Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
When I bought my 645D to K mount adapter it included Asahi Notification Name change document. January 2002 Pentax dissolved the Asahi Name offically.

I liked the AP 50th model, likely was for sale when Hoya closed down Pentax museum in Japan. I was always surprised Pentax put the word "Asahi" on it, after the public divorce between the two companies in 2002.

There was no "divorce". The Asahi Optical Company simply changed its name to Pentax Corporation. The Pentax Corp. ***WAS** the Asahi Optical Company.
Hoya/Pentax still owns the trademark rights to the Asahi name. I'm sure that, if you tried to sell a product with the Asahi name on it, you would quickly receive a firm "cease and desist" order from Hoya's lawyers.

I, too, thought it was a shame that they never sold the AP 50. I learned on a Spotmatic, with that distinctive silver pentaprism housing, and I now have a K10D. I love them both. I think that the Spotmatic is still a classic design both in appearance and ergonomics. It is the most pleasant camera to hold that I have ever encountered.

I hope that the AP 50 was not sold or discarded when they closed the Pentax museum. I would think that it would be on display somewhere in the Pentax headquarters building, or at least in secure, climate-controlled storage.

03-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather see electronic, adjustable, gridlines like in many Nikon bodies. Turn 'em on if you want 'em. Have settings for extra lines for architectural stuff, thirds, golden, whatever. Use the orientation sensor to let them rotate like an artificial horizon.

Also, the outer shell of the K-7 doesn't seem to be magnesium, it's still polycarbonate or whatever they're calling their uber-plastic. I was a little disappointed--the MZ-S actually feels like metal.

I think this silver K-7 and the silver DS look a bit better and more classic than some of the other silver bodies like *ist, rebel, and K-x--because like all those classic manual focus bodies, they also have black on the non-grip side of the body. And for what it's worth, I think black lenses look better on silver bodies than silver lenses look on black bodies...so from that perspective maybe silver body is more "versatile"...offset by the fact that there are a lot more black lenses available than silver lenses.
03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
the outer shell of the K-7 doesn't seem to be magnesium, it's still polycarbonate or whatever they're calling their uber-plastic.
I think it is metal (except for the popup flash). I can feel the difference to my polycarbonate shells. It feels much cooler. The painting however makes it look the same.
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I'd rather see electronic, adjustable, gridlines like in many Nikon bodies. Turn 'em on if you want 'em. Have settings for extra lines for architectural stuff, thirds, golden, whatever. Use the orientation sensor to let them rotate like an artificial horizon.
The disadvantage of on-demand grid lines in the viewfinder is that when the camera is powered off, the viewfinder can't be used because the guest/host LCD used to provide them turns dark without power. It also reduces viewfinder brightness slightly.

I don't have info for guest/host LCDs specifically, but I know some LCD display types also have issues (slowed response time, less light transmission) at very low temperatures, so I'd speculate that including on-demand gridlines *might* also have hindered the K-7's sub-freezing shooting capabilities.

QuoteQuote:
Also, the outer shell of the K-7 doesn't seem to be magnesium, it's still polycarbonate or whatever they're calling their uber-plastic. I was a little disappointed--the MZ-S actually feels like metal.
As falconeye says, it is unquestionably metal. Here's proof:

Last edited by knoxploration; 03-09-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Change to thumbnail