Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Weather-sealed K-x with AF points in VF and 12 MP sensor will kill K-7's sales.
K-8 will be upgraded K-7 with better video, fps and new AF system.
Definitely.
I see Pentax keeping this clearly different two-camera line up for a while: an entry-level, and one for the advanced user crowd.

02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #32

Alright, here's my 2 cents worth. Forget the intermediary model between the Kx and K7. Both models will need upgrades within the year. What I want to see improved on both is the AF speed and algorithm. Something closer to Nikon's 51 point AF sensor. More fps. I probably wouldn't use the video, but lost of others will, so upping the res on the video and manual control for sure. FF would be great but I probably will never afford it anyway. Otherwise I would have already jumped ship and gotten on of the D3 flavors.
One more thing, I wish they would resume the split-image focusing screen. Even with a good AF, it's nice to be able to verify my subject is in focus
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Canon can get away with having a camera range so wide it would make Occam blush. Pentax can't, and nor would things be any better if they had half a dozen models in rotation all the time.

I think Canon does it to help divide and conquer. Canon releases a new upper-lower-middle-high-end camera, and then, suddenly, all the friggin' reviewers are saying "Pentax/Nikon/Olympus really have no competitor for it."
02-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #34

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have the K20D and am reasonably happy with it. If I was to upgrade I would want a body as big as a K20D if not bigger, I just don't like the feel of the smaller bodies. 14.6mp is enough in my opinion, any more and it will create more noise problems. The fps of the K-7 is fast enough, I mean, really, 5 fps is more than enough for just about all situations. I think they should just concentrate on making a great camera that captures great IQ instead of trying to add all the other functions.

03-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #35
Inactive Account

We have to be realistic also!

Come on! Look at what we got, and for the price we pay! We got great optics, affordable WR system and built in SR. This is why i came to Pentax!

I personaly think Pentax should have alot of "cudos" for the things they do from their level.

To have the equal same gear in Canikon costs alot more! And i dont have that much gear, but i could not afford it in canikon land.

I think its a damn great company!

Trust me, i want better AF to. But those of you that have panic about it, why dont you just change brand? I changed three times, though being in Pentax the longest. I can see myself change again, but at the moment i believe THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO BE HERE! Things can only get better. Be positive.

03-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-7 and K-x's replacement will be on September, 2010 at Photokina.
it makes sense, i agree. thank you for the info, i don't want to wait another 6 months, i'll just grab K-7 this month.
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EVIL FF

Skip the DSLR FF - go straight for the EVIL FF.

03-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
why would anyone want a K7-Kx hybrid ? in a few months, both cameras and technological advancement and features will be just a thing of the past. some of you guys are thinking backwards. its not even an upgrade for petes sake.
03-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
A K6 (k7 with kx sensor) would not be an entry level camera, there is nothing entry level about it. Weather sealed metal body, penta prism, high resolution screen and two thumb wheels, that is still high class. Set the same price as the K7 is now,
Yes it's called the K7....
03-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It is, and I'm not buying it, not with a sensor that is a couple of years behind competition.
03-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
It is, and I'm not buying it, not with a sensor that is a couple of years behind competition.
Don't make a fool of yourself. The Nikon D200 was enough of a camera for Pros around 2005 and the present sensor from the K7 is far more performing.

I can understand that 6MPx was not enough for many photographers back in the days, and that 10MPx was much better then 14MPx offers a bit of cropping possibility (with print in mind) But now we are at a threshold with pixel count. I have read several interviews of Pros (from different specialities) who considers that they have enough pixels for their needs.

Now, all the craze is on high isos. But if you looks closely, we're here also almost at a threshold. I have seen in a test of the new Canon 1Dmk IV and Nikon D3S, that the sport photographers that were shooting in the stadium were shooting at f5.6 / 1/1000s. That requires insane sensitivity (around 12800 iso)

But the thing is, the Pentax is not made for that. It's a small, rugged camera for travel and outdoor use. Iso from 100 to 800 are enough for most cases (sometimes i would even like 50 iso like Velvia)

You need to looks again at "classic" photography like Don McCullin, Cartier Bresson, Robert Franck etc... The dynamic range, iso sensitivity, and definition of their images were actually very poor according to today standards. But their type of photography weren't actually needing it. People who wanted high definition weren't using Leica, they were using large and medium formats depending on the compromises they were willing to do.

People shall stop focusing on the sensor. There's much more about a camera, like :
- Build,
- Viewfinder,
- Shutter / mirror noise,
- size / weight
- Autofocus speed,
- Autofocus accuracy

etc...

Sensors are truly like film, it's not because it's not the latest generation that it's not relevant. kodachrome was an old dog and still because of it's unique rendition, it was quite popular.

The sensor of the K20D / K7, has a lot of qualities that have been discussed around this forum. I know some people who were using Nikon in the film days and have switched to Canon because they didn't like the Nikon rendition.

If your point was that you were needing the iso or didn't like the rendition, or needing more definition, then your argument would be respectable. But saying that the camera is not relevant because this is not the latest generation is making yourself ridiculous.

Regards,
Guillaume
03-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Don't make a fool of yourself. The Nikon D200 was enough of a camera for Pros around 2005 and the present sensor from the K7 is far more performing.

According to dxomark the K7 is beaten by Nikon D200, especially in dynamic range but also in low light iso. I stand corrected. It is not a couple of years behind, it's more like 4 years.

So I rephrase. I'm not buying the K7, not with a sensor that is 4 years behind competition.
That might not be a problem for you, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
03-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #43
Forum Member

The guessing on my part:
K7 stays the top DSLR for this year (remember Pentax hold back the 645D because of the K-7)
The Pentax 645D will be the top camera introduction this year
Also I think there might be a camera between K-x and point-and-shoot (maybe a four-thirds).
It is also very interesting why Pentax is keeping quiet about the K-7 firmware updates, in every possible form they acknowledge the need for manual controls in video, but don't really share the fact if they are working on it or not.
Any ideas on my thoughts?
03-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #44
ogl
Banned

According to dxomark the K7 is beaten by Nikon D200, especially in dynamic range but also in low light iso. I stand corrected. It is not a couple of years behind, it's more like 4 years.

So I rephrase. I'm not buying the K7, not with a sensor that is 4 years behind competition.
DxO is laboratory test of "naked" sensor. It's not real life photos. K-7 is just a bit worse than K20D and better than K200D in terms of noise.
03-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Basing your buying decisions on a composite index like DXO is laughable and unreasonable to say the least. You may want to try it instead.

Don't like it, don't buy it. That's fine of course.

Would you purchase a processor or graphic card based on composite score from "industry standard" benchmarks? If you'd do that, you've been ripped. Sorry for you.