Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anything Pentax sells that makes a profit, so they stay around long enough to regain some of their former stature is just fine with me. Companies make things to sell to people who will buy them.
Another example of why black lenses don't look so terrible on silver cameras.

02-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the "fears" of the appearance of black lenses are refuted in those pictures. It looks great with any lens.
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I think the "fears" of the appearance of black lenses are refuted in those pictures. It looks great with any lens.
Yeah, I don't really see a problem, there. If I ever get hold of a Limited, I don't think I'll be fussed about the colour, at least in most cases. I'll likely end up putting black hoods on any silver ones, anyway: (It's the FAs I like, mostly, anyway, and though my preferences run to black, it's not a big deal.) I figure it could actually look pretty sharp on a black body, and won't be all that conspicuous that way, anyway.

I bet if Pentax wanted to have some fun, they could probably mix and match some parts and have 'zebra' Limiteds.

It seems to me that Pentaxians of a collector-ly bent really quite often like the chrome body look and the other general nostalgia, whereas almost everyone else seems to prize the black bodies pretty strongly. Why not go all the way. Maybe put that old-style lettering on the bodies for good measure.

02-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #110

The $500 difference can only be justified by the collectors. Now the fate of a camera in such a collection is not enviable -- it won't get much use. So all in all, a black one will be happier.
03-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #111
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Considering DLSRs like Canons are a copy of the AP...I guess so. The black ones were still the special ones back then, funny how it's reversed now.
And with the ES and ES II, it was the chrome ones that were special since black was standard on those while black was special on the Spot F.
03-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #112
Veteran Member

I hate silver lenses, white lenses, or anything but black for that matter. Photo equipment shouldn't have any bright, reflective surfaces on it that might introduce reflections or flare into your shot (or to the shot of an unfortunate photographer in your vicinity). Ditto for cameras, always liked all black bodies better.

As for cosmetics, I don't like the silver from that perspective, either. To me it cheapens the look - it makes it look like all those cheap, plasticky AF bodies Pentax produced during their decline, the only thing making them supposedly "special" being how small they were (which if anything I viewed as a disadvantage with bigger than average hands).

03-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I guess it all depends on your definition of "Golden Rule". I've just done a bunch of research on the web regarding this, and it seems the term is used interchangeably for 2 different things.

# 1) a lot of people call the rule of thirds the "Golden Rule". This is generally considered incorrect, but all the same, I'd say over half the articles I read used "rule of thirds" and "golden rule" in the same meaning.

# 2) all the people correcting those who use #1 state that the rule of thirds is actually 1.618:1, which means the "Golden Rule" line should be slightly inward of the 1/3 line. The idea is to have the ratio of the inside section vs outside section be equal to the ratio of the outside section vs full dimension.

If you take #1 as the "Golden Rule", then the focusing screen does a pretty good job, but that's nothing new. I do think those added lines are pretty innovative.

If you take #2 as the "Golden Rule", then it could be argued that the top and bottom edge of the outer brackets line up perfectly with where the horizontal lines should be at 1.1618:1. You can then extrapolate the proper vertical lines by using the inside "X" as a reference.

I also don't think we're getting a full viewfinder view in any of these pictures. The "picture" of the focusing screen by itself is just a drawn-up diagram, it's not a real picture. The front view of the camera showing the focusing screen on the mirror is missing part of the top, and the picture of a scene with the focusing marks superimposed is missing some of the bottom. For all we know, this might not even be the final version.

In my opinion, this new focusing screen actually does a pretty good job of incorporating both the rule of thirds and some aspects of the Golden Rule at the same time.

If it had a focusing aid, I'd consider this to be the perfect focusing screen. Unfortunately, it does not

edit: see? (1.618:1 lines in GOOOOLD for GOLDEN Rule )
Attachment 55172
Thanks. And you're right, it does a pretty good job.

Many were disappointed that the Pentax AP 50th Aniv. was never sold :

I think there is a market for special edition models. And I think that Pentax has already brought out many cool examples.

The Pentax Z-1P could be had with interchangeable screens. And I believe also golden ratio.
Here was one thread about it :

“I'm trying to find out if Z-1p screens, in particular the FK-60 (AF sensor
field with golden section), can be fitted to other Pentax bodies, such as
the SFX/SFXn and the MZ-5/MZ-5n.”
http://www.mail-archive.com/pdml@pdml.net/msg57740.html

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
03-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Pentax is on a retro campaign.

I care not for the cosmetics but more for the ergonomics to get images and in this era of digital, software does amazing things.

Last edited by Clicker; 03-07-2010 at 05:43 PM.
03-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #115
Veteran Member

When I bought my 645D to K mount adapter it included Asahi

When I bought my 645D to K mount adapter it included Asahi Notification Name change document. January 2002 Pentax dissolved the Asahi Name offically.

I liked the AP 50th model, likely was for sale when Hoya closed down Pentax museum in Japan. I was always surprised Pentax put the word "Asahi" on it, after the public divorce between the two companies in 2002.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Thanks. And you're right, it does a pretty good job.

Many were disappointed that the Pentax AP 50th Aniv. was never sold :

I think there is a market for special edition models. And I think that Pentax has already brought out many cool examples.

The Pentax Z-1P could be had with interchangeable screens. And I believe also golden ratio.
Here was one thread about it :

的'm trying to find out if Z-1p screens, in particular the FK-60 (AF sensor
field with golden section), can be fitted to other Pentax bodies, such as
the SFX/SFXn and the MZ-5/MZ-5n.
Z-1p focusing screens on other bodies?
03-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #116

Better than black, but still not 'allwight'....

I shoot a lot in the bush here in Aussie Land, and darn, this black K7 I use gets so hot, can't even take 3 minutes of video!!!! - I WISH I HAD A K7 IN "ALL WHITE!!" - maybe I could keep things cooler & do more shooting. - OK, this silver version may be a scrap better, but it's still not all white. - All that being said, the K7 is doing a fine job, if it gets tooo hot, I just drink beer!
03-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robanstan_AU Quote
I shoot a lot in the bush here in Aussie Land, and darn, this black K7 I use gets so hot, can't even take 3 minutes of video!!!! - I WISH I HAD A K7 IN "ALL WHITE!!" - maybe I could keep things cooler & do more shooting. - OK, this silver version may be a scrap better, but it's still not all white. - All that being said, the K7 is doing a fine job, if it gets tooo hot, I just drink beer!
Here you go:

Name:  k-7-white.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  43.8 KB

"Why yes, officer, that IS the worst Photoshop job ever. I'm so sorry, I promise I won't do it again."
03-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #118
Nubi

Buying it, I think

???PENTAX 5000?????? K10D ?????????? - Yahoo!?????? - Yahoo!??????

or this, or both.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b109129063

Last edited by Nubi; 03-07-2010 at 11:01 PM.
03-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by Robanstan_AU Quote

I've had similar concerns in Southern Thailand, where at 90+% humidity and shade temperatures over 38c (that's 100+ if you still live in the stone age) caused condensation to form on the inside of my K20D's LCD when I was shooting in the sun. Though it felt like I was dyeing, the camera never missed a beat

I'm all for Robanstan's beer option when things get crazy hot.
03-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #120
Veteran Member

I'm guessing this one doesn't come with the grip and second battery?