense of new features on future cameras.

My first post in this thread mentioned how I actually liked my black K-7 better. But the more I look at the Spotmatic sitting on my desk, the more I'd like to see a matching silver/black K-7 sitting right next to it. Pentax must be doing something right.

Name:  k-7-and-me-super.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  112.7 KB
02-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #59
Veteran Member

A few more pics....

Looks like they want to sell some FA ltds.....
02-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #60
Veteran Member

That's funny, & insightful

That's funny, & insightful.

I'm waiting for Canikon to offer dslrs in 100 colors, or limited edition 1,000 unit max production finishes.
Painting plastic can't be that difficult, I wonder why Canikon pass up this sales niche ?

Colored dslrs have proven quite popular for Pentax, well except there's quite a few K-x available used locally now, so not all the K-x sales are keepers.
It's kinda nice for me since no one locally carries brand new Pentax gear here.

K-x is CRAZY SMALL !

Hopefully pentax will make K-x replacement even smaller and offer more painted plastic colors to a broader market ?

If you can't innovate, decorate! What else do you do with a collectible?

Thank you
Russell