Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Another case of the grass always greener at the other side of the fence.
I just can't understand this kind of thinking.
Put in other words, Pentax has to make a camera not because the others HAD already BUT because the others HAD NOT

Rui

02-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
The last thing Pentax needs is a model between the K-X and the K7. They have enough entry to mid level models already.

What they need is a true pro camera to be the flagship model. Something along the lines of a D3S. Full frame, with great high ISO super fast autofocus, 12-15mp, and an integrated grip (must of us buy battery grips anyways). a half dozen lenses to go with it would nice too.

I know.....keep dreaming
02-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wait untill September, 2010
02-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
wait untill September, 2010
Don't say that OGL!!! I'm about to buy a Pentax! Either a lightly used K200D (weather sealed) or a new K-x! I already waited until now, past PMA (nothing big happened) and now until the beginning of March for Pentax's "new" camera!

p.s. I don't have a camera right now because mine was stolen while in Shanghai :-(

02-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My thoughts (since this is just a thoughts/wish thread) is that we will see an upgrade of the K-7 instead of a "mid level" body which is a cross of the two. I think the next body will feature a K-x sensor, but with features of a slightly improved K-7, in a K-7 copy-cat body style. Notable improvements will feature improved video (1080)and some manual control (not fully) as well as improved menu and button functioning. If this is correct, Pentax will have a very user-friendly flagship, with extremely low noise levels and full HD video capabilities which would further push the level of the ASP-C bodies competition at an affordable price (less than let's say, 15-20% less than the D300s or 7D).

Jason
02-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Don't say that OGL!!! I'm about to buy a Pentax! Either a lightly used K200D (weather sealed) or a new K-x! I already waited until now, past PMA (nothing big happened) and now until the beginning of March for Pentax's "new" camera!

p.s. I don't have a camera right now because mine was stolen while in Shanghai :-(
Don't worry about his predictions, next month he will post "Just wait until November"

Jason
02-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #22
ogl
Pentaxian

K-7 and K-x's replacement will be on September, 2010 at Photokina.
02-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Don't worry about his predictions, next month he will post "Just wait until November"

I know but they eventually come true (more or less)!

Jason
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-7 and K-x's replacement will be on September, 2010 at Photokina.
See this is exactly what I was afraid of hearing... :-( I was gonna buy a K200D (which will be really outdated in sept.) or a K-x (and Pentax will probably announce a weather sealed K-x, which I need)!

02-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A K6 (k7 with kx sensor) would not be an entry level camera, there is nothing entry level about it. Weather sealed metal body, penta prism, high resolution screen and two thumb wheels, that is still high class. Set the same price as the K7 is now, or slightly less.

Then who would buy the K7? Probably nobody, so discontinue it and pump out the K6, and paper release (or at least hint about) the K8. Those who want a new top of the line model, and are ready to pay for it, get something to wait for. Those who wanted a k7 but got cooled down when they saw the sub-par sensor (a step down from the K20) and don't want the menu driven non-WR single thumb wheel KX can jump at the k6. I would.
02-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
Banned

Another case of the grass always greener at the other side of the fence.
Maybe Pentax should just buy those and re-brand them..
I would just like a firmware upgrade on my K-7 for full manual video control like Canon did last year for the 5D MKII. Maybe you SHOULD THINK BEFORE POSTING.
02-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Maybe Pentax should just buy those and re-brand them..
You think you are joking? I think you are not

If Pentax came up with a 5D rebranded and modified to accept KAF lenses I`d be first in line damn it
02-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photokina is a good opportunity for Pentax to update its DSLR line. And, frankly, I'm firmly in the camp that believes there's room for three APS-C sensor DSLRs in the line up.

The K-7 could be updated, a replacement for the K200D could be added (essentially this could be a K-x with weather sealing, visible auto-focus points in the viewfinder and evolutionary auto-focus improvements) and the K-x can be left alone for another year as a great value proposition in the entry-level DSLR space.

Full-frame? Come on, guys... it's time to drop this pipe dream. It's not going to happen - the company has even said so. We can't even get Pentax to come out with a version of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens or a DA replacement for the FA 35mm f/2.0 - designs already sitting on the shelf - after years of pleading. Do you think they're listening to requests for a full-frame DSLR? It's time to move on.

But all of this is beside the point. The problem with being a Pentaxian is that we always seem to be waiting for the camera we really want while the competition continues to flood the market with all manner of alternatives.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying the K-7 and K-x aren't great cameras. But Pentaxes always seem to be obviously lacking in one area or another right from the time of their introduction. And the maddening thing is that most of the shortcomings wouldn't have been that difficult or expensive to avoid at the design or manufacturing level. And don't even get me started again on the holes in Pentax's lens line up (my references above are only the tip of the iceberg).

Pentax cameras are quite good but generally seem to be a half-step behind the major competition. On the subject of lenses, the company seems to be suffering from total paralysis. It's getting to the point - at least for me - that speculating about Pentax's next camera or lens is no longer fun and more of an exercise in frustration.

Sorry guys... I don't mean to depress or upset anyone. But my frustration is real. And you can see by my kit line-up below that I've tried hard to remain a loyal Pentaxian.

Last edited by Biro; 02-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.
02-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Do you think they're listening to requests for a full-frame DSLR? It's time to move on.
Before trying my FA Limiteds on ME Super... maybe.

Now, that I have tried it? Not in this life

Seriously year or two from now on and I`m getting a used 5D and submitting it to mirror surgery.
02-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't read most of the posts, however in my opinion if Pentax wants to use existing technology to make something the consumers want they'll make a camera the size and weight (or smaller) of the KX, with the sensor from the K-7.
They'll of course want it weather sealed.
Although I know that most newbies want a Zoom how about offering a Pancake lens with it as the kit lens, making it into an even more compact and attractive package.
02-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

"I know but they eventually come true (more or less)!"

Your words, not mine.

Jason