Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
If you're disappointed because it's not a new camera, keep in mind that this isn't the time to launch a new camera.
My disappointment would be seeing a company becoming more marketing over substance. The old adage of being careful of what you wish for, needs to apply to all those beating the Pentax drum.

Thank you
Russell

02-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I'd love to see more silver lenses. Then people could see you had a Pentax at a distance like before and like Canon owners have their white lenses. It's basically good advertisement.
You can see those Canon lenses for a mile away, the size of some of them.
I got the Pentax FA100-300 in silver.
Bought it cus it was a good price, had good reviews and is light.
I didn't like the colour at first, and wished it was black, but it's grown on me and I really like it now.
So, yeah, more silver lenses!
02-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
If you can't innovate, decorate! What else do you do with a collectible?

Thank you
Russell
Stay in the news, simple as that. And it works, so what ?
02-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #64
Inactive Account

No matter what the packaging, I'm sure the K-7 remains a very good camera.

Really, stuff like this probably adds bugger-all to the manufacturing costs, yet the sales gained more than make it back.

02-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Stay in the news, simple as that. And it works, so what ?
Imaging Resource Interview: Ned Bunnell, President, Pentax Imaging
QuoteQuote:
We did that primarily because we really do think consumers are looking at cameras today as fun, a fashion statement. And although a lot of people take photography seriously, we felt that there are a lot of other people out there that just want to buy a camera, and enjoy it, and make it a personal extension of who they are. And that so far has been working for us.
Thank you
Russell
02-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's real silver to carry it around from shoot to shoot -

Random Citations: Silver Audi A8
02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you find out the screen number, you should be able to order the screen with no troubles. It's a neat screen.

02-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Not quite the same... silver polycarbonate plastic vs silver on magnesium is quite different. Plus the lettering of Pentax is in black on the K-7, like cameras from the past. Retro cool.
It wouldn't be hard to fill in the K-x's letters to match, if you wanted, actually, but it might well still look a little different.

Looks kind of sharp, this, actually. I'm not all into silver cameras, myself, but plenty of Pentaxians are, so why not put it out there. Ain't hurting nothing. Admittedly, I might be alarmed if they decided to make em in a hundred novelty colors, (Could just see a couple years down the road: Ha! I can afford a K-7, but... It's bright purple....Hrm... ) But hey.

I still think Werticus' brown-on-silver is just a very handsome little camera, though. Very classy choice.
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dark side of the K-7 Limited Silver :)

I was wondering how it looks from behind.

So I searched and found the image...

[source: pentax.jp]

This is exactly how a silver edition has to look like and the first from Pentax since the *istDS Silver (launched exactly 5 years ago). Only the mode dial lacks to be silver. Compare for yourself:

[source: dpreview.com]

I own the silver DS and I must say it is staying looking good. Aging much more slowly than the black bodies. I don't know why, though
02-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #70
Veteran Member

I'm not buying a second K-7 anytime soon, and I wouldn't pay a premium, but if this is a standard option on the next Pentax camera I buy, I'd absolutely take it over black. (Or red or pink or army green or whatever.)
02-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is exactly how a silver edition has to look like and the first from Pentax since the *istDS Silver (launched exactly 5 years ago). Only the mode dial lacks to be silver. Compare for yourself:
I was wondering if the black treatment followed to the back, and I'm really glad it does. As far as the black mode dial, I prefer that over a silver one. The old Spotmatic and ME Super had a black mode dial too.
02-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I can really go for that new focus screen

cheers
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
yeah, I just wish it also had some kind of focusing aid too.
02-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
+1
Yeah, we had a long discussion in our German forum why focussing screens tend to have 1/3 grid lines when the 2000 year-old standard for aesthetics mandates a golden ratio grid.

Esp. with the KatzEye screens.

Now, we got the Japanese answer from Pentax: Because nobody tried hard enough.

I am pretty sure we have seen the end to the rule of thirds and 1/3 focussing screens and 1/4 LV grids.

It so much more pleasing to have proper golden ratio aids. The next best approximation so far was to use the center of rectangles formed within a 1/4 grid (5/8 which is 99% correct rather than only 93% with the rule of thirds).
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
+1
Yeah, we had a long discussion in our German forum why focussing screens tend to have 1/3 grid lines when the 2000 year-old standard for aesthetics mandates a golden ratio grid.

Esp. with the KatzEye screens.

Now, we got the Japanese answer from Pentax: Because nobody tried hard enough.

I am pretty sure we have seen the end to the rule of thirds and 1/3 focussing screens and 1/4 LV grids.

It so much more pleasing to have proper golden ratio aids. The next best approximation so far was to use the center of rectangles formed within a 1/4 grid (5/8 which is 99% correct rather than only 93% with the rule of thirds).
Did I miss something? From the picture, it looks like the focusing screen is divided into equal thirds, no φ to be seen — I think it's just mistakenly labeled.