Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That's a new source of income to feed your LBA RatLady! What a great Idea. Imagine a lens with focusing aids that doesn't foul up the centre weighted and spot metering. You can make a fortune!
Well, I suppose they could give me some Limited glass, and some copies of the screen, and then I wouldn't have LBA to worry about so much. I'd actually just be glad to see them out there, or else I'd be talking to manufacturers and not the whole wide Interwebs.

They should still name them Ratzeyes, though. The beauty of it is only a small company we like could do that without copyright infringement.

I'm not exactly famous for my ruthless business acumen, of course. It's actually pretty hard to patent a 'mere idea' unless maybe you already have lawyers backing you up, anyway. May as well put it out there and see what comes back.

Too bad there isn't a company like Spiratone still around that I know of, I could just walk up, "Eh, forget the resume, just throw me in the think tank with a bunch of parts, you'll get something."

QuoteQuote:
In a recent class I taught to beginners, I suggested that the best use for the rule of thirds was to keep the subject out of the centre rectangle unless there was a good reason to have it there. I have grid screens in all my cameras. It helps me to keep things on an even keel. I use them for levelling mostly.
Hrm, it's probably a good thing. I try not to get too attached to any one screen type, but level's useful.

Crop marks, I wouldn't sneeze at. Or even little masks that'd do that for portraiture: I love the 3:2 format, but sometimes maybe too much, I end up being like, "Yep, now we need 8x12 prints or custom mats again."

02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
FACT: Pentax will be buying sensors from Sony (as do Canon & Nikon) in future, dumping Samsung.
Mouhahahaha Canon buying sensors from Sony, that's good one (unless P&S).
02-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #93
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mouhahahaha Canon buying sensors from Sony, that's good one (unless P&S).
DO you work for CANON????
02-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
DO you work for CANON????
...do you?

02-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #95
Veteran Member

129,800 yen including tax.
Think that was about the same price as the K20 titanium version.
02-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Today a dollar will buy me 89 Yen , just $1,459.43

Today a dollar will buy me 89 Yen , 129,800 yen is just $1,459.43

Another affordable Pentax collectable for the display case

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
129,800 yen including tax.
Think that was about the same price as the K20 titanium version.
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #97

When they mentioned curves and the Golden Ratio together, I was expecting the spiral of a nautilus shell on the screen! That would be cool, especially if the AF points were on the curves.

Honestly though, my preference is to have no lines whatsoever. How can you be free from convention when it's constantly thrust between you and your subject?

P.S. - not that I don't like using the golden section design, in fact I use it quite a lot. I certainly prefer it to the rule-of-thirds.

02-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
Honestly though, my preference is to have no lines whatsoever. How can you be free from convention when it's constantly thrust between you and your subject?

P.S. - not that I don't like using the golden section design, in fact I use it quite a lot. I certainly prefer it to the rule-of-thirds.
Well, if you're otherwise interested in that camera, have no fear: I bet there's plenty of folks here who'd be happy to swap+pay a little extra for that screen.

It all comes down to preferences, I'd say: some people are really into a clean viewfinder: me, I don't even see the lines unless I deliberately put my attention there. With my little EVF camera, I'd put all the info up except for the histogram, even. And then, only cause the histogram actually really *was* too much.
02-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And how does it contradict my statement in any way?
If I give you five dollars every time you bark like a dog, you probably would bark for as long as your greed held out even though it would be a bit silly. Being human you probably would get more bored than greedy at some point and wouldn't bark continuously racking in that $5 a bark. You might bark for a while then go off and talk to your friends or spend the money or something. You might even get to the point where you decided that you had enough money and no longer needed to bark.

A company isn't human though, if you would pay a company to bark like a dog, they will bark like a dog. All day, all night, working in shifts to get that $5 a bark. It might be that their other products don't make as much money if any (Pentax). Do you think they will spend money on developing those other products to make them profitable? Spending money and time making more bark is probably what will happen.

So while my post doesn't contradict your post, it was trying to make you think about what you really want from Pentax, and what you should be rewarding them for. If you want a fashion accessory, then fine, have at it, that seems to be what Ned is saying. If you want a better camera, you might want to think about it a minute or two.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 02-26-2010 at 11:22 PM.
02-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Of course there will be a better camera in the works. All companies are doing that, planning the next generation of cameras. But frankly I don't see what is wrong with Pentax coming out with such limited editions. Pentax has done it in the past with cameras from the K1000 SE to the LX2000.

Sad to say there are just too many nay sayers and other equipment trolls hanging around here who complain around too much, not that they are even remotely prepared to plonk down any money (if they even have any) for this Limited Edition K-7. If it doesn't suit you then no need to rant how useless it is to you because the folks at Pentax are quite likely better informed about market trends than internet armchair critics who quite likely know nuts to begin with.
02-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
The silver model, conversely, will look worse with the black lenses. Now almost all the lenses are black. So this accessorizing lust is for little kids! Who are then forced to sport their only one or two silver lenses wherever they go.
But, thing is, those are the only lenses you need.
02-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Of course there will be a better camera in the works. All companies are doing that, planning the next generation of cameras. But frankly I don't see what is wrong with Pentax coming out with such limited editions. Pentax has done it in the past with cameras from the K1000 SE to the LX2000.

Sad to say there are just too many nay sayers and other equipment trolls hanging around here who complain around too much, not that they are even remotely prepared to plonk down any money (if they even have any) for this Limited Edition K-7. If it doesn't suit you then no need to rant how useless it is to you because the folks at Pentax are quite likely better informed about market trends than internet armchair critics who quite likely know nuts to begin with.
Couldn't agree more.
Japanese trends offer a lot of choice, and the Japanese, as a culture, love "Limited Edition" stuff.
As can be seen from a lot of the negative comments in this thread, the point has been lost.
The run of this camera is only 1000, and is response to Pentax user requests.
It's not a "new" camera from Pentax, and it certainly hasn't lost it's focus in producing a new camera.
And, yes, it's not like Pentax hasn't done it before.
02-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
If I give you five dollars every time you bark like a dog, you probably would bark for as long as your greed held out even though it would be a bit silly.
*bark* *bark* *bark* *bark*

You can send me $20 via PayPal

If companies were really as one-dimensional as you're implying, we'd all be buying point and shoot cameras. Seriously, this is a special, limited edition camera for people who appreciate K-7's. Stop being so pessimistic about something so innocuous.

...or do you drive a beige '88 Volvo 240?
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

There are members here that spend a great deal of effort trolling the web in efforts to promote the Canon brand. Any angle they can work to discredit and they will take advantage of it. What could be more fun than joining a Pentax site to trash it's products and it's members.
02-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are lots and lots of items that have "limited editions" that companies sell for more, apparently because they are supposed to hold their value better and let you stand out from those around you. I think everyone gets edgy waiting for the next announcement from Pentax, but it definitely won't happen before the summer, even if it is just to take a new sensor and drop it in the K7 body.

A lot of people like to have things that are "different" from everyone else's. Lost in this argument is the fact that Pentax makes very good cameras. The fact that the kx comes in colors does not diminish the fact that it is also a very good camera. I just feel that good things will happen if they sell more.