Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
To get back on topic a little....personally I would only buy a 16-28 if I had a full-frame sensor. With APS-C, the zoom range is a little strange....
Strange? I have a 24-40 F 2.8 Tokina AT-X manual focus lens; the 16-28's angle of view on APS-C would be similar to a 24-42mm FF lens, about the same. Nothing strange about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
I can't imagine that many 1D MkIV users buying third part lenses so they must be aimed at the cheaper FF cameras. We haven't seen many of these....A850 is one. Do you think Sigma, Tokina and Tamron knows something about Pentax (or Sony, Canon, Nikon or Olympus for that matter) plans for sensor sizes in future cameras before we know?
Who knows? What they definitely do know, however, is that Nikon and Canon are the biggest players, and both (in addition to Sony) make FF dSLRs. Little point catering only to APS-C when FF lenses can also be used on APS-C anyway (the reverse is not always true). If you look at the third party lens offerings, what you basically get is some specialized lenses to expand the wide end of the range, with coverage up to about 150mm (in terms of the high quality stuff, not the slow, variable aperture, cheap lenses with zoom ratios exceeding 3:1). Beyond that, you can have any lens you like, as long as it's full frame.

03-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Agreed. Folks, I really believe what Ned, and another Pentax rep said in an interview about a year ago on the issue of FF. They are just not going in that direction, I just don't think it is going to happen anytime soon. Pentax's "FF" is going to be the 645D.

I'm sure the Tokina is for other brands.
..and why do people assume Pentax reps know? Ned is employed at a distributor (US in this case) along with thousands of others world-wide. They know the moment Pentax send them a fax with product data. Usually a month or two before the products hits the shelves.
03-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
..and why do people assume Pentax reps know? Ned is employed at a distributor (US in this case) along with thousands of others world-wide. They know the moment Pentax send them a fax with product data. Usually a month or two before the products hits the shelves.
Agree, they are not the engineering department which work with Tokina, Sigma etc.
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm late, but...

No it is not a sign. Sorry.

03-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think Ned is a little bit more than a typical product rep as President of Pentax USA. The U.S. market has been historically important to Pentax. That said, he was with *cough*canon*cough* not too long ago.
03-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think Ned is a little bit more than a typical product rep as President of Pentax USA. The U.S. market has been historically important to Pentax. That said, he was with *cough*canon*cough* not too long ago.
Well it looks that it's not the case anymore, market share is much more important in Europe than in the US. If you add to that the fact that the margin is notoriously higher (this is true for all consumer electronics) and the market itself bigger. You can understand that Pentax focus is not anymore on the US.

For that reason you have more colors available for the K-x in Europe than in US.

But this don't imply that Pentax rep know more about the strategy than US, I believe all info is kept as much as possible in Japan by Hoya.